C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Help - P304 Misfire Oil on Plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 01:23 AM
Rnalecz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help - P304 Misfire Oil on Plug

Hi all,

I have a 2016 C7 Z06 with 26k miles on it with an intake and exhaust. When I first start the car when it is cold after 5 seconds stabitrak, service rear axle, and engine light starts flashing. I receive a pending P0304 misfire on cylinder 4. I read all the forums and first I tried to charge the battery and start the car, I then replaced the battery and removed, lubed, and reinstalled cylinder 4 spark wire. Once I cleared the code the car continues to drive fine and strong, until I do a cold start again I get the codes. I then replaced cylinder 4 spark wire with a new plug. Continuing, I then pulled the plug and found oil. See pictures below. I also pulled cylinder 1 to compare, which did not have any oil on the threads. I replaced the plug and the car was fine for 4 cold starts. 5th start everything came back. I have not pulled the plug yet, but I am assuming it probably has oil all over it. Checking on here to see if anyone has any suggestions or guesses?

I still have my extended warranty, but I worry bringing the car to the dealer with an intake and exhaust as they would love to blame everything on that and void the warranty. Would I have better luck with MTI Racing in Atlanta that specializes on Corvettes, but they are very pricy.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:45 PM
Track
Pro

Received 275 Likes on 194 Posts

Your looking at unburned fuel. I would replace the coil next. Most of the time misfires in modern cars are caused by a bad coil.
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (09-20-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 07:06 PM
charliebrown266
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 109 Posts

Before changing the coil i would check the wire on the other end under the coil cover i was having problems with mine and the ign wire was not fully seated on the coil
Old 01-09-2024, 09:14 PM
Propaintball96
Cruising

Originally Posted by charliebrown266
Before changing the coil i would check the wire on the other end under the coil cover i was having problems with mine and the ign wire was not fully seated on the coil
Did you figure this issue out? I literally have the exact same issue, same year and model.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:49 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Default Z06

Originally Posted by Propaintball96
Did you figure this issue out? I literally have the exact same issue, same year and model.
I've had the same thing happen twice on my 16 Z06, both times it was the alternator.. It was over-charging..
I've also had a coil to go out. It just skipped.. Good point about those.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:10 PM
Propaintball96
Cruising

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
I've had the same thing happen twice on my 16 Z06, both times it was the alternator.. It was over-charging..
I've also had a coil to go out. It just skipped.. Good point about those.
How would over charging cause a misfire and oil on plug? That seems odd

Get notified of new replies

To Help - P304 Misfire Oil on Plug

Quick Reply: Help - P304 Misfire Oil on Plug