C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

New z06 owner. Need some confirmation help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 10:50 PM
Idea
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New z06 owner. Need some confirmation help

Hello
I tried doing my own research and was slightly confused as I was getting different answers. I purchased a 2019 z06 right before the pandemic hit(thank god) and dealer stated it was a z07 package. And other than a K&N intake the car I think is stock. No real way to check if it’s been tuned or not. I don’t plan on seeking any more power than it already does. Coming from mainly import cars and some German, this is my first American high performance v8. So for now she has more than enough power for me. Haha.

I haven’t driven any other z06’s as this was kind of love at first sight kind of deal. Do all z06’s make the supercharger whine?? Or is this just because of the K&N intake installed by previous owner?? I can hear mine when really pushing the car. Also is a tune necessary for the intake?? I’ll include some pics maybe some of the experts can help determine if it really is a z07 package. I was always under the impression that the z07 package had Carbon Ceramic Brakes?? Which is kind of the reason why I really liked this car because it had the looks, but didn’t have Carbon Ceramics. From reviews it seems unless I’m tracking the car, Carbon Ceramics are more of a hassle on a street car, and stupid expensive while not benefiting from actually having Carbon Ceramics while driving on public roads. I think the only other mod I’d like to do for now is maybe a cat back? Although I do really like the stealth mode for the sake of my neighbors lmao. Do these cars see a lot of benefit from E85?? If they do, that is also another thing I maybe interested in the future.

but enough talk. Here she is!! Allegedly less than 300 were made in 2019 in this spec. Which I always thought was something the salesman told me to try and sell the car. I would assume most specs for whatever year are low volume since it’s low volume car for Chevy. It’s not like the Corvette does Silverado numbers. 😂 but seems well spec’d z06’s are holding value pretty well??

It saying Carbon just means the center cap is carbon fiber right?? Because I don’t see carbon ceramic brakes nor do I see CF wheels. LOL
Old 07-24-2023, 03:16 AM
Shokwav
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 118 Posts

Definitely not a zo7 car. And I think those center caps are from the carbon 65 edition. In any case that’s a sweet ride. Where in WA are you? I’m in Everett
The following users liked this post:
NortonCO (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 04:20 AM
Gixxerman

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,135 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Congratz on the sweet C7. Unless previous owner converted to steel, not a Z07 car.. but easily verified with your vin. I will say if you just street Carbon Ceramic brakes.. they will last the life of the car easily. Only thing you have to be careful of is chipping them when you take off wheels. But easily done if your careful. I have GoJak's and long Stainless Studs to do if safely and quickly

The following 3 users liked this post by Gixxerman:
kdochert (07-24-2023), NortonCO (07-24-2023), Torque Obsessed (07-25-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 05:25 AM
cheetah45
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

RPO codes label is under the rear cargo area mat on the passenger side. Look for Z07…if it’s listed, I’d feel a bit cheated. If it’s not listed, then your brake jobs will be a lot less expensive.
NortonCO (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 05:49 AM
mdformula350
Drifting

Received 471 Likes on 363 Posts

welcome and nice looking ride!
some do convert to the steel if they dont want to replace the ceramics.
looks like you have the stage 2 aero which is nice.
E85 and a tune really do add some hp to these.
Usually for most intakes no tune is needed, not a fan of the oiled air filters though and i think that system is.
if i get my next set of mods, thinking of doing the rotofab 5inch and that mentioned tuning.
i think on the 2019's the rpo QR code is on the door and you can decode it quickly to find out if really a Z07 initially at least.
Old 07-25-2023, 03:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

It is highly unlikely the car is a Z07. The aero is Stage 2 Aero and you don't mention having any other Aero Parts.

Since the car is a 2019 you can check the RPO codes by using the QR label shown in the driver's side door entry. A Z07 will have the following RPO codes: Z07 of course, FE7 (for the suspension), J57 (for the CCM brakes), XFM (for the Michelin Cup 2 tires that were on the car when it shipped from the factory) and CFZ for the Carbon Flash Aero. The Z07 cars were shipped from the factory with both Stage 2 and Stage 3 Aero parts. The Z07 cars received both Stages as Stage 3 was supposed to be for Track usage only and included tall end caps for the front splitter along with the center wicker for the rear spoiler.

From what your picture shows I suspect you will find the following codes: FE6 (for the suspension) and J56 (for the brakes) and XFK (for the tires). I am not sure what the RPO code is for the base Z06 (non Z07).

Bill
Old 07-28-2023, 05:11 AM
Idea
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Gixxerman
Congratz on the sweet C7. Unless previous owner converted to steel, not a Z07 car.. but easily verified with your vin. I will say if you just street Carbon Ceramic brakes.. they will last the life of the car easily. Only thing you have to be careful of is chipping them when you take off wheels. But easily done if your careful. I have GoJak's and long Stainless Studs to do if safely and quickly
Thanks!! Either way I’m happy with the car. It’s really just a weekend cruiser and here in WA she only really comes out a lot during the summer(hence the dirty wheels) haha. I’m moving soon, and hopefully the new place has some decent land on the property to build out my dream workshop/garage. Regardless, i was looking at the MAXJACK? Portable 2 post lift that can be left anchored into the ground or you can move them to the side when not in use. Seems like an interesting concept, and only a little more than quikjacks.

Originally Posted by Shokwav
Definitely not a zo7 car. And I think those center caps are from the carbon 65 edition. In any case that’s a sweet ride. Where in WA are you? I’m in Everett
I’m in Federal Way area!!

So I guess how or what does one spot a z07??

Well, a little late now to do anything about it. Purchased the car from Park Place before the pandemic hit. I always had my suspicions that it wasn’t a z07. But everything else was the spec I wanted. As far as ECM and TCM tuning. Do I have to send my ECM off somewhere? Or can it be flashed? Just not totally satisfied with the Auto in the car. Especially downshifts, and if hitting redline it just kind of hangs there instead of initiating some sort of fuel or ignition cut. Theres more to be desired on the downshifts. Barely blips. 🥴

So for Subaru’s we have the Cobb Accessport, and with my BMW’s I always used Bootmod3. Is there anything similar for this chassis??

but thanks for the insight everyone!! Will def check. However I have a strong feeling I might’ve gotten shafted by Park Place. Lol. They said the car is a 3LT and z07. I haven’t had the time since buying the car to really nerd out on everything about the C7, mainly because I know I’m gonna start tinkering with it as soon as I dip my toes. 🤣
🤣

edit: where in the rear trunk is this RPO thing? I found the QR code in the driver door sill, but that QR code is way too small for my phone to pick up. Also I never noticed this, but when i was lifting the rear cargo mat I noticed two subwoofers located on the back wall of the trunk? Just kind of interesting GM decided that was a good spot for Subwoofers considering most convertible’s the trunk is detached from the cabin. They look to be 6.5? Maybe 8”?? There any good upgrade options that can go in the factory spot?? Factory Bose system is decent imho. Just always can do better ya know??

edit edit: nvm I’m an idiot. Found it on the actual door lmfao
1G1YU3D65K5603242,2019,1YZ67,09,18,Y ,WJGPZH, AAV AE4 AG2 AJ7 AXJ A2X BGR B4Z CFV CJ2 CM8 DD0 DD8 EYT FAY FE6 FE9 FHO GXB G8G G96 IL5 IO6 I19 J56 J6F LT4 MBC M5U NK4 NPP NTB Q6U RWL UHS UQS UQT UV6 U2K V8E WMK XFK Z49 19I 195 3F9 3LZ 5A7 6X1 7X1 8X2 9L3 9X2,9567,,,,

Last edited by Idea; 07-28-2023 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-28-2023, 10:29 AM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 356 Posts

Not a Z07 unfortunately, your RPO codes show FE6 which is the standard Z06 suspension you also have stage 2 aero and standard brakes.

A tune may or may not be needed due to the intake, some manufacturers recommend it on their intakes and others say it isn't necessary for theirs. You will need to look up yours and see or give them a call/email or do some research.

Stock Z06 cars have some whine if you are outside of the car listening to it. As the driver the car has basically no noticeable whine that makes it to your ears. The intake may be giving some more noise or the the supercharger lid could be aftermarket.

I swapped out my supercharger lid for an aftermarket one to get some more whine vs the stock. It doesn't whine like a hellcat but at least I tell the car actually has a supercharger now.

As for how to tell a Z07 from a non Z07. Z07 will have stage 3 aero, which will include a center transparent wickerbill on the spoiler and taller end caps on the splitter. It will also come with carbon ceramic brakes. If the car has ceramics and stage 3 aero it is probably a Z07, however you can get aftermarket stage 3 aero and non Z07s could be ordered with ceramics so its possible there are some cars that look like a Z07 but are not. I'd wager a vast majority with this combination are Z07 however.
Old 07-31-2023, 05:06 PM
Idea
5th Gear

My suspicions were correct. But it’s still plenty of car for me. I assume the other suspension option would be the mag ride, correct?? Im kinda surprised that’s not standard on the z06. As for the whine it’s not hellcat loud, but it’s definitely noticeable in the car when driving. I think I remember reading online you can mod the stock lid for a little more noise? Not sure if there’s a way to check.

Also, do all of these LT4’s run super hot?? The PNW isn’t that hot of a state, I mean peak summer it can get into the 90’s, rarely breaking 100, and average around 80. My coolant temp from just running a few errands shot up to 230f?? But from what I read that seems to be normal. There any mods to lower coolant/oil temp??

Thanks for all the help everyone. I see the Corvette community is a good one. Happy to finally be apart of it!
Old 07-31-2023, 05:58 PM
AHP
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

All Z06s have mag ride. 230° is definitely not normal for regular driving so that needs to be investigated. I track my 2019 regularly and I can run a full session in the mid 80s and still not touch 230. I've only seen 230 once and that was a few weeks back when it was 97°.
Harbgrogan (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 04:31 PM
Idea
5th Gear

Originally Posted by AHP
All Z06s have mag ride. 230° is definitely not normal for regular driving so that needs to be investigated. I track my 2019 regularly and I can run a full session in the mid 80s and still not touch 230. I've only seen 230 once and that was a few weeks back when it was 97°.
I was gonna say. Lol. I basically limped the car back home and after turning the car off the fans ran for a good 5-7 minutes or so. Is there a recommended go-to oil and oil filter for the z06??
Old 08-03-2023, 06:15 PM
AHP
Pro

Originally Posted by Idea
I was gonna say. Lol. I basically limped the car back home and after turning the car off the fans ran for a good 5-7 minutes or so. Is there a recommended go-to oil and oil filter for the z06??

On the heat issues it could be a failed thermostat. Easy enough fix and relatively common. It should run in the 190s in regular driving. Maybe touch 200ish in stop and go or extended idling. For oil Mobil 1 Supercar 0w-40 for street and light track duty. Mobil 1 15w-50 for heavy track duty. AC Delco PF64 filter. If you go with an aftermarket oil filter you need to verify it is the correct bypass pressure.
Old 08-03-2023, 06:22 PM
JimInSoCal
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Idea, your salesman was right on one thing, the Z06 with the Z07 option is fairly rare with only 285 built in 2019.
Old 08-16-2023, 04:27 PM
Idea
5th Gear

Originally Posted by AHP
On the heat issues it could be a failed thermostat. Easy enough fix and relatively common. It should run in the 190s in regular driving. Maybe touch 200ish in stop and go or extended idling. For oil Mobil 1 Supercar 0w-40 for street and light track duty. Mobil 1 15w-50 for heavy track duty. AC Delco PF64 filter. If you go with an aftermarket oil filter you need to verify it is the correct bypass pressure.
right on. Seems OEM filters just can’t be beat tbh. For my WRX I’ll only use OEM filters. For the oil is Mobil 1 Supercar just the recommended?? Will any of the other high end oil be okay as well?? I.e. from Motul, Liqui Moly, Amsoil, Redline, and etc. as long as it’s the correct weight?

also any preventative maintenance I should be wary about? Like is carbon build up an issue on LT4’s? Catch can or AOS system recommended or not really needed?

Originally Posted by JimInSoCal
Idea, your salesman was right on one thing, the Z06 with the Z07 option is fairly rare with only 285 built in 2019.
lol yup, except it didn’t even apply to my car!! Although a little salty, at least they were kind enough to not price the car as if it were a z07. 😂🤣
Old 08-16-2023, 05:53 PM
AHP
Pro

Supercar or the 15w-50 for track is what GM recommends. Because I primarily track the car and am still under the powertrain warranty for a bit longer I run it by the book, just in case. Being a 2019 you may still have a few months left on the warranty and if so I'd run the Mobil 1. After or otherwise you can run what you want at the correct weight. Catch cans are debatable -- I didn't bother and none of the fast LT4 guys I run with have them.
Old 08-18-2023, 11:35 AM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 887 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by AHP
lf it is a failed thermostat, I wouldn't recommend getting a replacement at the Chevy house. Their current replacement is not what came in the car and will cause it to run hot. I ended up with a Katech 174* after trying 2 of the current GM replacement thermostats. Happy camper now.
need-for-speed (08-18-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To New z06 owner. Need some confirmation help

Quick Reply: New z06 owner. Need some confirmation help