C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

What to do about Weapon X MotorSports

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 01:56 AM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 689 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
I suppose it one of the reasons the non ZTK edition uses more of a Z-06 lip device.
Not a lip. Still very much a pedestal wing setup, just lower. The ZTK wing looks so much bigger because of its much larger end plates.

The following 2 users liked this post by TheRobSJ:
ernhart333 (08-09-2022), Repo Pilot (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 12:18 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRobSJ
Not a lip. Still very much a pedestal wing setup, just lower. The ZTK wing looks so much bigger because of its much larger end plates.
That looks great Rob. Can you see anything but wing in the rear view mirror? That's my only gripe about the WeaponX setup. It also looks like your end pieces are different from what my Factory wing was delivered with. Whose end-piece is that?

It also looks like with the smaller end-caps you could lower the wing snother 3/4 to 1/2 an inch and still have acceptable clearance between it and the top of the fender.
The following users liked this post:
ernhart333 (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 12:23 PM
ernhart333
Pro

Received 317 Likes on 194 Posts

That looks great Rob. Can you see anything but wing in the rear view mirror? That's my only gripe about the WeaponX setup. It also looks like your end pieces are different from what my Factory wing was delivered with. Whose end-piece is that?

It also looks like with the smaller end-caps you could lower the wing snother 3/4 to 1/2 an inch and still have acceptable clearance between it and the top of the fender.
Hey Repo, do you remember how much finger "Gap" you had between your deck lid and wing when you had the WX lower brackets on your ZR1?
And your ZR1 looks amazing. Surely one of the sweetest ZR1's I've ever seen!!!

Old 08-09-2022, 05:35 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 689 Likes on 376 Posts

Yeah it’s a big black line in my rear view mirror. Takes up the middle 1/3 of the view. I can see see cars over and under the line though. But sometimes it works out where it blocks the headlights at night…then I have no idea if someone’s back there. So I drive it like a trucker and check my side mirrors more often.

My end plates are different because it’s all the stock non-ZTK setup. ZTK has much larger end plates and slightly more actual wing surface area compared to the low wing.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheRobSJ:
ernhart333 (08-09-2022), Repo Pilot (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 07:05 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Kinda what I was thinking and thanks for verifying that. Actually for the straight line stuff I cant think of a good reason not to just take the wing off and maybe avoid life north of 200 on days with a gusting crosswind. There was no wind at all when I busted 200 and the steering wheel was dead center the whole way once I got through the launch and into fourth gear.. I think I'd do more to reduce drag by removing the vertical cannards from the front splitter.then messing with a lower wing mount.other than the WeaponX mount I'm using now
ernhart333 (08-09-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 08:51 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ernhart333
Ive actually got them drawn up, and a much better design.
My design moves the wing "Forward" about 1" closer to the trunk lid.

I have the WX lower brackets on my ZR1 and feel the wing needs to come forward some, so I redesigned them but we are so busy working 7 days a week I just never got time to run a few sets. I can send you the print in exchange for a set you can run for me?
I’d make my own models. I have access to all GM CAD to ensure dimensional accuracy.
The following 2 users liked this post by DSteck:
ernhart333 (08-12-2022), Repo Pilot (08-11-2022)
Old 04-05-2024, 04:38 PM
viper2pt0
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Resurrecting a post from the dead....does anyone else offer low brackets for the ZR-1 wing? Trying to buy a set from weapon-x but not having any luck...
Old 04-05-2024, 05:53 PM
ernhart333
Pro

Originally Posted by viper2pt0
Resurrecting a post from the dead....does anyone else offer low brackets for the ZR-1 wing? Trying to buy a set from weapon-x but not having any luck...
I drew up and have the cad print for a better design than the WX brackets but we are just always to buried with work and to busy in the shop to get this project to the machine. If anyone has machine time and would like to make up a few sets, I will provide the print and I'm certain you would have no problem finding takers.
If we could get a half dozen or so takers, I would perhaps spend a weekend in the shop and make some up.
(PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying this to make money or generate work for myself....... My only intention is to help out and NOT get myself in trouble here with the forum admin)

Old 04-05-2024, 06:35 PM
viper2pt0
Advanced

I admittedly know zero about production CNC work, but I assume this would need a 5-axis? Is your print something I could upload to a service such as RapidDirect (no affiliation, just a link that popped up when I googled) and they'd be able to make me a set? If so, any chance you could send me the files? I'm kind of desperate for some.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:59 PM
ernhart333
Pro

No the brackets could be machined on a standard 3 axis machine (would require a couple operations) and my Cad prints would need to be generated into a Cam file for machining or for a 3D printer. So without the Cam software, my prints are useless. And for providing the Cad prints I would ask to receive a set in return for my time measuring and designing the brackets.
Lets see if there are any others needing and/or if someone here on the forum is willing to make up a few sets.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:18 PM
viper2pt0
Advanced

Originally Posted by ernhart333
No the brackets could be machined on a standard 3 axis machine (would require a couple operations) and my Cad prints would need to be generated into a Cam file for machining or for a 3D printer. So without the Cam software, my prints are useless. And for providing the Cad prints I would ask to receive a set in return for my time measuring and designing the brackets.
Lets see if there are any others needing and/or if someone here on the forum is willing to make up a few sets.
Well count me in for a set if at all possible. Who else is in??
Old 04-13-2024, 02:49 AM
GrandSport223
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 70 Posts

I ended up getting my Weapon X lower brackets from GS Creations. I paid more for them but at least I got them whereas Weapon X had no idea what was going on with their manufacturer or what the status even was.

ernhart333 (04-13-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 02:52 AM
GrandSport223
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 70 Posts

If there is somebody making aftermarket brackets like these, I would personally like to make a suggestion. If you can make the brackets where the wings sits a little little bit higher than it currently does with the Weapon X lower brackets. So not as high as the standard ZR1 wing but a little bit higher than the lowered brackets. Or even better have it so that you can adjust the height so you could actually set the wing as high as you want to..
Old 04-15-2024, 01:52 AM
GhostZR1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I purchased mine from weapon x awhile back. I had them powder coated gloss black. Mounted them, and then unmounted them same night.

They are sitting in the closet wrapped up. If anyone is interested, $300 shipped. Believe they are $359.99+tax at weapon x.

ernhart333 (04-15-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 04:48 PM
ssidley413
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sent you a PM

Originally Posted by GhostZR1
I purchased mine from weapon x awhile back. I had them powder coated gloss black. Mounted them, and then unmounted them same night.

They are sitting in the closet wrapped up. If anyone is interested, $300 shipped. Believe they are $359.99+tax at weapon x.

Old 04-21-2024, 02:27 AM
GhostZR1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostzr1
i purchased mine from weapon x awhile back. I had them powder coated gloss black. Mounted them, and then unmounted them same night.

**** sold ****

Quick Reply: What to do about Weapon X MotorSports