C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 Usable Power

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 02:22 PM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Received 138 Likes on 76 Posts

I put the continental extreme contacts on my C7 Z06 and it's like I got a new car! No more ice skates,and the car is so much easier to drive.
The following users liked this post:
Torque Obsessed (01-11-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 08:06 PM
Z06Farmer
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

It’s always easier to drive a slow car fast vs driving a fast car fast. It doesn’t matter if it’s a 650hp corvette Camaro hellcat or mustang. If you stab it off the line well you can’t argue with physics and torque your tires will spin and that applies to any high hp rwd car.
Old 01-10-2024, 08:42 PM
hiltsy855
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by HT1663WB
I put the continental extreme contacts on my C7 Z06 and it's like I got a new car! No more ice skates,and the car is so much easier to drive.
What tires did you have before and how is the ride now?
Old 01-11-2024, 12:57 PM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

I had the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The Continental's are not run flats so the ride is softened a bit and the car feels more planted. Road noise is pretty much gone. I'm sure on a hot day on a track the Michelin's would be better but for spirited street driving and the occasional light to light in Mexico, I prefer the Continental. My Z06 is putting down just over 600 to the wheels and these tires handle it pretty well.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:05 PM
hiltsy855
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Did you get the Conti Sport 02 or the DWS 06 Plus?
HT1663WB (01-12-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 09:55 PM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
Did you get the Conti Sport 02 or the DWS 06 Plus?
I went with the EXTREME-CONTACT DWS 06 PLUS XL.
The following 2 users liked this post by HT1663WB:
c6txvette (01-11-2024), hiltsy855 (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 10:38 PM
c6txvette
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by HT1663WB
I went with the EXTREME-CONTACT DWS 06 PLUS XL.
same here! I run these on my 640 rwhp C7Z and I have no issues doing 50 rolls with traction only off.
HT1663WB (01-12-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 08:11 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The sweet spot isn't found by dropping the hammer. The engine has a tremendous amount of low-speed torque so when you drop the hammer the torque rips the tires loose. You have to ease into it not hammer it. At 1000 rpm and WOT the engine produces ~440 lb-ft of torque under full load. That is more torque than most cars have as peak torque several thousand rpm higher. At 3600 rpm at WOT and full load, the engine is producing 650 lb-ft of torque. Don't go wide open right away, get the car rolling and increase throttle quickly as speed increases reaching wide open within 100 ft of starting. The tires will still slip some but the car will accelerate hard.

Here is a video from 7 years ago where I was trying to practice what I preached. The event is an autocross on a Go Kart Track in upstate NY. The car was completely stock at the time except for a set of Hoosier R7 road race tires as I just stopped by the autocross on my way to the Glen. This was a fun run and my last run of the day with my best being 1 second faster than the next fastest car. Notice I make the run in low gear, hit about 67 mph on one straight and use WOT several times without slipsliding around. Starts were difficult since the start was downhill so I had to hold the brake to keep from drifting through the starting light. As soon as I took my foot off the brake the car would start to roll forward so I didn't have much time to rev the engine before I let out the clutch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukobIba3zUw

The Z06 is perfectly manageable if you drive it properly. The chassis, suspension and brakes do a great job if you set the car up before starting. You have to set the drive mode using the dial on the center console and if you are going to go around corners fast then you need to turn the ****, then push the center button twice followed by changing the DIC read out from Wet to Sport 1 and then removing the hand from the control and not touching it again. If the pavement is wet and slick then use Wet Mode as that will try and keep you out of the toolies.

Bill
once my intercooler was properly bled. The thing is a beast. Short shift first gear in my m7 at 35mph with modest throttle then roll in the throttle in 2nd. There ain't much that will catch you.

i dont like shocking the drivetrain on 0-60 and won't every do that. With the dash timer set to a 5mph to 60mph increment it will get under 3 seconds easing into the gas staying in first through 60 from 5mph

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 01-14-2024 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:40 PM
Firulice
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by c6txvette
same here! I run these on my 640 rwhp C7Z and I have no issues doing 50 rolls with traction only off.
like both of you I went with this tire and it makes the car so much better in the spring and fall. I have my oem setup for hot summer months but the DWS06s are great tires and make the car grip better on cooler roads and sound and feel better. I'm certainly a fan. 19 M7 685rwhp toy.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:06 AM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

Tires, weather and temps make the car usable or not. Perspective also has to change too, the idea that to use all the power means 100% throttle all the time isn't always the case. On a hot summer day, I can floor my Z06 from a light and the car will go straight regardless of traction. The computer simply messes with the throttle and power output for me and the car out accelerates majority of street cars on the road in that situation. I have my alignment dialed in perfectly for this to be possible, the factory alignment cannot be trusted to be correct. A mismatch on the caster or toe on the rear and the computer will not be able to compensate for power being directed in 2 different directions for long and the car will pull hard to the side even with the nannies on. Of the 2 c7 z06's I've owned, both the factory rears had mismatched casters and 1 setup had toe in on 1 side and toe out on the other on top of that. That particular Z06 was terrifying from a dig as it would break loose hard to the driver's side every time I punched it, like you got hit in the rear passenger quarter before the computer cut all power to prevent the spin out.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:34 AM
XXXX
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SladeX
Tires, weather and temps make the car usable or not. Perspective also has to change too, the idea that to use all the power means 100% throttle all the time isn't always the case. On a hot summer day, I can floor my Z06 from a light and the car will go straight regardless of traction. The computer simply messes with the throttle and power output for me and the car out accelerates majority of street cars on the road in that situation. I have my alignment dialed in perfectly for this to be possible, the factory alignment cannot be trusted to be correct. A mismatch on the caster or toe on the rear and the computer will not be able to compensate for power being directed in 2 different directions for long and the car will pull hard to the side even with the nannies on. Of the 2 c7 z06's I've owned, both the factory rears had mismatched casters and 1 setup had toe in on 1 side and toe out on the other on top of that. That particular Z06 was terrifying from a dig as it would break loose hard to the driver's side every time I punched it, like you got hit in the rear passenger quarter before the computer cut all power to prevent the spin out.
Would love to know your alignment specs!
Old 01-17-2024, 01:16 PM
-ZEEOHSIX-
Burning Brakes

Received 540 Likes on 285 Posts

When I had my Z06, it initially frustrated me because of the poor traction characteristics. Once I switched up to using a DSC Sport, their alignment specs, and a good set of tires, I was able to drop the hammer very reliably at 40mph with around 630whp and 700+wtq. Now, with that being said, I still found the power delivery to be somewhat inconsistent if the road conditions were anything other than perfect. While I agree that the power needs to be respected, it has a lot to do with the platform, too; which ultimately led to me selling my Z06 and getting an AWD car. Now, even if the road conditions are poor, I'll still run a low 9-second quarter mile at over 150mph on the street with a rods/pistons/bolt on car--reliably. Sometimes you just want to be able to enjoy the power when you want to enjoy it and not have to wait for the perfect moment or the need to do a burnout.

Good luck.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:38 PM
The_IT_assassin
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by -ZEEOHSIX-
When I had my Z06, it initially frustrated me because of the poor traction characteristics. Once I switched up to using a DSC Sport, their alignment specs, and a good set of tires, I was able to drop the hammer very reliably at 40mph with around 630whp and 700+wtq. Now, with that being said, I still found the power delivery to be somewhat inconsistent if the road conditions were anything other than perfect. While I agree that the power needs to be respected, it has a lot to do with the platform, too; which ultimately led to me selling my Z06 and getting an AWD car. Now, even if the road conditions are poor, I'll still run a low 9-second quarter mile at over 150mph on the street with a rods/pistons/bolt on car--reliably. Sometimes you just want to be able to enjoy the power when you want to enjoy it and not have to wait for the perfect moment or the need to do a burnout.

Good luck.

what car did you move to?

Old 02-06-2024, 10:25 PM
Scottlp
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by -ZEEOHSIX-

Good luck.
Is the DSC that good? Stock was fine with a good tire but at 700whp I have to make sure the tires are warmed up first. I like the idea of awd but love driving the manual with all that power at the rear wheels.
I guess at 800whp I'll need a bigger tire.

Quick Reply: Z06 Usable Power