C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Just had dealer flush coolant on supercharger and cooling system, running hot now

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 10:05 PM
raptorc5
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Just had dealer flush coolant on supercharger and cooling system, running hot now

Had local dealer that works on a ton of Vettes flush both systems while doing an oil change. Now I’m running 230-240. In Arizona and it’s hotter today than past weeks @ 110, but this seems excessive. We were running it a little faster but it’s still hotter than normal by 10-15 degrees. They miss something? I specifically told them to make sure to properly bleed both.

Leaving on a long trip, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-22-2023, 10:38 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 887 Likes on 576 Posts

If they replaced your thermstat with a new one as part of the coolant flush, the spec on the new thermostats (new part number) seems to be hotter. My Z06 was running anywhere from 9 to 25 degrees hotter with the new thermostat. My Z typically ran about 186* stock on the highway in pretty much all ambient conditions. After the coolant/thermostat change it was running 195* on the highway in the rain with a 55* ambient. It just got hotter from there. They replaced it again with no improvement. I ended up installing a Katech 174*. All is well now.

Don't know what to tell you about the intercooler bleed. Some shops can do it successfully and some can't. You need to question them closely with regard to their technique and tools.

I just had my intercooler circuit bled and the car now seems to be running cooler overall and has good power, even in the heat.
The following users liked this post:
Devereaux (06-30-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 11:04 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I’m far from an expert but sounds to me like they need to better bleed both systems.

not done correctly it would or could cause an issue as you described.

bring it back or post where you are located maybe someone on here knows of a good corvette tech to do this job correctly.

You could offer to pay more to get the original shop to try again after searching this forum on the proper procedure etc, give them a copy as I’m sure money isn’t an issue for you in this situation.

sorry to hear this.

Harbgrogan (06-22-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 01:22 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by raptorc5
Had local dealer that works on a ton of Vettes flush both systems while doing an oil change. Now I’m running 230-240. In Arizona and it’s hotter today than past weeks @ 110, but this seems excessive. We were running it a little faster but it’s still hotter than normal by 10-15 degrees. They miss something? I specifically told them to make sure to properly bleed both.

Leaving on a long trip, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
The Intercooler won't affect the operating temp much while running on the street so even if it wasn't bled correctly it isn't the cause of the higher temps. However, if there is air in the engine cooling circuit you could get a higher operating temp. Since you have driven the car make sure it is cold and then check the coolant level. Driving it may have burped any captured air out of the cooling system and the coolant level may be low. I recently changed the coolant on my Z06 and didn't vacuum bleed the cooling system. I just followed the standard non vacuum procedure to make sure I burped the air out while filling the system.

Bill
JerriVette (06-23-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 09:28 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Start with checking fluid levels. Is the main engine coolant tank full? Looking down in the pass front, find the intercooler expansion tank. It should just have two tiny airpockets in it, about a tablespoon of air each. What's it look like? I'd be shocked if it were well bled based on what I've seen.

The following 2 users liked this post by atljar:
Devereaux (06-30-2023), NortonCO (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 09:06 AM
RonnieLS1
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by atljar
Start with checking fluid levels. Is the main engine coolant tank full? Looking down in the pass front, find the intercooler expansion tank. It should just have two tiny airpockets in it, about a tablespoon of air each. What's it look like? I'd be shocked if it were well bled based on what I've seen.

Could not agree more with this statement.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:43 PM
raptorc5
Advanced

Tank is full. Took it back to dealer and they kept it half a day working on it. Ran awesome all weekend, cooler than it’s ever been but we were up in a littler cooler weather.

Today was 116 and a was running it a little harder, got to 228 with 235 oil… Is that right with the ambient temps? What else can I do? Will doing the 2019 radiator help? Don’t want to throw money after hopes… You hear all the overheat issues with these, but that is suppose to be tracking… How I am running this with spirited daily driving?

Thank you again!
Old 06-27-2023, 02:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Tank is full. Took it back to dealer and they kept it half a day working on it. Ran awesome all weekend, cooler than it’s ever been but we were up in a littler cooler weather.

Today was 116 and a was running it a little harder, got to 228 with 235 oil… Is that right with the ambient temps? What else can I do? Will doing the 2019 radiator help? Don’t want to throw money after hopes… You hear all the overheat issues with these, but that is suppose to be tracking… How I am running this with spirited daily driving?

Thank you again!
Have no idea what you mean by running a little harder. I don't think you have a problem but it is hard to know how hard you really are driving the car. Find out what percentage of coolant was used. The C7 takes a 40% Dexcool/60% water mix. If they went with 50/50 mix the car will run a little hotter since the 50/50 mix doesn't transfer heat as well.

Track overheating occurs when running hard with minutes (not seconds) of wide open throttle or very near wide open throttle operation with engine rpm running between 5500 and 6400 rpm. The only time the throttle isn't wide open is when the right foot is used on the brake pedal when the driver lifts off the throttle to slow the car slightly or to throttle steer by inducing trailing throttle oversteer.

What are the temps when you put the car in cruise at 80 mph and drive it that way for 10 or 15 miles? That will get the temps into a steady state.

Bill
Devereaux (06-30-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 10:28 PM
raptorc5
Advanced

Temps will go down to 210-215. If I drive it the way I want, in manual, they go right back to 225-235. If that is what I should expect, then all good.. but right now I’m not having much fun worrying about it. Feels like I have a really expensive show piece.. Like I said it ran awesome this weekend in 90 degree temperatures. Maybe it’s the nature of this. I’m used the my LS cars @ 210-215.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:08 AM
Devereaux
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Temps will go down to 210-215. If I drive it the way I want, in manual, they go right back to 225-235. If that is what I should expect, then all good.. but right now I’m not having much fun worrying about it. Feels like I have a really expensive show piece.. Like I said it ran awesome this weekend in 90 degree temperatures. Maybe it’s the nature of this. I’m used the my LS cars @ 210-215.
There’s another thread here discussing temps. Bill Dearborn mentioned there that temps of oil up to 300 degrees can be acceptable when tracked. That would make your temps more than OK. You shouldn’t be worried if you are using the correct oil. Bill recommended Mobil 1 Supercar 0X-40. You can get that shipped to you for about $10/qt. Wish I remembered the thread.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:05 AM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 887 Likes on 576 Posts

I would ask the dealership if they changed the thermostat as part of the cooling system service you purchased. If they did, based on my experience, the car will run considerably hotter with the new thermostat.

Get notified of new replies

To Just had dealer flush coolant on supercharger and cooling system, running hot now

Quick Reply: Just had dealer flush coolant on supercharger and cooling system, running hot now