C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test at Laguna Seca Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 03:43 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisducati

Doing this from memory, so I might be slightly off:
ZR1:1:32.46
McLaren: 1:29.78
Huracan:1:29.99
GT2RS:1:28.3
Wow, 4.1 seconds behind the GT2RS on a short track is brutal. That's a really big difference. It's actually a huge difference.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:19 PM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisducati

Doing this from memory, so I might be slightly off:
ZR1:1:32.46
McLaren: 1:29.78
Huracan:1:29.99
GT2RS:1:28.3
Dang the ZR1 is dog slow!
Old 09-19-2018, 05:24 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LEE427

Dang the ZR1 is dog slow!
Check out the Lightning Lap thread. Almost the complete opposite except for the GT2RS. Not sure why we are seeing such a disparity on lap times, comparatively, from different tracks and drivers. ZR1 was about 5 sec faster than when C&D tested the ACR.

Last edited by racerns; 09-19-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:36 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
Check out the Lightning Lap thread. Almost the complete opposite except for the GT2RS. Not sure why we are seeing such a disparity on lap times, comparatively, from different tracks and drivers. ZR1 was about 5 sec faster than when C&D tested the ACR.
My point also

Lightning lap two cars took the old ZR1 track record of 2.41, The ZR1 with 2.39.5, and GT2 RS 2.37.8...... And check out why... GT2 RS has the new cup2 R tire not available for anyone else right now .
720 S 2.44 :-)
Ford GT 2.45.5
Porsche GT3 2.47

So whats going on here ? ZR1 with cup2 R tires would match a GT2 RS... i think :-)
Old 09-19-2018, 05:44 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
My point also

Lightning lap two cars took the old ZR1 track record of 2.41, The ZR1 with 2.39.5, and GT2 RS 2.37.8...... And check out why... GT2 RS has the new cup2 R tire not available for anyone else right now .
Ford GT 2.45.5
Porsche GT3 2.47

So whats going on here ? ZR1 with cup2 R tires would match a GT2 RS... i think :-)
Actually the ZR1 has run a 2:37 at VIR with Mero at the wheel. The 720 did a 2:39 also, it was the Performante that did the 2:44.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:58 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

My point also

Ford GT 2.45.5
Porsche GT3 2.47

Full blown slicks would be lucky to drop 2 seconds from a Cup2. Cup2 is surprisingly close to a full slick (for one lap)
Old 09-19-2018, 06:06 PM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

The GT2RS and the ACR Viper are about equal at Laguna Seca. Would love to See both cars tested same day with Randy Pobst.

Last edited by LEE427; 09-19-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:20 PM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

The GT2RS and the ACR Viper are about equal at Laguna Seca. Would love to See both cars tested same day with Randy Pobst.
As much as I looove the ACR and own a Viper myself.
I'm a realist, you cannot compare magazine run times vs factory backed run times.
The ACR's 1:28 lap was done after using a truck load of Kumho tires, SRT team was there dialing that car in. I think any factory done time has to be taken with a grain of salt. Had Porsche done their own attempt with the GT2RS, I guarantee you it will run 1:27 or less. In fact, I believe Porsche is taking their modified 919 racecar to Laguna Seca (if they arent there already) and attempting a world record run. I bet it does it in under 1 minute. Judging from their Spa time taking the record from current F1 cars. And F1 recently taking the record back when they had a race there back in August.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:23 PM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by serpent
As much as I looove the ACR and own a Viper myself.
I'm a realist, you cannot compare magazine run times vs factory backed run times.
The ACR's 1:28 lap was done after using a truck load of Kumho tires, SRT team was there dialing that car in. I think any factory done time has to be taken with a grain of salt. Had Porsche done their own attempt with the GT2RS, I guarantee you it will run 1:27 or less. In fact, I believe Porsche is taking their modified 919 racecar to Laguna Seca (if they arent there already) and attempting a world record run. I bet it does it in under 1 minute. Judging from their Spa time taking the record from current F1 cars. And F1 recently taking the record back when they had a race there back in August.
The ACR lap record was also driven by Pobst though,
Old 09-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

A few comments,

I am surprised to see the ZR1 4 seconds back... and only a 1/2 second quicker than the Z06. That seems tough to believe. But it must be LS is more of a handling track... and VIR more of a HP track?

I do agree, ACR is one of the best track cars, bang for the buck... really sets the bar high for 'much newer' and higher HP cars to work at beating... I am impressed.

I think the ZR1 will be fine at wide open, higher speed tracks... if it's forced into the technical stuff... the ZR1's weight is going to hurt.

I am glad to see it represent at VIR so well!

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 09-19-2018, 07:20 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Guys guys guys...Keep in mind that Laguna Seca was originally designed to be a MOTORCYCLE track. The LONGEST running professional racing series on Laguna Seca is MOTOGP for a reason. Unlike your typical race track, Laguna Seca has little to no camber in a lot of its turns. In fact, for water run-off purposes a few turns actually have a slight positive camber in some of the turns.

Laguna rewards cars that are smaller (like motorcycles), nimble, with quick and easy rotation because more than 1/2 of the turns are the straight-line brake, turn, power out variety. Doesn't matter if your chassis has great balance or transfers weight side to side well, because there are no esses and complicated, complex combo turns except for 2. And of the 2 longest straights on the track, BOTH are uphill runs with one that goes up 3 stories before the corkscrew drop. So two things are king at Laguna: Horsepower, and the ability to lay it down. If what some of the article is saying is true, that the ZR1 struggles with wheel-spin coming out of turns, it's going to struggle at Laguna.

Which explains why the rear engine 911 is faster. But it doesn't explain 4 seconds faster. I mean, the gap between the ZR1 and the Grand Sport is 3 seconds and change, and there's a 300+ HP difference there.
The following users liked this post:
Telepierre (09-21-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 07:51 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,397 Likes on 1,000 Posts

My point also

Ford GT 2.45.5
Porsche GT3 2.47

uh... look up pictures of the cup2r . Its identical to the cup 2 zp.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:57 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
uh... look up pictures of the cup2r . Its identical to the cup 2 zp.
Tread pattern similarity does not mean it's the same tire. Runflat vs non Runflat is a big enough difference.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:01 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by The HACK
Guys guys guys...Keep in mind that Laguna Seca was originally designed to be a MOTORCYCLE track. The LONGEST running professional racing series on Laguna Seca is MOTOGP for a reason. Unlike your typical race track, Laguna Seca has little to no camber in a lot of its turns. In fact, for water run-off purposes a few turns actually have a slight positive camber in some of the turns.

Laguna rewards cars that are smaller (like motorcycles), nimble, with quick and easy rotation because more than 1/2 of the turns are the straight-line brake, turn, power out variety. Doesn't matter if your chassis has great balance or transfers weight side to side well, because there are no esses and complicated, complex combo turns except for 2. And of the 2 longest straights on the track, BOTH are uphill runs with one that goes up 3 stories before the corkscrew drop. So two things are king at Laguna: Horsepower, and the ability to lay it down. If what some of the article is saying is true, that the ZR1 struggles with wheel-spin coming out of turns, it's going to struggle at Laguna.

Which explains why the rear engine 911 is faster. But it doesn't explain 4 seconds faster. I mean, the gap between the ZR1 and the Grand Sport is 3 seconds and change, and there's a 300+ HP difference there.
The Porsche's smaller wheelbase and RWS will make it great in tight corners. The Porsche has almost 10 inches less wheelbase and the RWS will make it even quicker in tight rotation areas.

The ZR1 performed poorly, there is no other way to put it.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:10 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

The ACR lap record was also driven by Pobst though,
This is pure speculation but I think manufacturers give money for lap records. Either that or the factory test cars are that much better than the mag test cars (which usually have engineers following them around for tests).

Case 1
Remember when Randy drove the early Gen V Vipers and they were slower than the C6ZR1? The Viper boys pitched a fit, Ralph Giles himself called Randy scared. They then had a private test and Randy picked up almost 2 seconds in the same cars and beat the ZR1.

Case 2
In reverse order SRT had Randy test the ACR and set the lap record at Laguna of 1:28. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure he beat SRT hot shoe Chris Winkler there. But when he tested the car for the comparo, it only ran 1:30. That's a huge difference.

Case 3
Randy sets lap record driving the ZR1 for GM. But when driving for magazines (Laguna, Willow) he's relatively much slower.

Maybe Randy dials it back to set times more attainable by average Joe's unless put in kill mode by the manufacturer, but there is clearly something IMO.

That being said what would the GT2 RS do with some factory push from Porsche. That would be nuts if there is similarly more time in that thing.
​​

Last edited by heavychevy; 09-19-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:43 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
This is pure speculation but I think manufacturers give money for lap records. Either that or the factory test cars are that much better than the mag test cars (which usually have engineers following them around for tests).

Case 1
Remember when Randy drove the early Gen V Vipers and they were slower than the C6ZR1? The Viper boys pitched a fit, Ralph Giles himself called Randy scared. They then had a private test and Randy picked up almost 2 seconds in the same cars and beat the ZR1.

Case 2
In reverse order SRT had Randy test the ACR and set the lap record at Laguna of 1:28. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure he beat SRT hot shoe Chris Winkler there. But when he tested the car for the comparo, it only ran 1:30. That's a huge difference.

Case 3
Randy sets lap record driving the ZR1 for GM. But when driving for magazines (Laguna, Willow) he's relatively much slower.

Maybe Randy dials it back to set times more attainable by average Joe's unless put in kill mode by the manufacturer, but there is clearly something IMO.

That being said what would the GT2 RS do with some factory push from Porsche. That would be nuts if there is similarly more time in that thing.
​​
What other push do you want other than having two sets of tires? What if next time GM sends a set of GTLM slicks for the track and tell MT they can simply swap to the Cup 2s for the street?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:51 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,841 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Case 3

Maybe Randy dials it back to set times more attainable by average Joe's unless put in kill mode by the manufacturer, but there is clearly something IMO.​​
Or: Road Atlanta is a track that better plays to the ZR1's strengths, where the two out west do not? I'm not 100% sure of that, but I'll bet that has something to do with it.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test at Laguna Seca Part 2

Old 09-19-2018, 09:58 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lavender
What other push do you want other than having two sets of tires? What if next time GM sends a set of GTLM slicks for the track and tell MT they can simply swap to the Cup 2s for the street?
Per Shank, all of the cars had multiple sets of tires an engineers. Porsche just had faster ones. I'm thinking Randy on kill mode might be a bit faster. Say, if Porsche hired him for a private test. I get your jist, the tires have been secret sauce and by the time the public has them to evaluate and compare, the GT2 and GT3 RS's will have over performed in all the mag that tests. As of last I checked, owners can't even get the tires yet.

Tire tides change, it's part of the game. Porsche had fastest in the early 2000's wihh the first streetable factory rcomp cup tires. Then Nissan had some sneaky fast ones, then Corvette on the C6 ZR1 and Z07/Carbon, then Ferrari and Camaro with Trofeo R, then Viper with Khumo V720 and now Porsche again. It's cyclical. Someone will always have a tire advantage. I have no explanation for why they had two different sets of tires. But all the rumors point to these CupR being extremely fast. We know the Viper tires are Hoosier fast for sure, at least for a few laps. If it's faster than those, it says a lot.

Speaking of which, beating the ACR at VIR on lesser tires is quite an accomplishment. Not quite the drubbing Mero gave the Acr on the main course, but impressive nonetheless.

​​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​​​

​​​​​

​​​

Last edited by heavychevy; 09-19-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:00 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,397 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Tread pattern similarity does not mean it's the same tire. Runflat vs non Runflat is a big enough difference.
nowadays. Not really. With proper air pressure, the sidewalls on these tires are so stiff that the runflat portion of it doesnt matter. Theres a reason they look so damn similar, they are the same compound.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:03 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
nowadays. Not really. With proper air pressure, the sidewalls on these tires are so stiff that the runflat portion of it doesnt matter. Theres a reason they look so damn similar, they are the same compound.
No, they are not.

Last edited by heavychevy; 09-19-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Quick Reply: ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test at Laguna Seca Part 2