C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Buyer beware Ron Fellows ZR1's

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 11:20 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver
Whats the big deal about these cars? I wouldn't hesitate buying one after attending the school. It was clear the cars were cared for while at SM, supposedly most/all high wear items were replaced prior to sale, comes with full warranty as 0 owner cars, etc... From my time at SM the vast majority of students did not even come close to pushing the limits of the car. I would assume there are/were far more "beaten on" ZR1s for sale/sold since 2018.

What about future collectibility? 15-20yrs from now will a low VIN, GM owned car be considered more desirable? Maybe the SM pedigree helps it long term?
I was told ex-prostitutes make excellent wives.
The following users liked this post:
ernhart333 (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 11:32 AM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
I totally get that argument however ANY ZR1 you buy today is in that same boat. Either flogged on the street or on the track regardless of milage....At least the SM cars have fresh brakes, etc. and were properly maintained for the majority of their driven life...
Old 11-03-2022, 12:02 PM
ernhart333
Pro

Received 317 Likes on 194 Posts

I totally get that argument however ANY ZR1 you buy today is in that same boat. Either flogged on the street or on the track regardless of milage....At least the SM cars have fresh brakes, etc. and were properly maintained for the majority of their driven life...
LMAO!
So I assume when you buy a used car it makes no difference if it is a one owner car or if it was a "Properly maintained" airport rental car?

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees a "Prostitute ZR1" is better than having "No ZR1" but the issue with us "Prostitute ZR1 Haters" is that these track ****** are being listed and sold for damn near the same price as the privately owned one or two owner ZR1's.

I suppose at the end of the day the man who married the "One owner" virgin wife and the man who married the "Airport rental car" prostitute can both say they "Have a wife".

Old 11-03-2022, 12:12 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Originally Posted by ernhart333
LMAO!
So I assume when you buy a used car it makes no difference if it is a one owner car or if it was a "Properly maintained" airport rental car?

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees a "Prostitute ZR1" is better than having "No ZR1" but the issue with us "Prostitute ZR1 Haters" is that these track ****** are being listed and sold for damn near the same price as the privately owned one or two owner ZR1's.

I suppose at the end of the day the man who married the "One owner" virgin wife and the man who married the "Airport rental car" prostitute can both say they "Have a wife".
To each their own. I'm just saying I wouldn't be scared. Hate all you want, the buyers of these cars are very unlikely to lose money and will have a badass car they will surely enjoy. In 10 years they will sell for the same as the "one owner virgin" cars you speak of and no one will question the SM history.

Most of you are arguing these cars should be discounted due to their school/track use? Well if they actually are then the buyers are getting an even better deal! When it comes to resale value down the line their profit margins will be much better than ours!
Old 11-03-2022, 12:47 PM
ernhart333
Pro

To each their own. I'm just saying I wouldn't be scared. Hate all you want, the buyers of these cars are very unlikely to lose money and will have a badass car they will surely enjoy. In 10 years they will sell for the same as the "one owner virgin" cars you speak of and no one will question the SM history.

Most of you are arguing these cars should be discounted due to their school/track use? Well if they actually are then the buyers are getting an even better deal! When it comes to resale value down the line their profit margins will be much better than ours!
First I'm not arguing and the bottom line is if the folks buying these track ****** are happy with them, that's all that matters and good for them!!!
Second, if you thick 10 or even 50 years from now a knowledgeable person (who will know the history of the car by its serial number) is willing to pay the same price as a "one owner virgin" ZR1.............. "LMAO.......... Like I said, if he is happy with his prostitute .......... that's all that matters.

SBR (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 12:52 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

First I'm not arguing and the bottom line is if the folks buying these track ****** are happy with them, that's all that matters and good for them!!!
Second, if you thick 10 or even 50 years from now a knowledgeable person (who will know the history of the car by its serial number) is willing to pay the same price as a "one owner virgin" ZR1.............. Like I said, if he is happy with his prostitute .......... that's all that matters.
My car has 14,500 miles on it. 3k miles on Gumball 3000 Mykonos to Ibiza in 2019 (crossed the Atlantic in a container twice), 2500 miles on Crown Rally Chicago to Charlotte in 2020, about 6k track miles driven HARD, the rest spirited street driving. Multiple brake changes, hubs have been replaced, front leaf spring replaced, etc. Would you rather buy mine as a "virgin one owner car" or a SM car that was babied around a track 90+% of the time by a first timer?
Old 11-03-2022, 12:55 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

My car has 14,500 miles on it. 3k miles on Gumball 3000 Mykonos to Ibiza in 2019 (crossed the Atlantic in a container twice), 2500 miles on Crown Rally Chicago to Charlotte in 2020, about 6k track miles driven HARD, the rest spirited street driving. Multiple brake changes, hubs have been replaced, front leaf spring replaced, etc. Would you rather buy mine as a "virgin one owner car" or a SM car that was babied around a track 90+% of the time by a first timer?
And if any of that qualifies my car a "track *****" or "prostitute" then I'm pimpin her out all over the world! And loving every minute of it
Jeff V. (12-05-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 01:02 PM
ernhart333
Pro

And if any of that qualifies my car a "track *****" or "prostitute" then I'm pimpin her out all over the world! And loving every minute of it
After talking with you and how you continue to defend and compare a car that's had hundreds of people in and out of them over a privately owned car .........I defiantly rather own a totaled flood damage ZR1 before owning anything you have!
Wish you a great day my friend!

Old 11-03-2022, 01:04 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

After talking with you and how you continue to defend and compare a car that's had hundreds of people in and out of them over a privately owned car .........I defiantly rather own a totaled flood damage ZR1 before owning anything you have!
Wish you a great day my friend!
Good on you, keep rubbing that low milage garage queen with a diaper to save your "virgin" for the next owner
The following 2 users liked this post by HTXSkydiver:
AHP (03-07-2023), Jeff V. (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 08:50 PM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

@ernhart333 I agree with you. While it is better to have a C7 ZR1 than not to have one, I do think the future buyers or any C7 ZR1 will do his/her due diligence and research, starting with the VIN number which will show this car was used at the driving school. While we all know Spring Mountain is awesome (And you have been there too my friend), I do think it will affect the values of the car vs a private owned one that was not a SM car. I think that has been proven out already with other Corvette, Camaro and Cadillac models already that were decommissioned from the school and put for sale.

Good on you, keep rubbing that low milage garage queen with a diaper to save your "virgin" for the next owner
ernhart333 (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 10:15 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,624 Likes on 1,743 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Old 11-04-2022, 12:20 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

I remember your Ibiza trip you had with your dad! I wish I could do it, but my dad passed away in '95. I wish you post more about it with pictures and anecdotes.

About SM cars and such, some of us like to track, some like to show our cars. History and condition always dictates prices. I'm sure yours have some battle scars and won't sell as well as a garage queen. My '10 ZR1 sold for a song, even though it was in perfect mechanical condition, but both the windshield and CF splitter was completely sand blasted from heavy track use. My C7 ZR1 only saw track twice and still looks pristine. I still clean it with a microfiber. SM cars do sell for considerable discount. Who knows pricing 20-30 years down the road?
The following 3 users liked this post by range96:
$Bill (11-07-2022), ernhart333 (02-08-2023), JG853 (02-10-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 03:36 PM
Jim M.
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.kearnsmotorcar.com/vehic...rolet-corvette

1G1Y32D96K5800041

Listed as a "One owner, out of Minnesota.".

(I know it was mentioned in another thread, but posting it here to keep it in the list of others.)
Old 02-07-2023, 05:17 PM
$Bill
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 48 Posts

The Ron Fellows ZR1's vin numbers are below sequence number 42 (to the best my knowledge).

Any vin 42 and below should be checked on the Corvette Action ZR1 registry for possible Ron Fellows history.

Last edited by $Bill; 02-07-2023 at 05:54 PM.
SBR (02-07-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 12:13 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jim M.
https://www.kearnsmotorcar.com/vehic...rolet-corvette

1G1Y32D96K5800041

Listed as a "One owner, out of Minnesota.".

(I know it was mentioned in another thread, but posting it here to keep it in the list of others.)
Yes, this car was a Spring Mountain car.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:16 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I'd take a loyal ex-prostitute over a divorced wife that cheated on the original husband

There are plenty of non Ron Fellows ZR1's that are "tastefully modfiied" by the original owner, "garage queens", etc... that are beat to death on the street without the appropriate maintenance. I'd be more concerned about being the 2nd owner on an abused garage queen when compared to being the 1st owner of an appropriately maintained track car. These cars were built to be thrashed on the track, I am sure GM knows what they are doing when it comes to maintaining these vehicles for resale. Typically, they are going to maintain those tracked cars better than a majority of the private owners.

For reference, even though it isn't a ZR1, I purchased a used gutted interior ZL1 1LE that had 3500 miles, 95% of those miles were spent endurance racing at COTA. Engine leaked down perfect, drivetrain was perfect. I restored the car back to stock with a full factory interior, and it is good as new minus some paint chips. Have ~20,000 hard miles on it now, ~5,000 of them with 1000 HP, and I haven't had a single issue.

If the price is right, don't hesitate to purchase the car you want as long as you do your homework and inspect prior to purchase.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:21 PM
ernhart333
Pro

Originally Posted by Katech_Zach
I'd take a loyal ex-prostitute over a divorced wife that cheated on the original husband

There are plenty of non Ron Fellows ZR1's that are "tastefully modfiied" by the original owner, "garage queens", etc... that are beat to death on the street without the appropriate maintenance. I'd be more concerned about being the 2nd owner on an abused garage queen when compared to being the 1st owner of an appropriately maintained track car. These cars were built to be thrashed on the track, I am sure GM knows what they are doing when it comes to maintaining these vehicles for resale. Typically, they are going to maintain those tracked cars better than a majority of the private owners.

For reference, even though it isn't a ZR1, I purchased a used gutted interior ZL1 1LE that had 3500 miles, 95% of those miles were spent endurance racing at COTA. Engine leaked down perfect, drivetrain was perfect. I restored the car back to stock with a full factory interior, and it is good as new minus some paint chips. Have ~20,000 hard miles on it now, ~5,000 of them with 1000 HP, and I haven't had a single issue.

If the price is right, don't hesitate to purchase the car you want as long as you do your homework and inspect prior to purchase.
People like you who defend these SM track cars and say you would take one over a "One Owner" poorly maintained garage queen truly makes me laugh.

I agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with an appropriately maintained track car being sold at the appropriate price, BUT there is a HUGE difference between a one or two owner well maintained track car and a "DRIVING SCHOOL" track car used for and by 100's of NON-PROFESSIONAL drivers.

And regardless of what people say to defend these ex driving school track cars, ANYONE in their right mind would choose a poorly maintained garage queen over a driving school track car. (UNLESS the track car was down priced accordingly) And why is it that 9 times out of 10 people are willing to pay more money for a documented one owner car, or one that was owned by a little old lady? Do the buyers really care or think about how that little old lady had the means of changing the oil or properly maintaining the car? Nope, most feel they hit the jackpot, all except for folks like you who would much rather have an ex "Driving school track car" that was properly maintained. Haha okay!!!!

It's NOT even so much that they are ex driving school track cars, but that SOOOOO many different drivers were in and out of the seat and behind the wheel of these damn cars. You don't think it makes a huge difference between a car always driven by the same person rather than a car driven by 100's of drivers?

If you don't think so, here is a very simple but very true example. The company I used to work for purchased 3 new cars every three years. Two of the cars were assigned to 2 of the outside salespersons who would be assigned that one car for the next three years. The 3rd car was assigned and used by several inside salespersons for the next three years. I can personally account for all 3 cars being maintained exactly the same and all ending up with having very close to the same number of miles at the end of three years.

At the end of three years the owner would offer the cars up for sale to employees.
Think hard and take a guess which car/cars were already spoken for way before the time they were even offered for sale? Hint, the 3rd car, driven by several drivers during the first three years, was a complete POS and could only be sold at a fraction of what the other two were sold for. Hmmm, think it had anything to do with being driven by several drivers and how each driver drove the car? One drove the car like I would drive it, one drove it like my wife would drive it, and another would drive the car like my 16-year-old son would drive it..... Make any sense?

Okay, want to talk about a well-maintained airport rental car being sold with 12k miles versus an exact same "ONE OWNER" car being sold by a private owner? Same car, same year, same miles being sold very near same price? Oh, and the airport rental car was "Appropriately maintained." ....... Not a very difficult decision, BUT its the person who can not afford the better of the two cars, who makes excuses and defends the lesser car. I could not afford a new Z06, but the R title, scrap yard Z06 I bought and rebuilt is just as good and valuable as any one owner poorly maintained garage queen? Right?

Again, God Bless anyone who can own a C7 ZR1. Garage queen, track car or a restored flood car. Like I said many times, ANY C7 ZR1 is better than NO C7 ZR1......But it upsets me when people are here looking for advice on buying a ZR1 but get misled and brainwashed into believing these ex-driver school track cars are just as good as a poorly maintained garage queen. I SAY BS!

My 2 cents
God Bless and wish all a great day!

Last edited by ernhart333; 02-08-2023 at 03:28 PM.
JG853 (02-10-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Buyer beware Ron Fellows ZR1's

Old 02-08-2023, 04:04 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

The general public has voted with their money, the SM cars are CHEAPER than privately owned, one owner cars. Its a great opportunity for price conscious buyers.
Old 02-08-2023, 04:40 PM
ernhart333
Pro

The general public has voted with their money, the SM cars are CHEAPER than privately owned, one owner cars. Its a great opportunity for price conscious buyers.
Not true. Several cars are currently listed on ebay for less than the SM car this person was looking to purchase. And had he not come here, he may have unknowingly paid a premium for this SM car.

I do agree the SM cars are a great opportunity, but the buyer deserves to know the cars history AND the price should most certainly be cheaper compared to Non SM cars. This is not always the case and uneducated buyers are paying too much. So I feel strongly the folks who know, must speak up and educate those who do not know!!!!

Factoid (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 04:54 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Think hard and take a guess which car/cars were already spoken for way before the time they were even offered for sale? Hint, the 3rd car, driven by several drivers during the first three years, was a complete POS and could only be sold at a fraction of what the other two were sold for. Hmmm, think it had anything to do with being driven by several drivers and how each driver drove the car? One drove the car like I would drive it, one drove it like my wife would drive it, and another would drive the car like my 16-year-old son would drive it..... Make any sense?
Right. Because SM just lets any random person with a credit card sign out a car and go drive like an unsupervised ******* on their track.

Quick Reply: Buyer beware Ron Fellows ZR1's