C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZTK rear wing

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 11:55 AM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
If I did a top speed run (mile or longer) on a straight road, would I get into trouble during braking if I removed the ZTK wing for reduced drag? I remember my C6 ZR1 would 'dance' a little at the end of the straightaway during heavy braking while the C7 ZR1 ZTK feels solidly planted.
I did a test at one of the half mile events I ran my C7 ZR1 at...
I made a pass with the ZTK wing on and went 178 mph and it was absolutely planted. I then immediately removed the ZTK wing because I wanted to see the impact to the trap speeds and ripped off 180 mph on the next pass and under braking it danced around pretty badly. I expected that to happen since I didn't remove the front aero (much more involved than just a couple of easy to get to bolts for the wing) and it was definitely unbalanced to say the least.
Old 11-16-2023, 03:16 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

I watched the video's on the ZR1 runs on YouTube and Papenburg Germany . I believe the ZR1's were non-ZTK ?
Especially the ZR1 on the Papenburg ? From what I can tell a non-ZTK ZR1 ?
I hope this is not a dumb question but if a non-ZTK ran against a ZTK would the non-ZTK hold its own against the ZTK on the top end ?
Or would it have a higher top speed because lack of downforce on the rear ?
And if I am not mistaken did Chevrolet do the top end testing on a base non-ZTK to establish the top mph for the ZR1 ?
Please help me on my questions and correct me if I am wrong !
Many thanks in advance !
Old 11-16-2023, 03:50 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
I did a test at one of the half mile events I ran my C7 ZR1 at...
I made a pass with the ZTK wing on and went 178 mph and it was absolutely planted. I then immediately removed the ZTK wing because I wanted to see the impact to the trap speeds and ripped off 180 mph on the next pass and under braking it danced around pretty badly. I expected that to happen since I didn't remove the front aero (much more involved than just a couple of easy to get to bolts for the wing) and it was definitely unbalanced to say the least.
Was it worse than say a C6?
Originally Posted by Oskee
I watched the video's on the ZR1 runs on YouTube and Papenburg Germany . I believe the ZR1's were non-ZTK ?
Especially the ZR1 on the Papenburg ? From what I can tell a non-ZTK ZR1 ?
I hope this is not a dumb question but if a non-ZTK ran against a ZTK would the non-ZTK hold its own against the ZTK on the top end ?
Or would it have a higher top speed because lack of downforce on the rear ?
And if I am not mistaken did Chevrolet do the top end testing on a base non-ZTK to establish the top mph for the ZR1 ?
Please help me on my questions and correct me if I am wrong !
Many thanks in advance !
I remember seeing top speed numbers for both non-ZTK and ZTK cars. The often quoted 212mph top speed was an average of runs (both directions) with the non-ZTK car. The ZTK is slightly lower due to the increased drag. The ZTK is designed for a track with turns, that's where its advantages show up.
The following users liked this post:
JG853 (12-01-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 03:55 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Huh? You get max power no matter what mode you are in.
Traction and stability controls dial back the power when it senses slippage. Experienced drag racers produce slightly better times with the nannies off. I think that's what Hib was referring to.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:43 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Interesting debate. I think a more pertinent question for the OP before the technical debate started is how will the OP use the car.

- Sunday drive at 60mph and then 2 hours in a parking lot watching it from a lawn chair. In other words....just for the aesthetics? If yes, bolt it on and enjoy what it looks like
- 1 or 2 mile top speed runs, track days, and/ or Time Trials? I'd think twice. Aero is a funny thing. When something is unbalanced aerodynamically, it works fine until it doesn't and sometimes that line can be pretty crisp
Old 11-16-2023, 07:15 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,151 Likes on 603 Posts

Huh? You get max power no matter what mode you are in.
Based on the '19 ZR1 Owner's Manual discussion of PTM, it looks like there are four different levels of engine power that PTM may select.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:18 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
(snip)Aero is a funny thing. When something is unbalanced aerodynamically, it works fine until it doesn't and sometimes that line can be pretty crisp
"96GS#007" gets Thursday night's "Beacon of Reality Award".
Old 11-17-2023, 10:23 AM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
Based on the '19 ZR1 Owner's Manual discussion of PTM, it looks like there are four different levels of engine power that PTM may select.
The PTM changes have no bearing on the total power output of the engine and it's been verified in the tune. I can only imagine whoever wrote that in the owners manual mixed up power delivery curve with total power output as it's making max power no matter what mode you are in and the only thing that changes is part throttle pedal responsiveness and allowed slip.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:26 AM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Was it worse than say a C6?
Very much so, it was very unbalanced taking the rear ZTK wing off but leaving the front aero bits on. I fully expected it and it was just an experiment to see what kind of impact the rear wing would have on trap speeds in the half mile, I put it back on right away after that. LOL! If it was a non-ztk aero car it would have certainly been more balanced.
range96 (11-17-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 01:12 PM
kevin nevius
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Mero
Hi Kev,

I agree with All the things Hib mentioned in the previous post(s).

I just wanted to let you know that the track calibrations for the low wing ZR1 were developed exclusively for that car. With a track alignment, the car drives incredibly well. If you search on YouTube for ZR1 Nurburgring, many of the shots you see are the low wing ZR1 on the Nürburgring.

Thank you, Jim
Mr. Mero:

Before I forget to do so, I just wanted to thank you for this amazing car. I am so proud to own it, and so grateful to have the opportunity to speak with you on this forum.

You did an amazing job on this car, and I admire your efforts so much - from the bottom of my heart, thank you!

Have a great Holiday Season,

kev
The following 2 users liked this post by kevin nevius:
JG853 (12-01-2023), range96 (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 04:14 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kevin nevius
Mr. Mero:

Before I forget to do so, I just wanted to thank you for this amazing car. I am so proud to own it, and so grateful to have the opportunity to speak with you on this forum.

You did an amazing job on this car, and I admire your efforts so much - from the bottom of my heart, thank you!

kev
I second that!

He is still involved with the Corvette community, developed suspension tuning updates for the C6 platform (to apply the knowledge gained during the C7 development).
The following 4 users liked this post by range96:
JG853 (12-01-2023), Jim Mero (11-22-2023), kevin nevius (11-20-2023), Lavender (12-05-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 11:06 AM
Jim Mero
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,264 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin nevius
Mr. Mero:

kev

Hello Kevin,

Thank you so much for the kind words. Your satisfaction of your car was and is my only motivation.

You, your family and everyone reading this post enjoy the holidays.

Jim
The following 5 users liked this post by Jim Mero:
1Sikstik (11-23-2023), frodoz737 (11-25-2023), JG853 (12-01-2023), kevin nevius (11-22-2023), Lavender (12-05-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 09:57 PM
1Sikstik
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 124 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Jim Mero
Hello Kevin,

Thank you so much for the kind words. Your satisfaction of your car was and is my only motivation.

You, your family and everyone reading this post enjoy the holidays.

Jim
Same to you Mr. Mero. Would love to have your update for my C6ZR1 suspension if your ever in the southwest Florida area.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:08 AM
Jim Mero
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,264 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Sikstik
Same to you Mr. Mero. Would love to have your update for my C6ZR1 suspension if your ever in the southwest Florida area.
Hi Sik,

If you have a moment, please fill out your information on my contact page on my website www.jimmero.com. I will log it, When we head to Florida, i will reach out.

Thank you, Jim
1Sikstik (11-26-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 08:41 PM
ffr1352
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Jim, Now that you are retired... what could the ZR1 do the ring in if you had a shot at it like in the track condition and time the Porsche Team get for their 911 runs?
Lavender (12-05-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 12:40 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Default Correction

The PTM changes have no bearing on the total power output of the engine and it's been verified in the tune. I can only imagine whoever wrote that in the owners manual mixed up power delivery curve with total power output as it's making max power no matter what mode you are in and the only thing that changes is part throttle pedal responsiveness and allowed slip.
"NicD" is correct and my initial post about this issue was inaccurate information

After doing some research that included an email exchange with Mero. I agree with "NicD'" belief that the Owner's Manual is poorly written. Jim also included a chart that was created by those who were calibrating ESC and PTM.

I can see where it can be confusing relative to available engine power. The only time engine power is not maximum is if slip is detected. If there is no slip, maximum engine power is available. At least that's the way I've always understood and experienced it.

Maybe they thought it would confuse the customer using slip and spark reduction. Here is what I was trying to put into words….

The following 2 users liked this post by Hib Halverson:
JG853 (12-01-2023), Lavender (12-05-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 04:31 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
"NicD" is correct and my initial post about this issue was inaccurate information

After doing some research that included an email exchange with Mero. I agree with "NicD'" belief that the Owner's Manual is poorly written. Jim also included a chart that was created by those who were calibrating ESC and PTM.
Yes and no. As slip is detected the engine power is reduced. The manual doesn't specify if that is achieved by reducing throttle, spark advance, or fuel amount.
Lavender (12-05-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 07:04 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 785 Likes on 457 Posts

I agree - Thank you Jim for all of your hard work. The C7 ZR1 is an awesome car and you did a spectacular job on it.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

I second that!

He is still involved with the Corvette community, developed suspension tuning updates for the C6 platform (to apply the knowledge gained during the C7 development).
Lavender (12-05-2023)

Quick Reply: ZTK rear wing