C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Traction

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 02:42 PM
2th Doc
Cruising

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Traction

My car is a 2016 M7 Z06 with 5500 miles on it and I am the second owner. I know the rear tires are not the originals because they are Toyo's...not sure about the fronts as they are OEM, but either way they don't have more than 5500 miles on them. Anyways, I was driving through Charlotte, NC in the rain this weekend and I was on the I-485 ramp to take I-77 south. The ramp is an overpass of sorts that curves to the left. I was doing 55mph in the left lane in 6th gear when the car in front of me changed lanes. I eased on the throttle and the rear end stepped out severely and scared the fecal matter out of me! Traction control is on and I am in Tour mode. I switch to Weather mode and make sure traction control is engaged and try again. Same thing; this time I had to really counter-steer.

My question is: Is this a function of a (1) faulty traction control system, (2) Toyo tires in the rain, (3) both or (4) something else?

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Vette 460 (06-16-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 02:55 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by 2th Doc
My car is a 2016 M7 Z06 with 5500 miles on it and I am the second owner. I know the rear tires are not the originals because they are Toyo's...not sure about the fronts as they are OEM, but either way they don't have more than 5500 miles on them. Anyways, I was driving through Charlotte, NC in the rain this weekend and I was on the I-485 ramp to take I-77 south. The ramp is an overpass of sorts that curves to the left. I was doing 55mph in the left lane in 6th gear when the car in front of me changed lanes. I eased on the throttle and the rear end stepped out severely and scared the fecal matter out of me! Traction control is on and I am in Tour mode. I switch to Weather mode and make sure traction control is engaged and try again. Same thing; this time I had to really counter-steer.

My question is: Is this a function of a (1) faulty traction control system, (2) Toyo tires in the rain, (3) both or (4) something else?

Thanks!
Those ToYo tires could already be 4-5 years old. They may be hard by now.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:02 PM
2th Doc
Cruising

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

That is true, and I am okay with replacing them...I just wanted to make sure that was the issue. I thought that traction control would manage things better. I have had several BMW M cars and I also drive a tuned diesel with around 1800ft-lbs of torque and I have never had a car (or truck) run away from me like that with traction control engaged.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:35 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Once grip is lost in the wet it's almost like being on ice. 55mph in the rain on a curve and accelerating is likely not a good thing.
What tires and sizes exactly are on the car?
Old 06-15-2023, 05:00 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

I also picked up a 2016 Z recently and it overcomes traction control quite easily.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:54 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

I would say it is the tires. I have driven in he rain with my 2019 M7 Z06 and experienced no problems with the stock runflats.
Savoy2001 (06-16-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 11:25 PM
Shokwav
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 118 Posts

did you know what the zo6 was before buying?!
My car will get sideways without any effort at all. I find this car to be the most fun, and yet the dumbest car I’ve ever owned. It’s pointless to drive on the street. But it’s more entertaining than a Honda so I’ll continue to do my best and keep it in a straight line
DriveV8Faster (06-19-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 05:39 AM
mdformula350
Drifting

Received 471 Likes on 363 Posts

if the suspension is in good shape, shocks, bushings, etc.. and the alignment is on par pointing towards tires.
i have driven in the rain a few times and I definitely used weather mode and cranked down my throttle controller back to stock settings.
but overall you really just need to barely touch the gas pedal when in the rain. these car just have low end torque and very light on the pedal still gets it moving in traffic in bad conditions.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

I would say it was the crap tires. TC can only do so much for you and if you are riding on a layer of rainwater the rear wheels will spin even if TC is working. Z06 low rpm torque is very high and when you go from part throttle to a wider throttle setting the torque increase can be very steep. Combine high torque and imminent hydroplane together and the back end will step out very nicely. BMWs don't usually have the low rpm high torque available to lose control of the car that easily.

What is interesting is how the cars were driven at Spring Mountain. With newer OEM tires the instructors would have us put the car into Weather Mode and then try and spin it out on a figure 8 course set up on a wet skid pad. It was very hard to get the cars to spin.

Bill

2th Doc (06-22-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 08:41 AM
SthngWkdThisWayComes
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 75 Posts

Unfortunately it’s the tires. I put a new set of Toyo’s on (R888R). and they just turned 5k miles. When brand new allllll good. Fantastic dry weather/ wet weather traction. Today they still have great dry weather traction. However, last night in a heavy So. Florida rain …… I hydroplaned. All the way home I could feel the slight wiggle in the back end. My last set lasted about 10k miles. Not sure about these at 5k. If your not running high HP (above stock) I would recommend going back to stock tires.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:44 AM
SthngWkdThisWayComes
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I would say it was the crap tires. TC can only do so much for you and if you are riding on a layer of rainwater the rear wheels will spin even if TC is working. Z06 low rpm torque is very high and when you go from part throttle to a wider throttle setting the torque increase can be very steep. Combine high torque and imminent hydroplane together and the back end will step out very nicely. BMWs don't usually have the low rpm high torque available to lose control of the car that easily.

What is interesting is how the cars were driven at Spring Mountain. With newer OEM tires the instructors would have us put the car into Weather Mode and then try and spin it out on a figure 8 course set up on a wet skid pad. It was very hard to get the cars to spin.

Bill
Bill, I’m curious as to what “weather” mode is actually doing when engaged. I could probably look it up in the manual but thought you would have a more in depth understanding. I’m assuming it may: pull timing, create slower throttle response ??
Old 06-17-2023, 09:58 AM
EVRGRN
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 200 Posts

Seems to me like this is simply the inherent nature of these cars and the wide tires. Don't expect the same traction levels as other cars and drive very cautiously on wet roads.
AJay (06-17-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 07:49 PM
ZMMMMM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 160 Likes on 96 Posts

PSA- StabiliTrak

Many corvette owners seem to be unfamiliar with StabiliTrak, which is GM’s version of ESC, which has been a regulation in the US since 2012. On the C7Z06, traction control and StabiliTrak seem to be perfectly calibrated for a mix of safety and fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...bility_control

Get notified of new replies

To Traction

Quick Reply: Traction