C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 splitter options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 08:36 PM
devojrx7
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ZR1 splitter options?

Is Weapon X still the only reasonable aftermarket splitter option? I’m wanting to take my factory splitter off and save it. Is anyone running the Weapon X splitter?
Old 02-23-2021, 11:47 AM
EvilZ51
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I've talked with them about ordering one but haven't pulled the trigger.

If GM doesn't get there crap together soon and fulfill my order I'm going to cancel it and go this route. This has been hands down the most frustrating experience I've ever had of trying to give someone money.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:36 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 687 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilZ51
This has been hands down the most frustrating experience I've ever had of trying to give someone money.
Pretty sure I’ve said those exact same words. Except I said it when I was trying to buy the damn car in the first place. Lost count after about 10 of all the dealers I contacted that showed they had a car I was interested in.

After I got the car I thought it would be a good idea to get a spare front splitter because it would only be a matter of time before I’d need it. Then I started reading about all the hoops people had to jump through to get one. Decided I had enough frustration with Chevy dealers already and decided to just wait.

Fortunately I was able to snap one up from a private seller who had one who was selling his car. My god what a score. Didn’t even haggle at all. Paid whatever he asked (which actually was very reasonable) just knowing how much headache it was saving trying to source it through a dealer.
The following users liked this post:
ernhart333 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 06:25 PM
Dguth1975
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 55 Posts

Does anyone know if the weapon x one is any lower or pretty exact replica? I think OEM is low enough.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:32 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Repairing a damaged splitter is possible

I haven't had to replace my front splitter yet but it is only because there is a Corvette restoration shop in in Orlando that has a fiberglass and paint master working there. He has been able to repair and fill the scrapes (some that were down to the carbon fiber} and repair the unit to good as new condition.

PM me for contact information - Kev
Old 02-23-2021, 08:33 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dguth1975
Does anyone know if the weapon x one is any lower or pretty exact replica? I think OEM is low enough.
I believe it is a little wider (front to back) and therefore lower

Last edited by Repo Pilot; 02-23-2021 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:51 AM
Dguth1975
Instructor

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
I believe it is a little wider (front to back) and therefore lower
Thanks. That's how it appears in the pictures and was concerned of that. For track driving, I don't need anything lower.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:38 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

They make 2, stock size and 1 that sticks out even further than factory. That's probably the one u don't want.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:48 AM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

If you are staying with the factory splitter I'd highly recommend biting the bullet and installing the Scrape Armor product. Its a perfect fit, you can't see any of it without being on the ground, and it works great. Its paid for itself already versus having to do more than the several repairs I did to the underside of the GM piece before the protection was installed.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:49 AM
Dguth1975
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cman01
They make 2, stock size and 1 that sticks out even further than factory. That's probably the one u don't want.
Thanks. That was my real question. Is their "stock" size one really stock size or is it slightly bigger/lower. The pictures I've seen it appears to be a little wider/lower. I know the bigger one is certainly a no for me.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:03 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Have you contacted them and find out? I've looked on their site and they have a pic where there are 2 splitters 1 looks like the regular one and the other one is the larger/wider one. In their description they say the ZTX splitter is 50mm more aggressive than stock but they also list a ZTXL so how much more does that one stick out? They don't say anywhere on their site.

There's a pic of the *larger* splitter on a car trying to go down a driveway incline to a main road and no matter what that part is going to scrape.

Re: Scrape Armor, I have it on my car but I installed it on my damaged but repaired splitter. I have a new splitter sitting in the rafters of my garage but don't ever plan on installing it. SA requires you to drill 20 holes into your splitter to install it. If you have a undamaged splitter what does putting a drill bit into your splitter 20 times going to do to it? Kinda an oxymoron.

As for getting a new GM splitter, there is a procedure to follow before God will send a splitter to your GM dealer. Your parts people also need to know the steps so God will grant a splitter to them and ultimately to you. It is not a part that you just order because you want one it doesn't work that way. Some people here when following the steps got their splitter within a week or two. My splitter took 1.5 months but the first 4 weeks the parts dept didn't know the steps and when the assistant parts manager found out the procedure my splitter showed up at my house exactly 2 weeks after (ordered from a dealer in Calgary, Alberta).

Find a dealer that knows the steps and provide all the info necessary and ALA there is stock it will not take long to get one.

Tony

Old 02-24-2021, 01:55 PM
devojrx7
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone got some splitter damage pictures I can use to order one from GM? 😃
Old 02-24-2021, 07:04 PM
veeteman GS11
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by devojrx7
Anyone got some splitter damage pictures I can use to order one from GM? 😃