C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Dubai International Auto Show ZR1 Reveal

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I suspect that it is a functional wing for a track car. Being functional the last place you would want it is on the deck lid. The deck lid isn't a good support for something that will have several hundred pounds of down force on it along with what ever lateral forces the base of the wing experience. They need it tied to the frame. The best way to do that is through supports that go down to the frame through the fascia. From the spy pics there are definitely two size wings probably chosen based on usage. The car may come with directions to remove the wing when driving on the street. That would help them with EPA MPG regulations since they can do their certification tests without the wing.

Bill
Good point!
Old 11-05-2017, 01:46 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
And this could be for another car.
It doesn't make sense to mount a wing that tall in the spot between you and the space your roof needs to be stowed (we've seen them with the top out). Why wouldn't it be a few inches forward, mounted on the deck lid, so it'd be up and out of the way when you wanted access to the rear?
...Unless it's movable and can be lowered.
Perhaps the roof is fixed and does not remove...like the C6 ZR1. Doubtful though. The roof is super light and, as such, I am sure it would not involve much more effort snapping it into place while standing at the side of the rear quarter-panel

Last edited by Paulchristian; 11-05-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy

Originally Posted by TripleBlack99
It says "ZR1" on the wheels.
One might say that GM is doing misdirection there, but they generally are not that tricky.
GM has learned a lot over the past 10 years. They fooled everyone with the C7 mule which was hidden in a C6 body. The NCM has one of these mules on display.

Name:  61447872-D54E-4840-8B2F-3EFC17FDD1D3.jpeg
Views: 879
Size:  28.5 KB
Name:  788E5009-AA29-47E6-A0A6-1117D754916B.jpeg
Views: 889
Size:  815.6 KB

Could they do something similar with the C7 body? Absolutely! Especially if the power plants are interchangeable. Test the DOHC LT5 and it’s performance in the real world in a C7 body.

I wouldn’t put it past them!

Name:  025AADA9-E8CA-4CBD-ADA4-B546F58B37B6.jpeg
Views: 873
Size:  797.5 KB

Last edited by Nate@VanBortelChevy; 11-05-2017 at 04:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (11-07-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 03:57 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Perhaps the roof is fixed and does not remove...like the C6 ZR1.
I think this is the most likely explanation.
Remember the primary purpose of this car is track work.
A fixed roof adds rigidity to the car's structure...exactly what you want for a car like this.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I think this is the most likely explanation.
Remember the primary purpose of this car is track work.
A fixed roof adds rigidity to the car's structure...exactly what you want for a car like this.
I think they would have done the same for the Z06. There have been camouflaged “ZR1” (FE) convertibles in spy shots.

The C7 structure was designed as an open cockpit. According to GM, the coupe or convertible is equally as rigid, top on, off, down, or up.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:48 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Been seen with roof off.

The following 2 users liked this post by MikeG37:
DebRedZR1 (11-07-2017), dvilin (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 04:55 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Well...there ya go.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:03 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
I think they would have done the same for the Z06. There have been camouflaged “ZR1” (FE) convertibles in spy shots.

The C7 structure was designed as an open cockpit. According to GM, the coupe or convertible is equally as rigid, top on, off, down, or up.
nate, thank you for starting this most interesting thread.

considering the information floating around a couple of weeks ago, i was hoping that the m/e was going to be revealed at detroit in january, but since then i have read more info and would be highly surprised if that happened. since the zr1 project has to have had a lead time of a few years, gm would most likely go ahead with it even if they don't expect great sales. i'm guessing dubai will be the zr1, maybe with a 32 valve dohc and other goodies.

it's great to know that there is someone like you, van bortel and your dealership. if gm were smart, they would educate their other corvette dealers in your methods and avoid the horror stories that some owners have had to go through with warranty problems that never got resolved.

thanks again for generating this discussion.

Last edited by senah; 11-06-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:50 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I suspect that it is a functional wing for a track car. Being functional the last place you would want it is on the deck lid. The deck lid isn't a good support for something that will have several hundred pounds of down force on it along with what ever lateral forces the base of the wing experience. They need it tied to the frame. The best way to do that is through supports that go down to the frame through the fascia. From the spy pics there are definitely two size wings probably chosen based on usage. The car may come with directions to remove the wing when driving on the street. That would help them with EPA MPG regulations since they can do their certification tests without the wing.

Bill
as far as function.

The ACR's wing is mounted to its rear deck lid by necessity.. really no other choice based on its design, and it's out of the way if you wanna throw something in the trunk. But if GM wants to market this car to more than a couple hundred people that'll only use it as a track car it'll have to have a little practicality. And what's been seen on the camo'd cars wouldn't be very practical.
mbsnmisc (11-12-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 02:05 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy

Originally Posted by senah
nate, thank you for starting this most interesting thread.

considering the information floating around a couple of weeks ago, i was hoping that the m/e was going to be revealed at detroit in january, but since then i have read more info and would be highly surprised if that happened. since the zr1 project has to have had a lead time of a few years, gm would most likely go ahead with it even if they don't expect great sales. i'm guessing dubai will be the zr1, maybe with a 32 valve dohc and other goodies.

it's great to know that there is someone like you, van bortel and your dealership. if gm were smart, they would educate their other corvette dealers in your methods and avoid the horror stories that some owners have had to go through with warranty problems that never got resolved.

thanks again for generating this discussion.
Thank you! There are some great points in this thread made by all. Bottom line is, whether it's ME or FE, we all win!
Old 11-06-2017, 02:46 PM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

I saw this thread and was surprised to see that there was confusion as to whether the ZR1 would be a FE or ME platform.

With all of the detailed images of developed bodywork and wing options (not to the mention the new wheel design with cast ZR1 logos), plus all the testing, it is difficult to imagine the ZR1 being anything other the super Z06 it almost certainly is.

However, when I looked at the Dubai Motor Show website, there are a number of references to "ME" vehicle debuts. I got all excited until I realized that they meant "Middle Eastern".

Perhaps this is where the confusion started?....

Last edited by tomlink; 11-06-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:48 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

As the ME Corvette truly approaches being production ready, I think that GM's Marketing Team is going to want to use all of their resources to build excitement and anticipation for such a revolutionary achievement in the history of Corvette.

That said... think of all the resources (videos/teasers, website, countdown, etc) they put into the C7 launch. And quite honestly, the C7 doesn't compare to the type of revolutionary step that an ME Corvette would represent.

So don't plan on a ME reveal until we start seeing official teasers from GM. Then plan on several months beyond that. Unfortunately, that probably means a reveal of a ME Corvette doesn't happen until mid/late 2018, or early 2019 at best... heck it could stretch out to 2020 too.

The ZR1 is different story all together. Being that it's "basically" an iteration of the current C7, it could/should be revealed much sooner.

Last edited by FrankLP; 11-07-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy

Originally Posted by tomlink
I saw this thread and was surprised to see that there was confusion as to whether the ZR1 would be a FE or ME platform.

With all of the detailed images of developed bodywork and wing options (not to the mention the new wheel design with cast ZR1 logos), plus all the testing, it is difficult to imagine the ZR1 being anything other the super Z06 it almost certainly is.

However, when I looked at the Dubai Motor Show website, there are a number of references to "ME" vehicle debuts. I got all excited until I realized that they meant "Middle Eastern".

Perhaps this is where the confusion started?....
LOL! That's funny, ME= Middle Eastern.

It all started with someone much closer to GM than I am gave me a heads-up that what they believe to be the ME (Mid-Engine) Corvette is going to be revealed at the upcoming Dubai Motor Show.

Originally Posted by FrankLP
As the ME Corvette truly approaches being production ready, I think that GM's Marketing Team is going to want to use all of their resources to build excitement and anticipation for such a revolutionary achievement in the history of Corvette.

That said... think of all the resources (videos/teasers, website, countdown, etc) they put into the C7 launch. And quite honestly, the C7 doesn't compare to the type of revolutionary step that an ME Corvette would represent.

So don't plan on a ME reveal until we start seeing official teasers from GM. Then plan on several months beyond that. Unfortunately, that probably means a reveal of a ME Corvette doesn't happen until mid/late 2018, or early 2019 at best... heck it stretch out to 2020 too.

The ZR1 is different story all together. Being that it's "basically" an iteration of the current C7, it could/should be revealed much sooner.

There is going to be a reveal prior to the release of the model year 2019 ordering guide (releases Nov 20). If it's not the ME, and a FE ZR1, we're only a couple weeks away from the release of the ordering guide, wouldn't GM have used their resource to build excitement (like you are saying)?

Or have they been all along, knowing that people will take pictures and speculate every time a camouflaged Corvette is out in the public? Wouldn't a big surprise at an international auto-show, be a good way to gain awareness? It would also be a good way to boost interest in the LA Auto Show and then ultimately the Detroit Auto Show.

We're all watching like a hawk, that's for sure!
Old 11-07-2017, 07:58 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

May be there will be a ME Corvette revealed at the show. Designed specifically for the ME region. Armored underbelly ........... ;>)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:26 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,627 Likes on 1,746 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Next week we will know............. Now what is rolling down the production lines in Bowling Green
Old 11-07-2017, 08:31 AM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,531 Likes on 2,323 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

But why wait until next week when I can with confidence say that the ME is not being revealed next week.
The following 2 users liked this post by E.T.D. Corvettes:
elegant (11-07-2017), JimNeedsC7 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:37 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
But why wait until next week when I can with confidence say that the ME is not being revealed next week.
Very True, Next week we will know about the ZR , how's that
E.T.D. Corvettes (11-07-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Dubai International Auto Show ZR1 Reveal

Old 11-07-2017, 08:57 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Default A

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Very True, Next week we will know about the ZR , how's that
Followed by all the post complaining about the price, looks, options, lack of certain features, etc. etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by dvilin:
JimNeedsC7 (11-07-2017), sunsalem (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:26 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
LOL! That's funny, ME= Middle Eastern.

It all started with someone much closer to GM than I am gave me a heads-up that what they believe to be the ME (Mid-Engine) Corvette is going to be revealed at the upcoming Dubai Motor Show.

There is going to be a reveal prior to the release of the model year 2019 ordering guide (releases Nov 20). If it's not the ME, and a FE ZR1, we're only a couple weeks away from the release of the ordering guide, wouldn't GM have used their resource to build excitement (like you are saying)?

Or have they been all along, knowing that people will take pictures and speculate every time a camouflaged Corvette is out in the public? Wouldn't a big surprise at an international auto-show, be a good way to gain awareness? It would also be a good way to boost interest in the LA Auto Show and then ultimately the Detroit Auto Show.

We're all watching like a hawk, that's for sure!
You may be right.... but I just look at how GM actually unveiled the C7. After the Marketing campaign of numerous highly produced video teasers, the actual reveal was right there in their own back yard at the Russell Industrial Center with just a "select" few in attendance.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/01/...sunday-reveal/

Now... maybe GM totally scraps that approach. One could say that going "simple" could accentuate and focus attention on just the ME Corvette itself. Use the camo'ed cars for the anticipation... ditch all the hype... plus, the simple approach would be much more budget friendly (if that's even a consideration in GM's Marketing world).

Or... maybe GM really builds/hypes this up... telling the story of the first concepts of a ME Corvette so many moons ago. Educating new and/or would be enthusiasts on the legendary visions, rumors of the next Corvette being a ME, and the subsequent "let downs" when it was not. And the unveiling may be a total surprise... in this day and age of Social Media who knows where, when or how their Marketing Team might want to demonstrate revolutionary innovation for the Corvette.

But I agree with you 100%... We're all watching like a hawk, that's for sure! Indeed... it's a VERY exciting time for Corvette!!

Last edited by FrankLP; 11-07-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:30 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by dvilin
Followed by all the post complaining about the price, looks, options, lack of certain features, etc. etc.
OMG LOL so on point....
JimNeedsC7 (11-07-2017)

Quick Reply: Dubai International Auto Show ZR1 Reveal