C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Spooky handling on wet roads; PS All Season 4ZP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 12:04 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by jwcfbd
not being an alignment tech I don't know how critical the mismatch left to right is as they are all in the green but you would think they would have been closer. Like Bill said wet smooth concrete is the worse. Here's my last alignment for reference and your numbers are pretty close to mine.
The huge issue in my case was the toe-out (positive) on the rear end, both total and especially the right rear. Look at the toe values on your car (individual sides and total at the bottom) then look at what I was at. The squirrely handling that felt like the car was trying to spin out (oversteer) was why I immediately thought of alignment, but since I just had an alignment done last spring I was trying to figure out if there was some sort of failure that could cause it.

Zero or slight toe-out on the rear end traditionally will make the car feel like it is wandering and will allow for oversteer more readily, but this was scary/nuts to me anyway. Was VERY surprised at how far out of whack the rear alignment was and now makes sense. I would speculate that any more toe out and the car would have been completely undrivable.

Allen
The following users liked this post:
jwcfbd (01-04-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 03:48 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Just to clarify, positive toe is toe in, or towards the center of the car. Negative toe is toe out, or away from the center of the car.

Your car was wildly toed in prior to the most recent alignment. I believe your rear end wet weather traction issues were the result of too much total toe, as the tires were scrubbing trying to steer into each other, reducing overall grip.

It also appears that your steering wheel may not have been straight on the alignment rack, or the car may pull to the left when the wheel is straight, as your front left is toed out, or away from the car to the left, and your front right is toed in, or towards the car to the left.

Last edited by 4GS7; 01-06-2024 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Spooky handling on wet roads; PS All Season 4ZP?