C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Driver side tire rubbing front fender

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 10:40 AM
Dguth1975
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Driver side tire rubbing front fender

Hey guys, just started noticing something on my new to me ZR1. The front driver side tire is rubbing the inside of the front fender where the plastic grate is when turning the wheel to the right, meaning the outer edge of the tire is touching at this point. I'm using the stock size AS/3 tires. I checked the passenger side and it is fine. Plenty of clearance but the driver side seems to be about 1/2 inch closer to tire. I can't figure out why that is. The front bumper looks to be on correctly and the fender well appears to be bolted with no flex. Trying to figure out why that side is rubbing. As it's starting to tear the plastic grate which needs replacing anyway. Could it be the actual tire alignment pushing the wheel a little closer. Can't imagine how that would occur.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:41 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,980 Likes on 1,217 Posts

It might be alignment issue. Check specifically caster. Upper A-arm shims (2 front and 2 rear) needs to be in place and caster/camber adjusted by the lower arm concentric adjusters.
The following 2 users liked this post by range96:
dee zed (11-05-2020), NofakeJake (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 11:45 AM
Dguth1975
Instructor

Originally Posted by range96
It might be alignment issue. Check specifically caster. Upper A-arm shims (2 front and 2 rear) needs to be in place and caster/camber adjusted by the lower arm concentric adjusters.
Thanks. Taking it to the dealer next week and will mention that specifically to them.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:31 PM
Dguth1975
Instructor

Well I had the alignment checked today including front and rear caster. It's fine. I'm thinking the shop/dealership that fixed my front carbon lip when bolting everything back together may somehow have pushed that inner fender in further than it should have. Will have it checked out by the dealership next week. Hopefully they don't screw it up further.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:17 PM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

The grates will always fail, very common. Have them replaced with a mesh screen...

Last edited by SilveradoSS500; 10-27-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:36 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,980 Likes on 1,217 Posts

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
The grates will always fail, very common. Have them replaced with a mesh screen...

Screen nicely done. I have a similar setup that I did as a precaution.

While I've seen several cars with the grates completely broken out, in each case the car was tracked and in each case both sides were affected.

I highly doubt a Chevy dealer would even attempt to install a screen. At most, they would replace a grate that was broken.

OP said it is only one side rubbing and the front CF piece was "fixed". Alignment checked out OK, so I would focus on what was done to the car. Maybe when the CF piece got damaged there was additional undetected damage as well. I would request the dealer to replace the left inner fender lining and won't accept it until the tire no longer scrapes. I would also question the latest alignment results, did they provide a printout of the values? I would not accept their 'word' of yeah, it's fine. Often when one shop says it's fine it checks out not fine at another. Grab a measuring tape, take some measurement and compare the right side to the left. What is the space in front of the tire and the back of the tire (when the wheels are straight). What is the overall wheel well opening, how do they compare left to right? If they are exactly same, caster can be adjusted easily a 1/2" to move the center point rearward and maintain the desired value (with upper control arm shims in addition to the eccentric lower control arm adjusters).

The bottom line, the left wheel should not scrape the lining when the car is stationary and turned to the right lock. I assume we're dealing with stock size tires.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:04 PM
Dguth1975
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500

Thanks for the additional questions. I am using OEM size AS/3 plus Michelin tires. The shop that looked at my alignment was a high exotic shop and are very familiar with alignment specs. I don't have the dimensions in front of me but the head tech stated that according to the caster settings, the driver side wheel was further back than the passenger side and didn't want to mess it up further. I'm suspicious that possibly when the front splitter was damaged it may have shifted something causing that inner wheel liner to push inwards. I've looked all underneath the car and can't determine any misalignment as all the bolts line up, etc. It almost seems like that inner wheel liner on the driver side just curves more inward than the other side. See picture below. I have an appointment with the dealer next week and will see what they uncover. Hopefully it's just a simple fix or adjustment.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
range96 (10-28-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 09:34 PM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

So, I damaged my OEM splitter and the tiniest impact pushed the radiator support bracket back some. Sounds like you might have shifted some stuff.

We took it apart the splitter at LG and it’s impressively intricate...

Here’s what you should do: find a shop that will install metal mesh and bend the mesh back towards the cooler, give yourself some more clearance than the factory crates. Then just leave it as is...you don’t want to take the bumper off this thing, it’s not fun and I wouldn’t just have anyone do it.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:43 PM
Dguth1975
Instructor

Quick update on this. The dealer has been extremely informative and helpful. The prior damage to the front splitter on the driver side did push the metal bracket backwards which holds the radiators. They were able to adjust this and line it up. They are also ordering in a new wheel liner to replace the tore existing one. Here's picture of how bad it was rubbing.
Attached Images   
The following 2 users liked this post by Dguth1975:
frodoz737 (11-04-2020), range96 (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 09:59 PM
SD27
Pro

Received 310 Likes on 138 Posts

Glad they figured it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver side tire rubbing front fender

Quick Reply: Driver side tire rubbing front fender