C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Issue bleeding supercharger cooling circuit

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 10:17 AM
Trooper17
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Issue bleeding supercharger cooling circuit

I recently installed a cordes heat exchanger, their underhood tank and an emp pump utilizing an fitting adapters at the supercharger and tank. I have a 1 inch feed to the pump and 3/4 hose up to the supercharger. I used a cooler bleeder to bleed the system. It worked perfectly, I got all the air out the system. I finally got a chance to take a long drive in the car. When I got home I noticed there was some air in the tank in the bumper. I figured no big deal as maybe some residual air had dislodged from going through a heat cycle and driving. Hooked up the cooler bleeder and now all im pulling out is ridiculous amounts of air. I ran it for 15 minutes straight and it never got any better. The cooler bleeder normally gets down to almost 30inches of vacuum and now im getting 25. Clearly its pulling air from the outside through something. The issue is there is no coolant leaking from anywhere. Is it possible for AN fittings not to be air tight but not leak coolant. Its also strange that is it was all previously air tight that it would develop a leak.
Old 07-25-2023, 12:57 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I would suggest gently pressurizing the unit with a couple psi of air and check where the leak may be.
Old 07-25-2023, 02:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Have you tried to tighten the AN fittings to see if the vacuum leak stops? Also, check the intercooler fill port to make sure it is sealed properly.

Bill
Old 07-25-2023, 02:58 PM
RonnieLS1
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Trooper17
I recently installed a cordes heat exchanger, their underhood tank and an emp pump utilizing an fitting adapters at the supercharger and tank. I have a 1 inch feed to the pump and 3/4 hose up to the supercharger. I used a cooler bleeder to bleed the system. It worked perfectly, I got all the air out the system. I finally got a chance to take a long drive in the car. When I got home I noticed there was some air in the tank in the bumper. I figured no big deal as maybe some residual air had dislodged from going through a heat cycle and driving. Hooked up the cooler bleeder and now all im pulling out is ridiculous amounts of air. I ran it for 15 minutes straight and it never got any better. The cooler bleeder normally gets down to almost 30inches of vacuum and now im getting 25. Clearly its pulling air from the outside through something. The issue is there is no coolant leaking from anywhere. Is it possible for AN fittings not to be air tight but not leak coolant. Its also strange that is it was all previously air tight that it would develop a leak.
E-mail / message Jared and he will help you.
Old 07-25-2023, 03:58 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

The CAC operates under little to no pressure, so its possible that you have an air leak but not actually seeing coolant leaking out. There's also the possibility that the coolant is leaking internally inside the blower, where you wouldn't see it.

I would start with double checking all the AN fittings making sure they are tightly seated and snug, including the fittings on The Cooler Bleeder. Make sure your Cooler Bleeder gauge reads "0" when starting the bleed, if it doesn't, follow the calibration instructions. After doing both of those, if you are still unable to pull a strong vacuum, then you will need to pressure test the system as stated above. This will amplify any leak that's present and allow you to see where its leaking from. We do have a pressure test gauge that hooks in to your existing Cooler Bleeder fittings for this purpose, or you can cobble something together on your own. Regardless, add pressure SLOWLY and don't go above 15psi. Let it sit under that pressure for a while and monitor the pressure and check for dripping/puddling.

-Jared
The following 2 users liked this post by atljar:
Torque Obsessed (07-25-2023), Trooper17 (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 10:24 PM
Trooper17
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don’t think the bricks are the culprit because the coolant that comes out of them goes into the cordes tank. So any air that comes out the bricks would go into the tank and can’t make it’s way down into the heat exchanger and then collect in the bumper tank.
Old 07-26-2023, 03:11 PM
9sec
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Trooper17
I don’t think the bricks are the culprit because the coolant that comes out of them goes into the cordes tank. So any air that comes out the bricks would go into the tank and can’t make its way down into the heat exchanger and then collect in the bumper tank.
the air could be going into the blower as well as some coolant . need to remove the lid and see what it looks like underneath
Old 07-26-2023, 03:24 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Sounds like an air leak. Recheck everything. I had a similar issue but not as bad. Rechecked everything and tried again and Wellah!

Ron

Get notified of new replies

To Issue bleeding supercharger cooling circuit

Quick Reply: Issue bleeding supercharger cooling circuit