C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Getting the ZR1 fully wrapped with XPEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 04:13 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Getting the ZR1 fully wrapped with XPEL

I decided to get my car fully wrapped with XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS and then ceramic coated with XPEL FUSION. It looks fantastic, but I also found out a "fix" for the less than beautiful under hood carbon fiber...

Old 03-10-2020, 11:06 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

I wrapped mine too and did the ceramic coating. However, it doesn't seem to repel rubber marks very well at the track. Another applier in the area suggested that the wrap does have some porosity and will absorb the ceramic coating from the surface. He suggested at least 2 good coats. I am thinking about another coat or two and see what the results are with the next track session.
The following 3 users liked this post by SouthernSon:
Esoteric Detail (03-11-2020), HorsePowerObsessed (03-10-2020), Runnn (03-12-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 11:43 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I wrapped mine too and did the ceramic coating. However, it doesn't seem to repel rubber marks very well at the track. Another applier in the area suggested that the wrap does have some porosity and will absorb the ceramic coating from the surface. He suggested at least 2 good coats. I am thinking about another coat or two and see what the results are with the next track session.
That's interesting that you say that. I was just asking the XPEL rep about layering XPEL FUSION and he said you can do it. I was going to take my car back in come Spring time and get another layer because... Why not? Now I think I definitely will. Thanks for the information!
Old 03-11-2020, 06:24 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,769 Likes on 970 Posts

I have 100% wrapped my last 5 cars, clean up and car care has never been easier, paint correction before wrapping and the results are amazing. Send my cars to Ohio to Esoteric, best I have found so far.

Last edited by hcvone; 03-11-2020 at 06:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hcvone:
Esoteric Detail (03-11-2020), Runnn (03-12-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 02:07 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Originally Posted by hcvone
I have 100% wrapped my last 5 cars, clean up and car care has never been easier, paint correction before wrapping and the results are amazing. Send my cars to Ohio to Esoteric, best I have found so far.
Definitely the best way to drive the car with peace of mind! Blackout Tinting in Latrobe, PA has done an absolute fantastic job on my car as well.
The following users liked this post:
2019 ZR1 (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 09:04 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePowerObsessed
Definitely the best way to drive the car with peace of mind! Blackout Tinting in Latrobe, PA has done an absolute fantastic job on my car as well.
Good choice!! I used Distinct Automotive Appearance in Export PA. and I must say these 2 shops are both awesome.
HorsePowerObsessed (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 09:22 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2019 ZR1
Good choice!! I used Distinct Automotive Appearance in Export PA. and I must say these 2 shops are both awesome.
Yup! A good installer makes a huge difference with this stuff.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:19 AM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 689 Likes on 376 Posts

Yup! A good installer makes a huge difference with this stuff.
Ain’t that the truth. I had mine done with Xpel Ultimate a couple months ago. There’s either a speck of debris and/or bubbles in just about every single panel they covered.

If it was one or two panels I’d take it back and have them redo them. But all of them? Why bother...they obviously don’t know what they're doing so why bother giving them my car for another week just to probably get the same result.
NofakeJake (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 02:46 AM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheRobSJ
Ain’t that the truth. I had mine done with Xpel Ultimate a couple months ago. There’s either a speck of debris and/or bubbles in just about every single panel they covered.

If it was one or two panels I’d take it back and have them redo them. But all of them? Why bother...they obviously don’t know what they're doing so why bother giving them my car for another week just to probably get the same result.
Ouch. Usually if you take it back they can fix the bubbles with a syringe, but if there is debris under there that's another story.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:03 AM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 764 Likes on 357 Posts

Exact same thing happened to me. Shop wasn't 100% sterile and dust particles on every panel.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:49 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Ouch. Usually if you take it back they can fix the bubbles with a syringe, but if there is debris under there that's another story.
All the large bubbles (usually next to a 90 degree bend) I’ve “lanced” and flattened myself. There’s still lots of small ones...which are probably dust/debris trapped.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:10 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

All the large bubbles (usually next to a 90 degree bend) I’ve “lanced” and flattened myself. There’s still lots of small ones...which are probably dust/debris trapped.
Very likely. I'm sorry you had that kind of experience.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:33 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Very likely. I'm sorry you had that kind of experience.
That’s what I get for being lazy. I’ve seen plenty of PPF jobs on all the NSXs I’ve worked on. The ones I’ve thought were good, I asked the owners where they did the work. Best one was hand cut with all edges overlapped. Just amazing. But...ten grand. Another that was machine/template cut that was really good, I was all set to do. But it was Suntek film. And I really wanted Xpel Ultimate because I think it’s a little more robust and has the self healing thing. That said, Suntek seems to be a bit smoother/glossier than Xpel.

Turns out a shop super close to my house was an Xpel/Ceramic Pro installer. Decent price and I was able to just walk home after dropping it off.
HorsePowerObsessed (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 09:47 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

That’s what I get for being lazy. I’ve seen plenty of PPF jobs on all the NSXs I’ve worked on. The ones I’ve thought were good, I asked the owners where they did the work. Best one was hand cut with all edges overlapped. Just amazing. But...ten grand. Another that was machine/template cut that was really good, I was all set to do. But it was Suntek film. And I really wanted Xpel Ultimate because I think it’s a little more robust and has the self healing thing. That said, Suntek seems to be a bit smoother/glossier than Xpel.

Turns out a shop super close to my house was an Xpel/Ceramic Pro installer. Decent price and I was able to just walk home after dropping it off.
Through all my experiences, convenience almost never goes with expertise, unfortunately. If it's out of the way, expensive, and a pain, it's probably the best one to go to lol.
TheRobSJ (03-13-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 05:00 AM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts

Invisible Car Bras in Orlando did both my C7 Z51 and ZR1.

Dave is an artist. and a perfectionist. No bubbles, visible end points, stretch marks or problems. Shop is always full of high end "Exotics".

Highly recommend.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:14 AM
AintQik
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m picking mine up today. Made the mistake of waiting and I regret it. Don’t be like Aintqik. 1k miles and already showing signs of use.
HorsePowerObsessed (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 11:57 AM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Originally Posted by AintQik
I’m picking mine up today. Made the mistake of waiting and I regret it. Don’t be like Aintqik. 1k miles and already showing signs of use.
I drove mine home (less than 200 miles) before getting it XPEL'd and I regret doing even that. I had a chip here and there that had to be filled in before the XPEL went on. I wish I would have just had it shipped straight to Blackout Tinting for the install before even driving it.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:48 PM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 764 Likes on 357 Posts

XPEL is not 100% against rock chips though. I have a pretty nasty one that went right through last week.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:43 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

For any of you thinking about getting this done it is 100% worth it! It literally just saved me a carbon fiber front lip on my ZR1. Garage mishap was totally erased because of both XPEL products applied to my car!

Get notified of new replies

To Getting the ZR1 fully wrapped with XPEL

Quick Reply: Getting the ZR1 fully wrapped with XPEL