C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

2019 ZR1 vs ZO6 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 09:59 PM
mityaz
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
disclaimer: i don't have a Zr1. I have a Z06/z07 with mag ride update. I've never driven a Zr1. But I do track a lot. I tend to be harsh on the zr1 due to the cost. I'd love to have one. I'll try and be objective.

Here are some facts:

ZR1 brakes are the same as z07 (perhaps different pads?)
Brembo makes rotor specifically for ZR1. Different compound. Also, front pads are different.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:09 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

I’ve already said my peace in this thread...But I’ll add this...There is no question the ZR1 is better. Period.

Where the extra money likely can be justified...other than the obvious HP, cooling and overall performance is exclusivity and knowing you own the LAST front engine, manual Vette EVER made...853 of them. Not seeing those at every corner like a base C7 or Porsche...

Old 05-15-2020, 04:20 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,397 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by mityaz
Brembo makes rotor specifically for ZR1. Different compound. Also, front pads are different.
Good to know. Wonder what's different, or just an updated part number.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:13 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,737 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Livingston
Take a leisurely cruise in your $170,000,000 ZR1 thru the Hood tonight and feel the warm welcome. One must take in to consideration the times we are living in today.
One must keep in mind subject of thread.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:32 AM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 689 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Livingston
Take a leisurely cruise in your $170,000,000 ZR1 thru the Hood tonight and feel the warm welcome. One must take in to consideration the times we are living in today.
Maybe someone who paid a markup to have one of the first ones paid that much, but these things seemed to mostly cost somewhere in the $130-140k range.

I’d feel more comfortable rolling through the “hood” or past a cop in my all dark colored ZR1 then I would with a bright yellow or red base Stingray 1LT with chrome wheels, race mufflers, and the stereo blasting with the windows open. In the end, to your typical bystander, a Corvette is a Corvette. They don’t know the difference (and price tags) between Z51, Z06, and ZR1.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:34 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Good to know. Wonder what's different, or just an updated part number.
Here are some details on the ZR1 brakes; essentially a special heat treatment to the rotors and different pad compound front and rear.
https://www.automoblog.net/2018/01/0...brembo-brakes/
The following 2 users liked this post by BillY2KFRC:
NofakeJake (05-15-2020), Thomasmoto (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 10:28 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Default Zr1

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
Here are some details on the ZR1 brakes; essentially a special heat treatment to the rotors and different pad compound front and rear.
Thanks for the link. Great information.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:44 PM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 245 Posts

I had a 16 Z06, it wasn't a Z07 with the stiffer suspension and better brakes but I did update the MRC with GM's update and that definitely helped it to ride better, etc. Never really tracked the car in any HPDE events but plenty of shenanigans ensued elsewhere. I've driven plenty of Z07 versions as well though with and without the MRC update, just never beat on them like that but their ride was even stiffer. That being said the ZR1 is just better in every single metric I can come up with outside of initial cost and somehow it just feels more refined all over, the ride is a bit stiffer as to be expected but it feels "smoother" if that makes any sense and everything about the car just feels better.

As far as the cost of a ZR1 vs a Z06 that's ALWAYS a personal choice and everybody is going to have their own opinion of it. The fact that there were less than 2900 produced and only for a single year means it's going to be more exclusive and more expensive no matter what and then throw in the engine/blower changes, suspension/brakes, etc and to me it was well worth it. Any ridiculousness being mentioned about feeling safe while driving it through the hood or whatever other crap somebody comes up with is pretty funny though, I don't think anybody who owns a ZR1 is even remotely concerned about that.
The following 4 users liked this post by NicD:
saleen556 (05-15-2020), samwint77 (05-20-2020), Thomasmoto (05-15-2020), Zo62018A8 (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 05:41 PM
mepowel
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2016 Z07. Manual. *LOVED* it. Tracked it over 40 times (I need to check my log for the exact number of days). Bought a used ZR1. Also manual. I've had it on track about 9 times. Turns out I had an issue with the high pressure fuel pump, and it was robbing me of horsepower. So I was kind of underwhelmed with the ZR1, thinking it was not that much different than a Z06/07, on the track. It was louder, the brakes are *amazing*, but I wasn't that much faster. I've been on track once since I got the new high pressure fuel pump installed, and I was on worn SC2 tires (they corded later in the day), and I still ran faster times than I had in my Z06 (same track).

After getting the new fuel pump, it was like a new car from 80 to 150 mph (as fast as I can get it before the brake zone into turn 1). Night and day. With the faulty fuel pump it felt basically like a Z06. With the new fuel pump, the thing is a beast.

Is it worth the extra money? That is for everyone to figure out according to their financial situation. Speed costs. And it doesn't increase linearly with speed---cost goes up exponentially with speed.

But I have to go back to the brakes. A few days ago, I out-braked a Porsche GT3 Cup racing car that weighs a lot less. I routinely out-brake Ferrari's, McClaren's, Porsches, Lambos. And I've noticed the rear pads last about 2X longer than the Z06 pads. The front pads, alas, only about 1.2x longer.

PS: for me, the "burble" of the ZR is worth $10k easy. hahahahahaha
Old 05-15-2020, 05:47 PM
SD27
Pro

Received 310 Likes on 138 Posts

Interesting. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2020, 06:01 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by mepowel
I had a 2016 Z07. Manual. *LOVED* it. Tracked it over 40 times (I need to check my log for the exact number of days). Bought a used ZR1. Also manual. I've had it on track about 9 times. Turns out I had an issue with the high pressure fuel pump, and it was robbing me of horsepower. So I was kind of underwhelmed with the ZR1, thinking it was not that much different than a Z06/07, on the track. It was louder, the brakes are *amazing*, but I wasn't that much faster. I've been on track once since I got the new high pressure fuel pump installed, and I was on worn SC2 tires (they corded later in the day), and I still ran faster times than I had in my Z06 (same track).

After getting the new fuel pump, it was like a new car from 80 to 150 mph (as fast as I can get it before the brake zone into turn 1). Night and day. With the faulty fuel pump it felt basically like a Z06. With the new fuel pump, the thing is a beast.

Is it worth the extra money? That is for everyone to figure out according to their financial situation. Speed costs. And it doesn't increase linearly with speed---cost goes up exponentially with speed.

But I have to go back to the brakes. A few days ago, I out-braked a Porsche GT3 Cup racing car that weighs a lot less. I routinely out-brake Ferrari's, McClaren's, Porsches, Lambos. And I've noticed the rear pads last about 2X longer than the Z06 pads. The front pads, alas, only about 1.2x longer.

PS: for me, the "burble" of the ZR is worth $10k easy. hahahahahaha
Just curios... how did you know/ determine there was an issue with your fuel pump? Are there any symptoms you can spot easily?

My Z06 was an A8 and my ZR1 is an M7 and I am feeling like you. Doesn’t seem all that much faster at times (seat of my pants). Maybe it’s the gearing or it puts the power down so much smoother, but I’d like to be sure.

Oh, and that “burble”.... the Corsa double helix X-pipe will make it twice as long and twice as loud and worth an extra $10K
Old 05-15-2020, 06:11 PM
mepowel
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the Corsa double helix tip! I'll check it out!!

As for the fuel pump issue, it only showed up on track (never on the street, perhaps because I rarely drive it except to/from the track---but my suspicion is because you have to be on it hard for it to manifest itself). It would *intermittently* "stop pulling" at about 5k RPM. When I say intermittently, it didn't happen every track day. When it did happen on a track day, it didn't happen every lap. It would happen in 2nd and in 3rd gears, and up-shifting acted normal. When I say "stop pulling" I mean it felt like the torque just plateaued---kind of like at rev limit but without any of the engine stutter you get at rev limit.

Now that I know what a full-powered ZR1 feels like, I would be able to spot it quicker. I'm a little embarrassed to say in a forum of experienced Corvette drivers (on track and off track) that for a long time I just talked myself into the ZR1-isn't-that-much-more-than-a-Z06 camp. It was a reasonable explanation for why my speeds on the straights weren't any better than the Z06 (I blamed the big wing). But I took it into the dealer because of this intermittent won't-keep-pulling-past-5k-rpm issue. They contacted Detroit. Nobody else has reported this problem for a ZR1. Replacing the high pressure fuel pump did the trick.

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:20 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
As far as the cost of a ZR1 vs a Z06 that's ALWAYS a personal choice and everybody is going to have their own opinion of it. The fact that there were less than 2900 produced and only for a single year means it's going to be more exclusive and more expensive no matter what and then throw in the engine/blower changes, suspension/brakes, etc and to me it was well worth it.
A couple of weeks ago I sold an X5 M Competition to a customer and I told him the best I can do is since I can't take anything off of MSRP I can get him an M Shirt, M Cap, and M Coffee mug and he was pretty cool with it. Just like you, he said he wanted something that is extremely exclusive. Dude has a Huracan as well.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:27 PM
mepowel
Heel & Toe

I share the track with one guy that has a couple of Lambo's, a couple of Ferraris, and a couple of McLaren's, including a McLaren Senna.

That Senna is SOOOOOOOO quick. Beauty and function.

The one time I was on the track with him and the Senna, I still had the fuel pump issue. Would like to do it again, with fresh tires and now at full power. Of course the Senna is faster, but man is it fun to be on the track with!!!!
Old 05-15-2020, 10:23 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Anyone have experience running a highly modded Z06 compared to the ZR1? Just curious how an 800+ HP Z06 would compare.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:42 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by mepowel
Thanks for the Corsa double helix tip! I'll check it out!!

Best $599 I ever spent .... if you are into sound and want to pick up a few horses! My best friend heard mine and ordered one from his cell phone on the spot from the parking lot Hahaha

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/colle...1-lt4?variant=37647884305

As for the fuel pump issue, it only showed up on track (never on the street, perhaps because I rarely drive it except to/from the track---but my suspicion is because you have to be on it hard for it to manifest itself). It would *intermittently* "stop pulling" at about 5k RPM. When I say intermittently, it didn't happen every track day. When it did happen on a track day, it didn't happen every lap. It would happen in 2nd and in 3rd gears, and up-shifting acted normal. When I say "stop pulling" I mean it felt like the torque just plateaued---kind of like at rev limit but without any of the engine stutter you get at rev limit.

Now that I know what a full-powered ZR1 feels like, I would be able to spot it quicker. I'm a little embarrassed to say in a forum of experienced Corvette drivers (on track and off track) that for a long time I just talked myself into the ZR1-isn't-that-much-more-than-a-Z06 camp. It was a reasonable explanation for why my speeds on the straights weren't any better than the Z06 (I blamed the big wing). But I took it into the dealer because of this intermittent won't-keep-pulling-past-5k-rpm issue. They contacted Detroit. Nobody else has reported this problem for a ZR1. Replacing the high pressure fuel pump did the trick.

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing.
Thanks for the information! Not confusing at all and I will have to keep an eye on that.

Last edited by NofakeJake; 05-15-2020 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:39 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by NofakeJake
Thanks for the information! Not confusing at all and I will have to keep an eye on that.
This is a completely stock z06 A8 with the factory tune. All it has is a Corsa Double Helix X Pipe and Corsa's extreme exhaust. No check engine light and the car can easily be turned back to stock since the X pipe and exhaust are "Plug n Play" without any welding/cutting etc. Imo looks much better than the stock exhaust too that constantly needs cleaning.

The following users liked this post:
NofakeJake (05-16-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To 2019 ZR1 vs ZO6 comparison

Old 05-16-2020, 08:26 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 898 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC

The pads are a big step up, definitely an improved compound. A friend uses them on his 2017 Z07. He won't give up the CCBs, likes them on the track. Since putting the ZR1 pads on the rear rotors look like they have stopped pock-marking. Fronts ceramic rotors are still going to need replacing, but the ZR1 pads are helping lengthen their life.

I'm surprised GM didn't put this compound pad on all the '19s.
BillY2KFRC (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 02:11 PM
VetteMark
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I good place to see a heads up on the street is youtuber Corvettes 918. He has some footage running them together.

For me tho, I have a 2017 Z06 and a 2019 ZR1 and despite the numbers being not so different on the torque side, it has a completely different feel in the overall power band and feels way smoother and faster as a result. There is no initial bog/tip in with it compared to the Z06 from a stop acceleration.

Last edited by VetteMark; 05-17-2020 at 02:12 PM.
DebRedZR1 (05-20-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 02:26 PM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 975 Likes on 500 Posts

Can I buy the zr1 rotors and pads and put them on my z06 w/z07 package? Are the calipers the same? If they last longer that would be huge. Especially because the z06 is lighter and has less hp.

Quick Reply: 2019 ZR1 vs ZO6 comparison