C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 10:48 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Default ZR1 brake rotors

Hi gang, for those of you that have had to replace your front brake pads on your ZR1 did you have to/need to replace the rotors as well? My past experience has been that I would get 2 sets of pads changed for every time you had to change the rotor. I don't track my ZR1, but it's got approx. 62K miles on it now. Also does anyone happen to know who/where I can find the best price and availability on the rotors? L:ooks like the best I can find so far is Rockauto at approx $ 3800.00

Last edited by Thomasmoto; 02-26-2024 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:21 AM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,148 Likes on 601 Posts

Don't replace carbon brake discs unless they're chipped or cracked or weigh less than the minimum weight for the disc in question. With carbon rotors thickness is irrelevant.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hib Halverson:
magredrod (03-03-2024), Thomasmoto (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 11:23 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Default Zr1

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
Don't replace carbon brake discs unless they're chipped or cracked or weigh less than the minimum weight for the disc in question. With carbon rotors thickness is irrelevant.

Sounds good, thanks for your response.
The following users liked this post:
magredrod (03-03-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 11:44 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,218 Posts

As Hib said about the rotors. I'm surprised that a non-tracked car went through 2 sets of pads in 62K miles.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:53 AM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
As Hib said about the rotors. I'm surprised that a non-tracked car went through 2 sets of pads in 62K miles.
I am surprised too. I see an awful lot of vehicles come through my shop with CC brakes that I am certain never see a track. Almost all of them have hardly any wear on the pads.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:28 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Default Zr1

Originally Posted by range96
I didn't mean that I've gone through 2 sets on this car, I meant that had been my experience in the past with prior cars that I have owned., including my 16 Z06. This will be the first set replaced on my ZR1. Sorry for the confusion.
magredrod (03-03-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:03 AM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 375 Posts

It’ll be highly unlikely the rotors are done in for just a street driven car. You have to really be going hard (like at a track) where you might actually see some red glow from the rotors to get them to a point where the rotors lose density.

There is an individual weight printed on every CC hat/rotor assembly. Measuring the weight is a bit of a PITA. Taking the brakes apart, thoroughly cleaning the rotor assembly (including all the little holes), then baking it in an oven to evaporate any remaining solvent….its quite an ordeal.

To be honest, I have never paid attention if these numbers and marks are there on Corvette rotors, but there is a much better way to measure density.

This can be done on the car, maybe even with the wheel still on. This Proceq-Carboteq wear indicator lines up to a few pre marked lines on the hat and it measures the density. The spec is printed right next to the mark and you know in seconds if you’re still good.

Now I’m not saying go out and buy this $6k+ on one of these. Just go to a shop that has one and pay them a little to have them spend 10 minutes to measure your car in the parking lot. Guaranteed that any Porsche dealer has one. Also Audi and Lamborghini will have them as it is a VAG required tool for dealers.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheRobSJ:
SouthernSon (03-02-2024), Thomasmoto (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:23 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Default Zr1

Originally Posted by TheRobSJ
It’ll be highly unlikely the rotors are done in for just a street driven car. You have to really be going hard (like at a track) where you might actually see some red glow from the rotors to get them to a point where the rotors lose density.

There is an individual weight printed on every CC hat/rotor assembly. Measuring the weight is a bit of a PITA. Taking the brakes apart, thoroughly cleaning the rotor assembly (including all the little holes), then baking it in an oven to evaporate any remaining solvent….its quite an ordeal.

To be honest, I have never paid attention if these numbers and marks are there on Corvette rotors, but there is a much better way to measure density.

This can be done on the car, maybe even with the wheel still on. This Proceq-Carboteq wear indicator lines up to a few pre marked lines on the hat and it measures the density. The spec is printed right next to the mark and you know in seconds if you’re still good.

Now I’m not saying go out and buy this $6k+ on one of these. Just go to a shop that has one and pay them a little to have them spend 10 minutes to measure your car in the parking lot. Guaranteed that any Porsche dealer has one. Also Audi and Lamborghini will have them as it is a VAG required tool for dealers.
I understand. Thank you for responding.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:34 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,218 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRobSJ

Does the C8 Z06 CCB rotors have the 'polkadots' on them? The C6 and C7 CCB rotors did not. Those had to be weighed.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:03 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

So it turns out the rotors are fine. The pads are only about half gone. I was getting squeal and the brakes worn message and figured it was time to do the brakes, 66 K miles so It must just be dust that's causing the noise and the sensors look a little bad so I'm going to replace them as well, on order. I was also informed that there was a program flash to the ABS system about the warning. The pads still look pretty good, they only had a few little cracks in them, but I'm still going to change them as soon as my new sensors come in.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:33 AM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 975 Likes on 500 Posts

If you order the gm pads for your car new sensors come with them.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Default Zr1

Originally Posted by Basil2000
If you order the gm pads for your car new sensors come with them.
Yes, thanks. I've had these Carbotech Pads I bought a while back off of the forum.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:07 PM
Nosferatu333
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson

How is weight a factor if thickness isn’t?

i would think the weight is directly related to how thick the rotors are. And it falling below weight is tires to wear from the pads.

what am I missing?

thanks
Old 03-03-2024, 04:46 PM
TurboRegal84
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosferatu333

i would think the weight is directly related to how thick the rotors are. And it falling below weight is tires to wear from the pads.

what am I missing?
As carbon ceramic rotors wear, the carbon is burned off, and structural integrity is decreased.

The best measurement to see how much carbon you've burned is by weighing them.

​​​​

Too-Fast (03-03-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 02:18 PM
Nosferatu333
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboRegal84
As carbon ceramic rotors wear, the carbon is burned off, and structural integrity is decreased.

The best measurement to see how much carbon you've burned is by weighing them.

​​​​
Ok thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 brake rotors

Quick Reply: ZR1 brake rotors