Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

The E-Ray undisguised on the road

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 12:04 PM
foreignbishop
Pro

Received 701 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
I understand that my Plaid will simply destroy any Vette in regular mode (not in drag strip mode) on any given day if encountered on the street. The C8Z will be looked at the same as a '67 427 car on Mecum someday...and the C8Z will not be as coveted as may think (being a mass production) when compared to other Vettes that were more limited in production like a ZL1. It will just be another mid-engine car that was late to the game when compared to Ferrari, Lambo, and Porsche. The FE platform is the American heritage of Corvette...the fad is the ME C8 that will be short lived until it is EV...which zero emission is where the entire industry is heading including hydrogen.

The difference between my opinion and most is that I'm on the inside of all of the discussions relating to zero emission vehicles on a weekly basis, as I am having to look at emerging technology to meet the State and Federal Govt's demands. Which I can guarantee that Ford, GM, and Mopar are even under more pressure....example Dodge just said goodbye or is ending the Hemi V8 altogether. I don't expect everybody to like what I am saying it is just a reality that will become sooner than later. Bookmark this thread, come back to it 2 years from now and let's see where we are at in the discussion.

I would say it is laughable, but it is really more sad for the people who won't be able to afford a C8Z because it will probably be selling for $40K over MSRP when it comes out in next year or even 2023. Then in 2025 when the price comes down because the majority of people are buying EV/Hybrid it will be old news and the ICE car will be sitting on the lots like the C8 Stingrays are starting too today. I got my C8 for MSRP, let's see how many people get the most coveted Vette for that price next year or the year after. That coveted title as you suggest will price most potential buyers right out of the market....plus delays at the Bowling Green plant.
While I can understand the shift, the demand for Corvette is higher than it has ever been in the past. Why? Because of where they put the engine. Sure it's been an FE platform all it's life but most would agree, the vision for the car has always been ME. Now, it's happened. GM one upped itself by doing it before cars went electric and they did again by putting the most powerful V8NA engine into it. The Z06 won't be massed produced IF you are comparing it to Ferrari, Lambo, etc. Comparing it to itself in base trim, it is limited production. If everybody just saw this car as another Ferrari, Lambo, etc. then why even take a liking to it? It's for the reasons I stated above AND the price. The current economy doesn't allow for mass producing much of anything in the way of automobiles. As each day goes by, it's a day closer to the C9 being unveiled. That's in total agreement with the shift. It also means the production of C8 (although in it's 3rd year) is closer to middle aged than it is its infancy. For economic reasons and time, you may not see a single C8 sit on a single dealers lot unless it's over MSRP. Therefore, long after the car is gone, the demand will remain for those who never got one. That alone, will keep it valuable.
The following users liked this post:
CorvettoBrando (12-21-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 12:05 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 440 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by foreignbishop
This is exactly right. Plus, it's a bespoke motor. That makes the car unique in every aspect. It also makes it more exotic. If electric IS the future of the Corvette, the Z06 IS what will be coveted. I think if you ask most, they would always want the Corvette ICE w/out FI.
It makes it unique in the fact that like most new GM motors bespoke will become "bebroke" or soon to "be broken". You really think that a specialty motor is going to come out of the gate without a bunch of issues? Look at the Lotus/GM LT4, the LS7, and even the current LT2 issues, not to mention DCT failures. There is a reason BMW shifted away from a DCT for it's higher HP applications in favor of ZF, the M4 Performance is as fast or in some instances faster than C8 Stingray too. C8 looks way better though...but 4 passenger vs. 2.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:09 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 440 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by foreignbishop
While I can understand the shift, the demand for Corvette is higher than it has ever been in the past. Why? Because of where they put the engine. Sure it's been an FE platform all it's life but most would agree, the vision for the car has always been ME. Now, it's happened. GM one upped itself by doing it before cars went electric and they did again by putting the most powerful V8NA engine into it. The Z06 won't be massed produced IF you are comparing it to Ferrari, Lambo, etc. Comparing it to itself in base trim, it is limited production. If everybody just saw this car as another Ferrari, Lambo, etc. then why even take a liking to it? It's for the reasons I stated above AND the price. The current economy doesn't allow for mass producing much of anything in the way of automobiles. As each day goes by, it's a day closer to the C9 being unveiled. That's in total agreement with the shift. It also means the production of C8 (although in it's 3rd year) is closer to middle aged than it is its infancy. For economic reasons and time, you may not see a single C8 sit on a single dealers lot unless it's over MSRP. Therefore, long after the car is gone, the demand will remain for those who never got one. That alone, will keep it valuable.
So I don't want to argue with anybody over speculation. I know what I know based on the direction of the industry I work in and based on owning a **** ton of cars and motorcycles, which includes building and modifying those cars as well...my C5 was in Vette Mag 2x and Street Scenes as well as one of the first on HPTuners site back in the day. So let's just come back in 2 years and see where we are at in the discussion. It's to your benefit if I'm wrong and I really don't have that big of an ego if I'm wrong I will be first to stand corrected and learn something from it.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:13 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

Just to throw a monkey's wrench into the discussion; why not have a Z06 E Ray version?
The following 3 users liked this post by zland:
Hemi Dave (12-25-2021), msm859 (12-17-2021), SoonerSpeedFreak (12-23-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 01:37 PM
foreignbishop
Pro

Received 701 Likes on 311 Posts

It makes it unique in the fact that like most new GM motors bespoke will become "bebroke" or soon to "be broken". You really think that a specialty motor is going to come out of the gate without a bunch of issues? Look at the Lotus/GM LT4, the LS7, and even the current LT2 issues, not to mention DCT failures. There is a reason BMW shifted away from a DCT for it's higher HP applications in favor of ZF, the M4 Performance is as fast or in some instances faster than C8 Stingray too. C8 looks way better though...but 4 passenger vs. 2.
Despite valve issues the LS7 is a platform all manufacturers are aware of. Sure, get the heads replaced. That hasn't stopped anyone from desiring one because of the mystique around such big displacement and power. If the LT6 breaks, so what. Warranty The whole thing around Gemini etc. make it uniqure.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:32 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by zland
Just to throw a monkey's wrench into the discussion; why not have a Z06 E Ray version?
An electric assisted TT DOHC is coming down the road.
The following 4 users liked this post by Chrisrokc:
Hemi Dave (12-25-2021), MDeg (01-09-2022), SoonerSpeedFreak (12-23-2021), wfoZ06 (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 02:35 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,250 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Actually BMW adopted the ZF for the G80/82 because they were incorporating an x-drive. A first for both the M3 and M4.

I just put my deposit on an M4 x-drive. Although my dealer said it'll come next summer lol.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:41 PM
walleyfisher
Le Mans Master

Received 1,664 Likes on 740 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Winner -- Modified
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Corvette_Nut

Why does it have disc brakes if its truly electirc?
Servo motors can become the brake
Old 12-17-2021, 02:55 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyfisher
Why does it have disc brakes if its truly electirc?
Servo motors can become the brake
That's not how that works.

Nobody said it's electric either. It's expected to be the same ol DCT in the back with electric motors in the front.
SoonerSpeedFreak (12-23-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 03:09 PM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkDiverZ06
You understand this is the appeal, right? The 100% ICE C8Z06s and ZR1s will be highly coveted in a future where all new cars are electric appliances. I wouldn't be surprised if in 20 years both cars will be worth over twice their MSRPs.
Only the ones that are kept in garage and not driven. Anything over 15k miles will not be that high I would think but who knows. If they ban ice cars on the road then only the super rich will buy perfect example and keep in a garage.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stingcan:
SoonerSpeedFreak (12-23-2021), Z0HS1CK (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 03:17 PM
JKU007FL
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 173 Posts

I wonder if the "source" of this "E-Ray" is the same source who guaranteed that the C8Z will be TT.
The following 2 users liked this post by JKU007FL:
elegant (12-17-2021), Z0HS1CK (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 05:29 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stingcan
Only the ones that are kept in garage and not driven. Anything over 15k miles will not be that high I would think but who knows. If they ban ice cars on the road then only the super rich will buy perfect example and keep in a garage.
We don't know what the future may bring. The whole push for EV now now now could slow down once we change "the office". We don't know. But i do agree that specialty cars like the C8Z will hold that extra value, just because of what it is. And regular performance cars like the C7Z, or C8 stingray etc will not.

Originally Posted by JKU007FL
I wonder if the "source" of this "E-Ray" is the same source who guaranteed that the C8Z will be TT.
hahaha
Old 12-17-2021, 06:08 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 3,710 Likes on 1,394 Posts

The negative energy is strong with you.
The following 3 users liked this post by SharkDiverZ06:
CorvettoBrando (12-21-2021), IdahoZ (01-29-2022), Only1cannoli (01-03-2022)
Old 12-17-2021, 06:18 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
We don't know what the future may bring. The whole push for EV now now now could slow down once we change "the office". We don't know. But i do agree that specialty cars like the C8Z will hold that extra value, just because of what it is. And regular performance cars like the C7Z, or C8 stingray etc will not.

hahaha
I doubt any change in "the office" will have any material change in the speed of the transition. Yes, the last one did create a speed bump, but we have reached critical mass in motion - worldwide - the last holdout Toyota just announced a 35 billion dollar investment in EV's. The rest of the world - as well as many states are not going to change direction or speed if there is another hiccup in "the office". I would also disagree with your premise that only specialty cars will hold extra value. If the premise is that when ICE vehicle are no longer made, the former will hold extra value, that should apply to many - including the C7Z, C8 etc. I for now, have kept my C7 Stingray with the 7 speed manual transmission - could be a future classic.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:30 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

I'm gonna be the third person to say, " I think it the Grand Sport". The GS was a best seller during its' tenure as both a C6 and C7 and it has heritage in a very cool sounding name. Nobody from GM has ever said they are not going to build a C8 Grand Sport (and if I am mistaken, please enlighten me)

Absolutely no reason to drop a cash cow.....That being said, I could imagine the "E-ray" coming in after the GS to add to the platform...

Just my 2 cents
snork (12-18-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 06:40 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

I was told once the E-ray is the GS.... guess we will see.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:48 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by msm859
I doubt any change in "the office" will have any material change in the speed of the transition. Yes, the last one did create a speed bump, but we have reached critical mass in motion - worldwide - the last holdout Toyota just announced a 35 billion dollar investment in EV's. The rest of the world - as well as many states are not going to change direction or speed if there is another hiccup in "the office". I would also disagree with your premise that only specialty cars will hold extra value. If the premise is that when ICE vehicle are no longer made, the former will hold extra value, that should apply to many - including the C7Z, C8 etc. I for now, have kept my C7 Stingray with the 7 speed manual transmission - could be a future classic.
I think the change in office might have some effect. Maybe not a full reverse or a halt but definitely a change in speed for sure.

If you think about it. Before he went into office, how many manufacturers really did push for EV production? There were thoughts of it or maybe plans for it regardless. The whole "ban" took place and we saw every car maker push them out like high schoolers having babies. That goes to show that car makers obviously have the know how, the engineering and the equipment to do it. They just had to do it in a hurry once he went into office IMHO.

The reason why i think the C8Z will hold more value over regular performance cars like the C7Z, stingray, hellcat, GTR's and all those others. Is because those don't hold any special "value" in itself to hold actual value. The C8Z, being the last NA z06 we'll see, the bespoke engine, FPC, all that jazz definitely has a special flare to it.

And also, let's say 2 decades from now when the man forces gas prices to 10+ dollars a gallon. There won't be many people wanting to drive these cars often. The ones on the road still doing so will be cars that bring some sort of nostalgia to actual driving. Maybe for recreational purposes too. Like if i had a C8Z, and tomorrow they announced 20 dollars a gallon, i'd still take the car out for a drive. A quick drive but i'd still drive. Now if tomorrow they announced 20 dollars a gallon and i still have my C7Z, then i'll go outside, take some pics of it, go back inside and put it for sale online to someone that will drive it at 20 dollars a gallon of gas. Or use it strictly for race purposes at a track etc.

Get notified of new replies

To The E-Ray undisguised on the road

Old 12-17-2021, 09:53 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 3,710 Likes on 1,394 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
The stick will help future value for sure, but classic...Zero chance. You'd need a ZR1 for that, with some potential for Z06 with Z07 and stick.
MDeg (01-09-2022)
Old 12-18-2021, 01:26 AM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,043 Posts

A classic is a classic the day it is built....its not badging, low production or anything else...

I believe the car certainly has a chance. After all look at the C5 Z06....I didn't see that coming....
Old 12-18-2021, 02:59 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
I think the change in office might have some effect. Maybe not a full reverse or a halt but definitely a change in speed for sure.

If you think about it. Before he went into office, how many manufacturers really did push for EV production? There were thoughts of it or maybe plans for it regardless. The whole "ban" took place and we saw every car maker push them out like high schoolers having babies. That goes to show that car makers obviously have the know how, the engineering and the equipment to do it. They just had to do it in a hurry once he went into office IMHO.

The reason why i think the C8Z will hold more value over regular performance cars like the C7Z, stingray, hellcat, GTR's and all those others. Is because those don't hold any special "value" in itself to hold actual value. The C8Z, being the last NA z06 we'll see, the bespoke engine, FPC, all that jazz definitely has a special flare to it.

And also, let's say 2 decades from now when the man forces gas prices to 10+ dollars a gallon. There won't be many people wanting to drive these cars often. The ones on the road still doing so will be cars that bring some sort of nostalgia to actual driving. Maybe for recreational purposes too. Like if i had a C8Z, and tomorrow they announced 20 dollars a gallon, i'd still take the car out for a drive. A quick drive but i'd still drive. Now if tomorrow they announced 20 dollars a gallon and i still have my C7Z, then i'll go outside, take some pics of it, go back inside and put it for sale online to someone that will drive it at 20 dollars a gallon of gas. Or use it strictly for race purposes at a track etc.
"might" "change" the speed - sure. But at this point I would say it would be de minimus. A LOT has changed the last 5 years - more than a changing of the guard. Batteries continue to drop in price. Most importantly capitalism. 5 years ago Tesla was still losing money. Today they are the most valuable car company on the planet. Every other car company is chasing Tesla. Guess what Tesla sells - ONLY EV's. What is more important to GM, the Corvette or stock prices? Soon EV's will reach price parity with ICE vehicles and the flood gates will open. The rest of the world is not going to blink regardless of what the US does.
MDeg (01-09-2022)

Quick Reply: The E-Ray undisguised on the road