C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

What to do about Weapon X MotorSports

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 06:08 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 70 Posts
Default What to do about Weapon X MotorSports

On May 17 of this year I ordered the low brackets for ZR1 wing through Weapon X MotorSports. For over two months I’ve been checking my order status on their website and I checked again today and it’s still saying waiting on fulfilment. These guys don’t stock these things they’re made to order. For about a month now I’ve been emailing them and all I keep hearing back is there waiting to hear from the manufacturer to see what’s going on. Then I emailed them again last week and all I keep hearing back is still waiting.

When I asked for my money back they emailed me and said there boss reached out to them last week there waiting to hear back from there boss to get his response. then I emailed them again and asked them what’s going on with these brackets and again I get an email back saying still waiting to hear back from my boss..?

it seems to me I’m just getting the runaround with these guys and honestly their attitude seems to be they really don’t care. And what’s too bad is a week ago I was just doing a Google search on these low brackets to see if somebody else might make them and I came across GS Creations Who has the same low brackets from Weapon X And they’re in stock. I ordered them today and there already shipped today! I’ll probably get them by next week.

but now what to do about Weapon X. I’m a patient guy but geez this is getting a little ridiculous. Over two months? I could see if I order these from Japan or China. And how could it take this long to hear back from the people who are making stuff for them to see what’s going on? I’d like to just get my money back but I got a feeling these guys are not just going to reimburse me
The following users liked this post:
Zman-Zr1 (03-27-2023)
Old 07-26-2022, 02:20 AM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 689 Likes on 376 Posts

I have really wanted to get a ZTK wing (and high brackets), and WeaponX seems to be the only company that has an aftermarket one. But I keep seeing posts like this one about how bad they are to deal with. And I think this is the one that breaks the camel’s back. So I don’t think I’ll even think about buying from them anymore.

I’ve had it “in the cart” and ready to checkout a few times now. And before I do, a little voice says maybe wait till I stop hearing about them leaving people hanging for months on end.

Jeez, they’re like the Hennessy of the Corvette parts world it seems. A handful got out in the world and those owners are happy, but everyone else just twisting in the wind.
Zman-Zr1 (03-27-2023)
Old 07-26-2022, 02:29 AM
GrandSport223
Racer

Originally Posted by TheRobSJ
I have really wanted to get a ZTK wing (and high brackets), and WeaponX seems to be the only company that has an aftermarket one. But I keep seeing posts like this one about how bad they are to deal with. And I think this is the one that breaks the camel’s back. So I don’t think I’ll even think about buying from them anymore.

I’ve had it “in the cart” and ready to checkout a few times now. And before I do, a little voice says maybe wait till I stop hearing about them leaving people hanging for months on end.

Jeez, they’re like the Hennessy of the Corvette parts world it seems. A handful got out in the world and those owners are happy, but everyone else just twisting in the wind.
I bought the Extreme Online Stores ZTK wing kit a lot cheaper then Weapon X. I can honestly say the EOS wing is really nice quality. It’s literally over $3K cheaper then Weapon X. Only problem is I just think the low wing looks a lot better and Weapon X is the only company out there that offers the low brackets as far as I know any way.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:21 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,374 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Weapon X does take a long time, but I don't believe that is within their control, other than rejecting pieces that don't meet their quality standard, they just have to wait. Pre covid there was a wait but not nearly as long as it appears to be now; same as with many other things.
Repo Pilot (07-28-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 01:33 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrandSport223
I bought the Extreme Online Stores ZTK wing kit a lot cheaper then Weapon X. I can honestly say the EOS wing is really nice quality. It’s literally over $3K cheaper then Weapon X. Only problem is I just think the low wing looks a lot better and Weapon X is the only company out there that offers the low brackets as far as I know any way.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about them! I’m gonna have to get in touch with them about some particulars though. Since I’m not exactly “converting” to a ZR1 style wing. I see their setup require the chassis reinforcements to be installed. I’m gonna need to know if those mounting bases are in the exact same location as the actual factory ones. Does their wing actually provide half a ton of downforce like the factory ZTK wing.

I agree the low wing is better which is why I got my ZR1 with the low wing. But I’d like more downforce to keep the rear planted at the track. Which of course the ZTK wing will do, but I am not about to spend $6k+ for the actual GM setup only to have for the occasional track day.

It seems that EOS is in my neck of the woods. I live maybe 15 miles from them. That could make things easy!
Old 07-26-2022, 06:35 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 579 Likes on 334 Posts

If you purchased via Credit Card, get them involved to get your money back...
ernhart333 (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 07:24 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

I contacted Ben through email and he said he’s looking into it today. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Old 07-27-2022, 01:44 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Ben said he was gonna look into it on Monday still haven’t heard back from him.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:46 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

I suppose these days has awakened us all to asking up front when ordering when the company intends to charge our cards? I have now come to the conclusion that it is best to simply tell the company to advise me when they are able to ship and THEN I'll place the order, not before. Need to make sure it is stated clearly in the email for future reference to give to your CC company if they charge before stocking. That way you can get your money back with no questions. BTW, I wouldn't do any business with CorvetteMods no matter what they tell me. I hope WeaponX is not following the same unseemly business practices.
The following 2 users liked this post by SouthernSon:
ernhart333 (07-29-2022), GrandSport223 (04-13-2024)
Old 07-28-2022, 09:20 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I suppose these days has awakened us all to asking up front when ordering when the company intends to charge our cards? I have now come to the conclusion that it is best to simply tell the company to advise me when they are able to ship and THEN I'll place the order, not before. Need to make sure it is stated clearly in the email for future reference to give to your CC company if they charge before stocking. That way you can get your money back with no questions. BTW, I wouldn't do any business with CorvetteMods no matter what they tell me. I hope WeaponX is not following the same unseemly business practices.
I opened a case dispute with my credit card company today. How ever Ben sent me an email today stating that he will give me a 100% reimbursement on Monday when he’s back at the shop. Apparently they’re still waiting on a ETA from this manufacturer who’s making them. These things cost me $617 Canadian. Then I spent $671 again on the same brackets through GS Solutions… So I’m glad I’m getting my money back through Weapon X

The following 2 users liked this post by GrandSport223:
ernhart333 (07-29-2022), SouthernSon (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 11:15 AM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

I've got a bunch of WeaponX products on my car. With the exception of one product (3rd party custom wheels) they have all been high quality items. And the only one time I had to return something there was no push-back from them.

Since there aren't going to be any more ZR1's rolling off the production line they obviously aren't maintaining a large inventory. I don't believe anyone is.

I'm also waiting for a product that they actually make on their in-house 3-D printer...but delivery of the material they need has been delayed as it apparently is not available from their usual source(s).

Extremely frustrating for me and for WeaponX .
The following 2 users liked this post by Repo Pilot:
2019 ZR1 (07-29-2022), SouthernSon (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 03:03 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Well I know Brent from Weapon X told me the carbon wing is 90 days, hardware is 21 days. I Assume including lower brackets? I will say on Brent’s part it’s low class to be putting down other venders saying Extreme online stores wing is ****. I know quite a few guys who are running the EOS ZTK wing kit and there happy with it. I will say this tho. The side wing tips on the EOS are grooved on the inside and they fit on the tip of the wing like a glove. But there only 3M taped on.

At high speeds and lots of down force don’t know how well the side tips would stay on? Don’t know how the Weapon X wing tips are set up.

I went with EOS just cause of the cost difference. Weapon X with low brackets $4,000 US not including shipping. EOS in Canadian dollars just over $1,800. I figure I saved over $3,300 in the difference. By the time I would pay a shop to install it, back bumper has to come off, it’s quite a big job to install this thing. It would have been over $6,000 buying the wing and paying to get it installed.

I was quite surprised how fast the EOS wing came in. It was like two weeks and it came in. Don’t get me wrong Weapon X has a beautiful carbon fibre wing. And depending on your budget it would be a really nice kit to get. But I would still be waiting on an ETA when I would ever get it.

So that’s my 2 cents.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:05 AM
Anthony2020
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 78 Posts

I’ve heard these same stories
Old 08-07-2022, 10:31 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Are you guys just looking for the brackets themselves? They’d be trivial to make once my second 5-axis is ready.
ernhart333 (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 11:00 AM
ernhart333
Pro

Received 317 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by DSteck
Are you guys just looking for the brackets themselves? They’d be trivial to make once my second 5-axis is ready.
Ive actually got them drawn up, and a much better design.
My design moves the wing "Forward" about 1" closer to the trunk lid.

I have the WX lower brackets on my ZR1 and feel the wing needs to come forward some, so I redesigned them but we are so busy working 7 days a week I just never got time to run a few sets. I can send you the print in exchange for a set you can run for me?

Repo Pilot (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 02:26 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Do your redesigned brackets allow you to use the rear view mirror?...Weapon X's design.is easy to install but it creates a huge blind spot and makes your rear-view mirror unuseable.

So bad that you cant tell of the car behind you is an official vehicle or not. Not really a big issue for me but the BAW is the ZTK's calling card and I like it alot.
The following 2 users liked this post by Repo Pilot:
ernhart333 (08-08-2022), SouthernSon (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 02:27 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Originally Posted by ernhart333
Ive actually got them drawn up, and a much better design.
My design moves the wing "Forward" about 1" closer to the trunk lid.

I have the WX lower brackets on my ZR1 and feel the wing needs to come forward some, so I redesigned them but we are so busy working 7 days a week I just never got time to run a few sets. I can send you the print in exchange for a set you can run for me?
I’m guessing the WX low brackets position the wing further back than the OE low brackets? There ain’t hardly room for a finger with the factory low wing setup.
ernhart333 (08-08-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To What to do about Weapon X MotorSports

Old 08-08-2022, 04:50 PM
ernhart333
Pro

Received 317 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
Do your redesigned brackets allow you to use the rear view mirror?...Weapon X's design.is easy to install but it creates a huge blind spot and makes your rear-view mirror unuseable.

So bad that you cant tell of the car behind you is an official vehicle or not. Not really a big issue for me but the BAW is the ZTK's calling card and I like it alot.
Hello Repo & RobSJ,
I did some playing around with moving the wing back, forward, up some, down some and what looks the best to ME is moved forward as far as I can go and still clear the trunk lid and just bumped down slightly. When moving the wing around, I found the wing can NOT be lowered enough to gain any noticeable visibility without being too close to the body and looking stupid. So I designed the brackets to bump forward approx 1-1/4" and drop approx 1/4" ( which will do very little to gain any visibility) but gives more of the wing being "up over the deck lid" rather than "Hanging Off the Back" of the car if that makes any sense.

And so I don't get in trouble or banned here, I HAVE NO PLANS TO MAKE, SELL OR PROFIT FROM THEM!

I'm a machinist, own a Tool & Die Shop and just like to modify and tweak things to my liking. Most things I modify & tweak are not even noticeable to others, BUT I notice them and they make ME happy.....LOL
If someone has open CNC machine time (3 Axis Minimum) and willing to make me up a set, I will be more than glad to share my prints.

Hey Repo, question for you.
My car is a convert and when I lift the trunk lid with the WX lower brackets, I've got approx 1-1/2" between the wing & the lid at the closest point. When you had the lower WX brackets on your car, do you recall how much "Gap" you had between the wing and truck lid?

Most would assume the "Gap" would be the same for coupe and converts BUT because the convert has a shorter trunk lid, this changes the "Hinge pivot point" (Causing the shorter lid to open more at 45 degree-ish angle vs a coupe being 25 degrees-ish) so I don't' believe the "Gap" would be the same for the coupe & converts. With this said, my brackets may or may not work on a coupe unless you can recall having approx 1-1/2" gap at the closest point on your car?

Below is a side view of the WX (Green) and my "Tweaked" (white) lowering bracket.

Repo Pilot (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 10:04 PM
Jason 98 TA
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a set of wx low brackets I’ll trade for stock ones
www.texas-speed.com
512-863-0900
Old 08-08-2022, 11:12 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=ernhart333;1605515461]Hello Repo & RobSJ,
I did some playing around with moving the wing back, forward, up some, down some and what looks the best to ME is moved forward as far as I can go and still clear the trunk lid and just bumped down slightly. When moving the wing around, I found the wing can NOT be lowered enough to gain any noticeable visibility without being too close to the body and looking stupid. So I designed the brackets to bump forward approx 1-1/4" and drop approx 1/4" ( which will do very little to gain any visibility) but gives more of the wing being "up over the deck lid" rather than "Hanging Off the Back" of the car if that makes any sense./QUOTE]

Thanks for that Ernhart - attached is a profile shot of my ZR with the WeaponX wing mount. It does proceed quite aways from the rear clip and you need to be real careful about where it is parked it in public as extending the rear clip that much does make the wing a possible parking lot target and I don't think getting it lower to allow the rear view mirror to be useable is going to me pretty ugly and become even more of a target and I suppose it one of the reasons the non ZTK edition uses more of a Z-06 lip device. So l guess I will just have to learn to live with it.

ernhart333 (08-08-2022)

Quick Reply: What to do about Weapon X MotorSports