C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C7 ZR1 April Nurburgring Testing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 12:11 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Yeah, not much to take from that short blurb. I think ZR1 will have no problem dipping under 7 minutes considering its performance at VIR.
The following users liked this post:
RoketRdr (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 12:25 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_Z06

Looks mean as shyt tho... saw the Sebring Orange at BJPB over the weekend. This one was well-spec'd fully loaded with the kitchen sink.... 149k msrp I was told. Yikes.

There is something about a ZR1 vert. with that BIG A$$ rear wing that makes me laugh.
Exactly.... the track. Last I checked, the Nürburgring (Nordschleife) is a true race track. The holy grail of all tracks. And the ZR1 is supposed to be a bonafide track car first & foremost, but then again it's usual MO for the large majority is cars & coffee, etc. so I guess Ring times won't matter. Just sayin' the truth here...

Anyway, for what it spits out on paper I am honestly disappointed it didn't crack a sub-7 let alone low 7's.... it's still very fast but for the pricepoint it arguably makes the C7 Z06 a "better" deal.
How many threads/posts have you seen on this website concerning Ring times in the last 5 years?
Maybe it's time for folks to let it go and look for some other metric.
After all, GM doesn't seem to put much stock in it regarding the C7.

Last edited by sunsalem; 04-16-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Maybe it's time for folks to let it go and look for some other metric.
After all, GM doesn't seem to put much stock in it regarding the C7.
The rest of the automotive world does. It's the benchmark that all are measured by. If the C7 can't measure up, then GM needs to get back to the drawing board.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:44 PM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 328 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
Thanks for the info and I love B2G, but that "lap time" is absolutely meaningless. Still a pre-production model (no ZR1 badges on the hood and the driver's side front intake is missing one of the black accents) but I'm pretty sure these are still industry test days, which means this isn't when anyone is going to be going for THE run. 7:12 is still a good time for any mere mortal, though Jim Mero and the ZR1 are both capable of more.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:47 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
The rest of the automotive world does. It's the benchmark that all are measured by. If the C7 can't measure up, then GM needs to get back to the drawing board.
So if the C7 sets absolutely blazing times at every track but the Ring(which it has), then GM needs to redesign it? That’s silly.

What we do know:

The ZR1 is 2 seconds faster than the Z06 at VIR.
The Z06 ran a 7:14 at the Ring in a magazine test.
A bystander clocked a random ZR1 lap at 7:12.

That 2 second gap isn’t staying the same on both tracks.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:49 PM
D'ZR1 Messiah
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
There is something about a ZR1 vert. with that BIG A$$ rear wing that makes me laugh.
To each his own but I do think the big wing looks weird on verts. Looks really good on coupes though in my opinion.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:54 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kappa

So if the C7 sets absolutely blazing times at every track but the Ring(which it has), then GM needs to redesign it? That’s silly.

What we do know:

The ZR1 is 2 seconds faster than the Z06 at VIR.
The Z06 ran a 7:14 at the Ring in a magazine test.
A bystander clocked a random ZR1 lap at 7:12.

That 2 second gap isn’t staying the same on both tracks.
This is GM, the 2nd largest auto manufacturer in the world and the ZR1 is the crown jewel of GM's performance car line. The entire world watches the Ring times, and they are important. This is all about credibility. Is the ZR1 a true supercar or an almost supercar?

The Ring times are the benchmark of yes or no.
Rodbuster56 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 01:06 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

The entire world watches the Ring times, and they are important.
They really aren't. They are a nice bragging right, but they're not "important". The Corvette has been and still is (and likely will be for a very long time) the most successful selling sports/GT car in the world. That's what "the entire world" should be watching.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:19 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Anyway, for what it spits out on paper I am honestly disappointed it didn't crack a sub-7 let alone low 7's.... it's still very fast but for the pricepoint it arguably makes the C7 Z06 a "better" deal.
Believing that the 7:12 time is the best it is going to do is the same as those that are disappointed in the very first 1/4 times that have been reported. You have no idea what the conditions or the purpose of that lap was.

Last edited by racerns; 04-16-2018 at 01:25 PM.
RoketRdr (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 01:20 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

maybe they should have gotten the z06 magazine driver . seriously it doesn't sound right. Gotta be more than 2 seconds faster than the z06
Old 04-16-2018, 01:25 PM
the professor
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Unbelievable how fast cars are right now. R&T is reporting that Porsche was able to get in three fast laps with the new GT3 RS with the Weissach Package recently. No official announcement yet but a "source" positioned at the start/finish clocked all three laps under 7 mins with a best of 6:56 (about a second faster than the 918 Spyder!). Extremely impressive for a 520 horsepower RWD car!
GM has been really hard to beat at the track for about a decade now, I don't see any way that the ZR1 won't be faster than the GT3 RS but we will have to wait and see, there is some serious competition out there!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
They really aren't. They are a nice bragging right, but they're not "important". The Corvette has been and still is (and likely will be for a very long time) the most successful selling sports/GT car in the world. That's what "the entire world" should be watching.

If the ring times aren't that important, then manufacturers wouldn't be going there and spending all the time and money they do. As for the Corvette being the most successful sports car in the world, I have my doubts. Mercedes and Porsche are monsters all over the world and the corvette isn't. We see only our piece of the pie.
Rodbuster56 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 01:48 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
Believing that the 7:12 time is the best it is going to do is the same as those that are disappointed in the very first 1/4 times that have been reported. You have no idea what the conditions or the purpose of that lap was.
I don't believe it's the best... never even claimed it would be. But I do believe it severely underperformed for what it's supposed to be.

Heck I at least would think that it will crack the Viper ACR-E's fastest laptime of 7:01.... when the non-manufacturer-funded SRT team first tried they achieved low 7's... like 7:03 iirc.

So my initial thoughts were that the new ZR1 should at least have dived well into the low 7's.... yes we have no ides what the conidtions where, etc. and yes we will see in further tests since they're all still planing to run again at the Ring soon (GM, Porsche, AMG, etc...).
Old 04-16-2018, 02:45 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

If the ring times aren't that important, then manufacturers wouldn't be going there and spending all the time and money they do. As for the Corvette being the most successful sports car in the world, I have my doubts. Mercedes and Porsche are monsters all over the world and the corvette isn't. We see only our piece of the pie.
The Corvette is top sports car sold in the US by a long way!

All over the world? Which to me couldn't matter less! Since I only see "my piece of the pie" the rest of it couldn't matter less ESP what Porsche or Mercedes is doing. Not important to most any Corvette drivers.
Pretty sure more Corvette's are sold here in the USA than the P and M cars combined. The USA and North America is by far the best roads and the best place to drive in the whole world for sure! Do I really care what the P and M cars are doing! NOPE! Will my Corvette smoke them on highway runs! Yes!
Old 04-16-2018, 02:54 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Will my Corvette smoke them on highway runs! Yes!
Be real careful making any bets with Porsche or Mercedes pilots. The Mercedes SL55 AMG was breaking 200 MPH 10 years ago!!!!

Old 04-16-2018, 02:57 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Truth!
Old 04-16-2018, 03:03 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Don't tell me manufactures don't care about ring time. If and when GM gets a ring time they will let us know trust me they will be throwing that **** around in everyone's face like dollar bills getting jammed down girl's thongs at a strip joint.

Last edited by Chicago1; 04-16-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Mcrider (04-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 ZR1 April Nurburgring Testing

Old 04-16-2018, 03:04 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 881 Likes on 451 Posts

Incoming **** storm. Let's wait and see how "official" this is. GM always produces PDR or cabin footage to back up their times.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:40 PM
Rob P
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they don't end up with a sub 7 min ring time, it will be an absolute disappointment. I don't give much credit to todays news as there is nothing official there. It seems we may see some official times within the next few weeks from GM. They will have the in car video footage to back their claims.

I have one on order, I didn't expect them to beat the gt2rs but I would like to see them ahead of the gt3rs to say the least.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:52 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

When a debate over the importance of ring times comes up emotions rise proving that yes it IS important to at least anyone who comments. We all have a sense of pride and ownership in Corvette and that's a primary reason we visit this forum and post. I'm not saying a sub 7 time = XX% more sales, merely stating that pride of ownership influences emotions and perceptions which influence purchases. Obviously GM recognizes this point otherwise they would not publish official in-car videos showcasing stellar lap times indicative of their engineering accomplishments. All automobile magazines whether print or online reference "ring times" as a point of comparison so saying ring time are meaningless is a gross overstatement of personal opinion disregarding how the majority views this.

That being said, no way 7.12 representative of 2019 ZR1 best lap capability. Was the driver named in the article? I think GM is setting the stage for what will be a low to sub 7 lap. If not....it is what it is and my sense of pride in Corvette will not be diminished and I'll still read and post on Corvette Forum, life goes on.
The following 2 users liked this post by NemesisC5:
RoketRdr (04-16-2018), Xanthophyll (04-16-2018)

Quick Reply: C7 ZR1 April Nurburgring Testing