C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

The ZR1 is a flop

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 11:58 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,105 Likes on 876 Posts

I want an "All-Wheel Drive" Corvette!
Take all that Horsepower and the perfectly balanced chassis and what do you need? TRACTION, preferably traction at all four wheels all the time.

Why have the Germans put so much effort into this area and here in the U.S. they want to take a perfectly good car and make it mid-engined and then have the nerve call that "progress" I want to see some "American Innovation" at work here guys. Corvettes have been making power for a long time. I have a 50 year old Corvette that will spin the tires all the way to the 1/8th mile mark on the quarter mile tracks. Traction is and has been an issue with Corvettes for many years and generations of Corvettes, is it not time to solve this one issue?

Corvettes have needed all wheel drive for a while now, in my humble opinion. This one "change" will make us lead the world, not follow it!

I love my Corvettes. I am disappointed by GM but I have "HOPE" for the future of the Corvette, as long as they do not offer it as an SUV!
Old 09-22-2018, 12:10 PM
norge1956
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 117 Posts

New Car and Driver just came out and the ZR1 place second behind the 911GT2RS Weissach LL5 ..

Testing was at Virginia International Speedway..

A lot of super cars were tested including the McLaren 720S, so the ZR1 was far from the bottom of the pack !
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (09-24-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 12:23 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

All wheel drive might increase grip but it seems antithetical to the hooligan attitude of a Corvette. I need to be able to get sideways or push from the rear tires.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Time to kill this thread...
The following 3 users liked this post by Vet Interested:
ArmchairArchitect (09-24-2018), CorvettoBrando (09-30-2018), desmophile (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 12:58 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
The current chassis is at its limit. I was surprised to see them add more power to it, with the z06 pretty much overpowering it as it is. You watch Randy Probst white knuckle the z06 and then turn around and talk about how easy the Zl1 is to run around the track, it makes you think. The mid-engine I think is the change you are looking for.
To OP, keep your ZL1. People are cherry picking, either data on performance or other qualities.
For me my C7Z (had ‘17 C7 GS for over a year) has everything I could want from a GM car including looks. Except for the classics, Camaros have been VERY guido and I’m not 20 nor do I want hideous flames or a ricey spoiler on my car.
Just test drove ZL1 and still can’t get with the looks. At best, id have to hide it in my garage and trailer her to the track, wouldn’t be caught dead with her at the office of around town— a “one bagger” for dark parking lots if u get my drift !

Yeah, pls kill this thread.

Last edited by Parcival; 09-22-2018 at 01:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Parcival:
ArmchairArchitect (09-24-2018), Mayrivercrab (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 01:18 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

The ZR1 is not a flop of a Corvette.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:24 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

OP drives and tracks a gs guys, not a Camaro zl1 1le. He just thinks it is the best track weapon GM makes.

I am kinda with him on the zl1 1le being the best track weapon. How cool that you can dial in camber with a screw driver all on your own!?

How did this zr1 NOT end up with multimatic shocks?

AWD would be so innovative, like Porsche had never made an awd 911, lambo neither.🤣 Having made that joke, I do think it might help, but then we would be looking at a 4,000lb Corvette! It would be able to claw it's way out of those slow corners at laguna though.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:58 PM
eyedeekay
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by theplatinumog

AWD would be so innovative, like Porsche had never made an awd 911, lambo neither.🤣 Having made that joke, I do think it might help, but then we would be looking at a 4,000lb Corvette! It would be able to claw it's way out of those slow corners at laguna though.
​​​​​​
for real though, would awd really be necessary for the vette now? Mclaren 720s launch is on par with most awd supercars out there today and it's 1/4 mile is up there with hyprrcars. Maybe GM can do what mclaren did.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:25 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 527 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
I still don't understand why anyone buys any Corvette for drag racing.

There really seems to be a lack of understanding of physics, and engineering when the mission is to push the limits. The closer you get to the limits, the more specialized the vehicle must become. Ever seen a Formula 1 car's 1/4 mile time? Ever see a lap time from the Nurburgring set by a top fuel dragster?
Turning left in a top fuel dragster is tough. I did see one go EXTREMELY to the right once
Old 09-22-2018, 03:26 PM
metal
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

And there you are!
Old 09-22-2018, 03:55 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by IRMB
Ha. Fanboys always so butthurt when their team doesn't win.

This is me and my car, btw. I love it.

Thanks for posting this pic. This post makes all kinds of sense now.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:32 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Have you also driven a Z on track? Are you telling me you didn't notice how much more diligent you have to be while rolling into the throttle in the Z? really? ... You must not be driving fast enough.

I wasn't making a faster lap times argument. I was talking about hooking up under power. I would argue the gs could use that horsepower bump we are talking about, because the chasis could take it.

Doesn't the ZR1 make more power than the gt2rs? Would you argue the zr1 has a better chasis? ... Do you know how different the gt2rs chasis is from a normal Carrera? They didn't just give it another 300 horsepower and call it good like GM did turning the gs into the zr1. Oh and they fixed the overheating problem that shouldn't have been there in the first place and added a spoiler.

The zr1 is to super cars what every other Corvette is to their competitors. Often performance is on par or better than for half the price.

I don't really agree it is a flop. They will sell as many of them as they make. I just wish more changed for the extra $90k
Yes since 2015. I cant seem to have any issue with putting power to the ground. May be its my father who taught me that the go fun pedal is not an on/off switch some 20 years ago before I even had a drivers license.

I can tell you why the GT2 RS is so fast around a track. Its called Sport Cup 2 R tires. Porsches been supplying two different sets of tires for the mag tests (or most of them at least) Mags were told to put the R for the track and immediately switch to the N2 spec Cup 2s for the street. Don't ask me why run the Rs off-road only. Been trying to figure it out myself. Im thinking its either one of the following two reasons: The Cup 2 Rs are either going to fall apart on the street because their compound is pretty much the same as the compound used in their ALMS race car or they are simply not DOT legal.

Theres been a few tests in Europe with the GT2 RS on the actual factory equipped tire (Cup 2 N2 spec) and it was beaten badly by both the heavier under powered Performante and also the Macca 720S on the Pzero Corsa.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lavender:
ArmchairArchitect (09-24-2018), CorvettoBrando (09-30-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 04:41 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Good point about the tires. A lot of these fastest cars in the world seem to come down to that. Corvette has been flaunting their tire technology since the c7 debuted.

It is sort of silly, any stock tire available for the vette is basically an ice skate for the first couple miles.

You won't get an argument from me about the importance of tires.

Did you notice you could lay into the throttle harder in the .1 gt3? I swear I did, but our driving style could be different.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:44 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eyedeekay
​​​​​​
for real though, would awd really be necessary for the vette now? Mclaren 720s launch is on par with most awd supercars out there today and it's 1/4 mile is up there with hyprrcars. Maybe GM can do what mclaren did.
If they offered it, I wouldn't get it. I assume most wouldn't. But it is fun to think about.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:53 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Good point about the tires. A lot of these fastest cars in the world seem to come down to that. Corvette has been flaunting their tire technology since the c7 debuted.

It is sort of silly, any stock tire available for the vette is basically an ice skate for the first couple miles.

You won't get an argument from me about the importance of tires.

Did you notice you could lay into the throttle harder in the .1 gt3? I swear I did, but our driving style could be different.
Too bad the Cup 2 ZPs on the C7s are 2 generations behind the Cup 2 N2 and especially so the Cup 2 Rs on the GT2 RS.

One thing I noticed on corner exit in the GT3 is that I could almost floor the car and nothing bad would come out of it. Its got the engine sitting on the rear axle. That and the fact that its producing so little torque is helping it big time on corner exit.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:23 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Vette
For a rear wheel drive front mount engine, the ZR1 has a uniqueness the others in its class don't. One crappy magazine comparison? Who cares? An instant classic.
Its not one car magazine though. Car and Driver didnt have many good things to say either when they did gt2rs comparison with ZR1.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:40 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Yeah, it's a real piece of garbage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKQxKZWZFFE
That's a great video and especially great driving. That McLaren is FAST. Cornering is not to the level of the ZR1. C&D mentioned understeer and in your video, there are times where the Mac is drifting wide, not being able to hold the inside line.
Questar (09-22-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To The ZR1 is a flop

Old 09-22-2018, 05:52 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Auto bild did a test between the regular z06 and a gt2 RS, z06 just lost by a hair. I think the zr1 is just really hard to drive as you can see here the z06 is already neck and neck on the track so a zr1 should have a little pull away power.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/chevr...-13469223.html

you can use google translate to see what they say.
ArmchairArchitect (09-24-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 06:15 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Z06 vs ZR1 straght line comparison;
Old 09-22-2018, 06:53 PM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Here’s the deal, the C7 Z07 and ZR1 are NOT drag racers. They have a ton of downforce and aero drag, stiff side wall-run flat tire. If you wanna drag race one of these cars, you gotta let air out of the tire, heat up the tire and know what you’re doing. You can’t just throw an editor in it, line it up and punch it...it will never hook. You gotta know how to drive these cars... put me in the drag race and see what’s up.

Tracks complement cars... who knows the condition of those tires when Randy did his run. The techniquely are only good for 1-2 laps. And those laps are amazing when the tire is heated up and fresh. Randy is also Porsche bias.

I’ve driven most of those cars and I can tell you none of them will turn into a corner like the C7 will. I’m in a big battle with my buddies about all of this and they have all the same cars in the test. I’ll be going head to head with a GT2RS soon, once my ZR1 arrives.

I hold a handful of unofficial records at COTA in a few cars (performante, Z07, AMG- GTR etc) and will be going for a nasty lap in my ZR1. For a track like COTA, the Corvette destroys there. I’ll make us all proud and put the hate on the GT2RS.

Name another car for under 150k that can do a sub 7min lap at the ring...the ring also doesn’t mean anything to us in the USA, for the record.

The following 4 users liked this post by SilveradoSS500:
ArmchairArchitect (09-24-2018), desmophile (09-22-2018), pdiddy972 (09-22-2018), Questar (09-22-2018)

Quick Reply: The ZR1 is a flop