C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Do you still track your ZR1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 09:56 AM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 764 Likes on 357 Posts

Default Do you still track your ZR1?

I managed to do one track day with my ZR1 and absolutely loved it... the few times I tried after that were foiled by weather or scheduling issues. Now that the weather is cooling off here again, I considered doing another track day but honestly can't bring myself to do it. Mostly, because if I ball it up, there is no replacement. No amount of insurance can fix that either since this car was built specifically for me and a Museum Delivery. The other part is just the collector side of it and the values skyrocketing and continuing to go higher. I still love driving the car and I know it's a risk on the highways too, but I just can't bring myself to risk it on the track anymore.

What are your thoughts? Are you still tracking yours?
The following users liked this post:
ernhart333 (10-06-2021)

Popular Reply

10-08-2021, 12:44 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

I still track mine... 4 to 8 times a season. I bought it to use it... and enjoy it. The fact that it's become an "appreciating asset" as opposed to a "depreciating asset" is a bonus but doesn't change anything. On track if something goes wrong it's almost entirely based on me making a mistake... on the street my risk is based on all the other idiots... I think I'm actually safer on the track.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:22 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,737 Likes on 876 Posts

I new I would never track mine hence my choosing a vert. However if given an opportunity for spirited driving on a quality closed course I'd be there on a monthly basis where the only prep I'd do is a lap to warm the tires. B.T.W. Spring mountain was the most memorable automotive experience of my life.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:35 AM
txoutdoors
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 64 Posts

I dont mind the occasional drag race at the strip, but will never road course mine. Seen early on that most wrecked cars happened on a road course.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:45 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,028 Posts

We run ours at the drag strip some, but no track days for the OP reasons.
ernhart333 (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 01:00 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 375 Posts

The fact that the car is pretty much irreplaceable and quite frankly, I don’t care what the future holds for the C8, 9, 10, whatever platforms…this is my last Corvette. And I intend to keep it forever.

So while I definitely want to actually use the car in every capacity, including tracking it, I don’t want to use it up so fast. I know people who are constantly at the track. Maybe 2-3 times a month. And not to diminish how much it costs here, but if you should wad up your Cayman GT4? So what. They’ve made plenty, they’re still making more, just go get another one. Can’t say the same for a ZR1.

Tracking a Z06/Z07 would be a better plan I suppose, since they’re more plentiful to find. But you’d have to make some modifications to it to get it at the level the ZR1 is right off the showroom floor. But now we’re talking having a Corvette for the street and a Corvette for the track. I just don’t have the garage space (or wife’s patience) to make that happen.

So I’ll just track my ZR1 sparingly. One maybe two road course events a year and that’s it. I’ll leave the PTM in Sport 1 like they had us keep it in at Spring Mountain. I’m reasonably confident I could probably dial it up to Sport 2 or maybe even Race, but I like having that safety net there. And it’s a big one in Sport 1. So with that in place, unless I complete space out and forget a braking zone, I’m pretty sure I will never wreck the car. Of course there’s the variable of other drivers at a track day. But I see that as no more of a risk than driving the car to work or the store. Plenty of oblivious ***** driving around on the street I trust less than most drivers I see on a track.
The following 6 users liked this post by TheRobSJ:
$Bill (10-06-2021), 94Lt1Vette (10-06-2021), Basil2000 (10-06-2021), kevin nevius (10-06-2021), Repo Pilot (11-14-2021), Torque Obsessed (04-12-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-06-2021, 01:33 PM
JG61354
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I track mine 3 or 4 times a year and absolutely love it. I really didn’t buy the car as an investment so driving it at the track is part of the fun for me. I have owned many track cars ( GT 500’s, Mustang track specific cars and a19 ZL1-1LE)and this dude is by far the most fun. While stated you certainly don’t want to wad it up (bad things can happen on the track) most of the more experienced solo groups are pretty good. Most of the guys have a healthy respect for their cars and your, either way it’s just what suits you. I know I cold start mine a couple of times a week just to listen to it. 😁
The following 3 users liked this post by JG61354:
Basil2000 (10-06-2021), ernhart333 (10-06-2021), Torque Obsessed (04-12-2022)
Old 10-06-2021, 03:03 PM
Bossman429
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

Not going to track mine much. I have a '20 SS/1LE for that duty.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:35 PM
kevin nevius
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRobSJ
The fact that the car is pretty much irreplaceable and quite frankly, I don’t care what the future holds for the C8, 9, 10, whatever platforms…this is my last Corvette. And I intend to keep it forever.

So while I definitely want to actually use the car in every capacity, including tracking it, I don’t want to use it up so fast. I know people who are constantly at the track. Maybe 2-3 times a month. And not to diminish how much it costs here, but if you should wad up your Cayman GT4? So what. They’ve made plenty, they’re still making more, just go get another one. Can’t say the same for a ZR1.

Tracking a Z06/Z07 would be a better plan I suppose, since they’re more plentiful to find. But you’d have to make some modifications to it to get it at the level the ZR1 is right off the showroom floor. But now we’re talking having a Corvette for the street and a Corvette for the track. I just don’t have the garage space (or wife’s patience) to make that happen.

So I’ll just track my ZR1 sparingly. One maybe two road course events a year and that’s it. I’ll leave the PTM in Sport 1 like they had us keep it in at Spring Mountain. I’m reasonably confident I could probably dial it up to Sport 2 or maybe even Race, but I like having that safety net there. And it’s a big one in Sport 1. So with that in place, unless I complete space out and forget a braking zone, I’m pretty sure I will never wreck the car. Of course there’s the variable of other drivers at a track day. But I see that as no more of a risk than driving the car to work or the store. Plenty of oblivious ***** driving around on the street I trust less than most drivers I see on a track.
Great post, couldn't agree more!
TheRobSJ (11-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 03:46 PM
Dguth1975
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 55 Posts

I usually track mine 3 to 4 times a year as well including almost bi-weekly mountain runs since I'm in northern GA. Just finished a day at AMP a few weeks ago and going back again next month. Highly recommend doing it or you'll never know what the car is really capable of or your own limitations.
Speaking of tracks, my exhaust is stock yet they still black flagged me at AMP 3 times for the sound exceeding the track limits. Anybody else having that problem?!
Old 10-06-2021, 05:07 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dguth1975
I usually track mine 3 to 4 times a year as well including almost bi-weekly mountain runs since I'm in northern GA. Just finished a day at AMP a few weeks ago and going back again next month. Highly recommend doing it or you'll never know what the car is really capable of or your own limitations.
Speaking of tracks, my exhaust is stock yet they still black flagged me at AMP 3 times for the sound exceeding the track limits. Anybody else having that problem?!
I got meatballed a few times at Laguna Seca a few months ago. Was a 105db day (which doesn’t happen very much at all there), and I still managed to blow 106-107. Oops.

And no I’m not going to put those ridiculous looking turnout (Laguna) pipes on. I’d rather just lift on the straight where the sound booth is…which of course I failed miserably at.

Last edited by TheRobSJ; 10-06-2021 at 05:07 PM.
ernhart333 (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 08:04 PM
Dguth1975
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 55 Posts

I got meatballed a few times at Laguna Seca a few months ago. Was a 105db day (which doesn’t happen very much at all there), and I still managed to blow 106-107. Oops.

And no I’m not going to put those ridiculous looking turnout (Laguna) pipes on. I’d rather just lift on the straight where the sound booth is…which of course I failed miserably at.
I know. I was trying to consciously lift on the straights where they do the sound measuring. Wasn't enough as they still got me. Can you close the valves and still run car in track mode?
Old 10-06-2021, 10:08 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dguth1975
I know. I was trying to consciously lift on the straights where they do the sound measuring. Wasn't enough as they still got me. Can you close the valves and still run car in track mode?
I believe you can, though GM does not recommend it. In the settings menu in the nav screen, under vehicle settings somewhere there should be something for exhaust mode. Default is linked to drive mode, but you can set it so it’s in what’s called “stealth” all the time.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:05 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

I believe you can, though GM does not recommend it. In the settings menu in the nav screen, under vehicle settings somewhere there should be something for exhaust mode. Default is linked to drive mode, but you can set it so it’s in what’s called “stealth” all the time.
Unfortunately, even if do you do that, it will still open the valves at WOT.
Lou’s Vettes (05-13-2022)
Old 10-07-2021, 11:22 AM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bossman429
Not going to track mine much. I have a '20 SS/1LE for that duty.
I have considered doing this as well. A10 or M6?
Old 10-07-2021, 11:49 AM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
Unfortunately, even if do you do that, it will still open the valves at WOT.
Oh. Well there goes that. Says in the OM not to drive aggressively or whatever in that stealth mode. Figured it’s too much back pressure for the system so I never tried it.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:57 AM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Originally Posted by 94Lt1Vette
I have considered doing this as well. A10 or M6?
Wishing you’d held onto that ZL1 now Mover?

If you’re looking for a dedicated track car, since I know you have a tow rig, how about something like a Radical? Everyone I know who has driven something like that (they can pull over 2g in turns) says they never want to go back to driving street cars on the track.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:40 PM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 245 Posts

I can only afford to take it out to the dragstrip, taking it out to a track and doing that type of racing would cost me too much in many ways. You can't love your car and do that type of racing as it will get beat to **** and start to look terrible with chips from road/tire debris plus I can't afford the tires, brakes, etc that you will go through if you are really pushing the car. And if go out and do those types of events I'm certainly not taking it easy as I'm way too competitive. To me the C7 ZR1 is kind of irreplaceable being a limited production one year only car. I have thought about buying a used C7 GS with iron brakes for a track toy and just feeding it tires/brakes/gas, one that isn't in perfect condition that I won't care so much about destroying because that's what would happen to it if I brought it out to a track and raced it a lot.

If I was made of money then I suppose it would be a different story and I guess at that point I would have two ZR1s, one to beat the **** out of and one to look at. LOL

Last edited by NicD; 10-07-2021 at 12:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NicD:
Basil2000 (10-07-2021), Oskee (10-07-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Do you still track your ZR1?

Old 10-07-2021, 01:18 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Default Zr1

Originally Posted by NicD
I can only afford to take it out to the dragstrip, taking it out to a track and doing that type of racing would cost me too much in many ways. You can't love your car and do that type of racing as it will get beat to **** and start to look terrible with chips from road/tire debris plus I can't afford the tires, brakes, etc that you will go through if you are really pushing the car. And if go out and do those types of events I'm certainly not taking it easy as I'm way too competitive. To me the C7 ZR1 is kind of irreplaceable being a limited production one year only car. I have thought about buying a used C7 GS with iron brakes for a track toy and just feeding it tires/brakes/gas, one that isn't in perfect condition that I won't care so much about destroying because that's what would happen to it if I brought it out to a track and raced it a lot.

If I was made of money then I suppose it would be a different story and I guess at that point I would have two ZR1s, one to beat the **** out of and one to look at. LOL
And I can tell you first hand, it's hard to serve 2 masters. I used to tell that to my guitar students all the time. If you're really all in its best to only have 1 thing or goal for your target.
Runnn (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 01:42 PM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
And I can tell you first hand, it's hard to serve 2 masters. I used to tell that to my guitar students all the time. If you're really all in its best to only have 1 thing or goal for your target.
Oh believe me I'm at a crossroads with having too many projects or cars and trying to do too many things and no time to do any of them. The C7 ZR1 is relegated to the drag strip every once in a while and just driving it around when it's nice outside. The C6 Z06 is the real drag toy though, one that I will beat the **** out of and not think twice about and it's just been my 7s or bust on a stock ECM project car. The Viper is going to be the half mile twin turbo project, but it's still too nice and I care too much about it to beat the **** out of it so it will be similar in use to the C7 ZR1. I would love a C7 GS for a track toy and came real close to buying one about 6 months ago but I don't have time to do much of anything with the others as is so I'm just talking out of my ***. LOL
kenownr (11-10-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 08:01 AM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Wishing you’d held onto that ZL1 now Mover?

If you’re looking for a dedicated track car, since I know you have a tow rig, how about something like a Radical? Everyone I know who has driven something like that (they can pull over 2g in turns) says they never want to go back to driving street cars on the track.
Nah. I loved the ZL1 but a ZLE would've been best for track duty (with a PDR as well).

The problem I always run into with a dedicated track car is time and space. I know I don't have time to get to the track more than a few times per year, and I don't have the garage space for another vehicle unless I kick out the Hellcat.

Quick Reply: Do you still track your ZR1?