C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Flex Fuel option

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 11:59 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Default Flex Fuel option

Curious if anyone has any insight into if any of the vendors are still working on a flex fuel sensor / option for the ZR1. I know dsxtuning has scratched the surface on one, but I haven't heard anything for a while. The LT5 would love it some e85.....

Last edited by C7&7; 05-02-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Popular Reply

07-11-2021, 11:36 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by C7&7
Agreed. Assuming there is a bug in HP tuners that needs to get addressed. Or has been addressed and Dave is getting closer.
There's no bug in HP Tuners. HP Tuners has maybe 10% of the total parameters in the ECM defined, so I've had to go hunt down the appropriate things myself and change the values to make things work. I'm working with HP Tuners right now to develop a patch to the operating system that'll enhance functionality, and that's what I'm waiting for before a public release of this. They agreed to do it because I can provide memory addresses and clear descriptions of what needs to be done, but I have to wait for it to get processed in their list of other responsibilities.

Dave do you have a low side on this car? Will a pulley, intake, headers car with flex fuel require a low side based on your testing?
Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
I'd like to know this as well.
Originally Posted by Danieleo
That makes us three.
Originally Posted by 2019 ZR1
Four of us
Originally Posted by TON C7S
Five of us. Hopefully soon for all of us. I know Dave will get this done.
Yes, I have a low side. The car currently only has headers and the GM airbox along with a flex sensor because it is foolish to change a ton of things at once and expect to accurately find what tables/values need to be defined and how they should be adjusted. I have the low side set to trigger at 63 g/s of fuel flow. With the aux pump disabled, I would start to see a VERY slight drop in fuel pressure around 6400rpm on E65. A truly stock car can probably run E85 without needing an aux pump, but any mods after that will definitely require it. I'm working on developing a specific calibration setup for the low side (in the ECM) that'll make things operate nice and predictably.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:27 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

DSX is the only one I’ve heard of. He’s the leader in it to begin with. He also owns a Zr1. I ‘believe’ he has it actually functional on his car. He’s been working on his new shop and had his dyno open so focus hasn’t been on product development as much lately. I do know it is way more involved than other cars to do and don’t imagine it will be a simple install. Hopefully I’m wrong.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:31 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ss2z06
DSX is the only one I’ve heard of. He’s the leader in it to begin with. He also owns a Zr1. I ‘believe’ he has it actually functional on his car. He’s been working on his new shop and had his dyno open so focus hasn’t been on product development as much lately. I do know it is way more involved than other cars to do and don’t imagine it will be a simple install. Hopefully I’m wrong.
Yea Dave and I chatted on Instagram about what he has accomplished so far. Sounds like he does have a proof of concept, but he doesn't want a potential buyer to have to cut into any wires at all. That's the current hang up is making it plug and play. The fact that it is possible is promising though. I would buy a kit from him for sure. Loved having flex fuel on my '14.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:07 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Agreed, I had his kit on my c6 Zr1 and on my wife’s Ctsv. I’ve installed it on several other cars too. Doing one on a zl1 currently. I’d be thrilled to have it on my c7 Zr1. The only thing is I don’t know if I could tune the car in its current setup to actually be safe on 91. That being the case I don’t know how beneficial it would be for me at least.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:54 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

I think the ability to have flex fuel and run e85 will be a game changer for C7 ZR1’s
Old 05-03-2020, 09:19 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bob U
I think the ability to have flex fuel and run e85 will be a game changer for C7 ZR1’s
Agreed! The lt5 will love the corn!
Old 05-04-2020, 07:22 PM
DTOM
Drifting

Received 744 Likes on 408 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Or considering doing a switched 93/100 octane dual map tune

The following 2 users liked this post by DTOM:
frodoz737 (05-06-2020), Repo Pilot (01-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2020, 10:57 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DTOM
Or considering doing a switched 93/100 octane dual map tune

Interesting concept there. Where does that switch go. Is it just closing a contact on the ECU somewhere? I’ve considered doing a e85 tune and a 93 tune and just switching them with HP Tuners but flex fuel is so much better!
Old 05-06-2020, 06:08 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Once the Flex Fuel kit is available for our ZR1's, we will need a few supporting mods to make it work.
Tune
Low side fuel upgrade
Larger Port Injectors

Is there anything I'm missing?
Old 05-06-2020, 06:41 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bob U
Once the Flex Fuel kit is available for our ZR1's, we will need a few supporting mods to make it work.
Tune
Low side fuel upgrade
Larger Port Injectors

Is there anything I'm missing?
Well I’m betting you could do headers and flex fuel and tune without any other supporting mods. This was possible on the LT1/4 and I’d imagine there’s more headroom on the LT5 because it has PFI piggyback. You probably could put a cold air on it also.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:42 PM
Ninetres
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Well I’m betting you could do headers and flex fuel and tune without any other supporting mods. This was possible on the LT1/4 and I’d imagine there’s more headroom on the LT5 because it has PFI piggyback. You probably could put a cold air on it also.
40%ish more volume required switching to full e85. That’s a lot of headroom if so.
The following users liked this post:
C7&7 (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 10:32 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ninetres
40%ish more volume required switching to full e85. That’s a lot of headroom if so.
Agreed. It will open a bunch of different doors.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:51 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Don't do it Tim... Total waste... lol

Old 05-08-2020, 09:53 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

So, the guys are getting together tomorrow at Hutchins in Frisco at 11..... you in?
Old 05-08-2020, 10:04 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CBMZR1
So, the guys are getting together tomorrow at Hutchins in Frisco at 11..... you in?
I think I am.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:04 AM
0DSX Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

It is coming. I believe people have already outlined why it hasn't. I refuse to make people cut their factory wiring, and the way it has to work on the ZR1 requires access to wiring that's really hard to make plug and play. I've been having a nightmare time sourcing the connectors. I also have to run completely custom electronics with custom programming because this isn't just a "toss a pin in" scenario... this requires CAN messaging. I've also been swamped with manufacturing as well as getting my building under way. I need to hire likely two people just to get myself out of the mountain!

If anybody else figures out how to make it work, I will seriously wonder... because I know what it needs, and I'll wonder how the hell they got the information. Lol.
The following users liked this post:
755BMF (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 10:47 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DSX Tuning
It is coming. I believe people have already outlined why it hasn't. I refuse to make people cut their factory wiring, and the way it has to work on the ZR1 requires access to wiring that's really hard to make plug and play. I've been having a nightmare time sourcing the connectors. I also have to run completely custom electronics with custom programming because this isn't just a "toss a pin in" scenario... this requires CAN messaging. I've also been swamped with manufacturing as well as getting my building under way. I need to hire likely two people just to get myself out of the mountain!

If anybody else figures out how to make it work, I will seriously wonder... because I know what it needs, and I'll wonder how the hell they got the information. Lol.
We appreciate you being a pioneer Dave! I’m lined up ready to buy one when it’s ready.

Get notified of new replies

To Flex Fuel option

Old 05-17-2020, 07:40 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Thanks, we are looking forward to it.
Bob
Old 05-22-2020, 09:45 AM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

There's a listing on the fast list running E70. Don't know if it's a flex fuel setup or a straight tune.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:49 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bigsapper
There's a listing on the fast list running E70. Don't know if it's a flex fuel setup or a straight tune.
If it's a ZR1 it isn't flex fuel, would just be a straight tune for ethanol. We all have our fingers process for flex fuel at some point.

Quick Reply: Flex Fuel option