C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Engine and Supercharger coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 07:07 PM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Engine and Supercharger coolant

Questions for everyone regarding replacement of coolant on the 2019 M7 C7 Z06.

1. Looking to replace the engine coolant with the VP Stay Frosty-Hi Performance Formula Coolant and would like to know if anyone has done it?

2. Can I use VP Stay Frosty-Hi Performance Formula Coolant for the supercharger cooling system?

3. Has anyone installed the SYNERGY C7 CORVETTE Z06 BUMPER EXPANSION/WATER TANK (both left and right) from Synergy Motorsports?

4. do you think the bumper expansion tanks will help with Florida heat driving and a few HPDE?

Last edited by D C; 12-04-2022 at 05:40 PM. Reason: rephrased the question
Old 12-05-2022, 01:38 AM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Ttt
Old 12-05-2022, 10:06 AM
RichAshley-Black99
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure about the synergy setup Im running these and havnt had an issue with overheating at all. The summers here are no slouch lol.

https://www.montmotorsports.com/cpr-...changer-lt4/#/

https://www.montmotorsports.com/cpr-...vette-z06-lt4/

-Rich
Old 12-05-2022, 10:27 AM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Yes you can run that in the supercharger system, BUT the original Dexcool should be fully flushed and cleared out before using / don't mix the coolants. Another option that wouldn't require a complete flush is a wetting additive, like Redline's Water Wetter. In either use, GM suggests 40% coolant, 60% water mixture, not the normal 50/50.

A more beneficial thing regarding intercooler efficiency would be ensuring its fully and correctly bled of air. Check your tank in the passenger front, and if there's an air pocket there bigger than a two tablespoons, the system needs bled.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:18 AM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you very much atljar for the info. Below is what I found in VP site:
Stay Frosty Hi-Performance formula is for high-performance engine drivers who don’t necessarily need all the benefits of a water-based coolant and prefer better freeze protection. We formulate Hi-Performance with a 30 percent mix of propylene glycol to 70 percent water. Propylene glycol is non-toxic, unlike ethylene glycol used in many other coolants. The 70/30 mix also reduces viscosity. The lower the viscosity in an engine coolant, the better it flows through the radiator tubes. Finally, Hi-Performance allows for a more efficient transfer of heat. In fact, you may be able to run a lower-octane fuel and save money.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:20 AM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Rich, long time no chat.

I have the CPR expansion tank already and looking to do the H/E next, but have purchased the in the bumper tanks to increase coolant capacity and hopefully help more.
The following users liked this post:
RichAshley-Black99 (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 12:10 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by D C
Thank you very much atljar for the info. Below is what I found in VP site:
Stay Frosty Hi-Performance formula is for high-performance engine drivers who don’t necessarily need all the benefits of a water-based coolant and prefer better freeze protection. We formulate Hi-Performance with a 30 percent mix of propylene glycol to 70 percent water. Propylene glycol is non-toxic, unlike ethylene glycol used in many other coolants. The 70/30 mix also reduces viscosity. The lower the viscosity in an engine coolant, the better it flows through the radiator tubes. Finally, Hi-Performance allows for a more efficient transfer of heat. In fact, you may be able to run a lower-octane fuel and save money.
So long as their freeze protection levels are good for your climate, the more water the better! Water is the best heat transfer fluid.
The following users liked this post:
dar02081961 (12-25-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 06:23 PM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by atljar
So long as their freeze protection levels are good for your climate, the more water the better! Water is the best heat transfer fluid.
I don't think I have anything to worry about here in Florida.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:25 PM
RichAshley-Black99
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah man its been awhile send me your numnber and Ill give you a buzz to catch up.

-Rich
Old 12-09-2022, 08:19 PM
C7.R 004
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

DC.
In my situation, freeze protection is not an issue.
I do not use DEX COOL.
I use 2 bottles of Justice Bros "Protector" and 2 bottles of Justice Bros "Rad Cooler" in the rad and SC system each.
Distilled water also with blue dye in the rad and pink dye in the SC, to identify/isolate leaks.
Agree.
Water is the best for heat transfer.
A completely/properly bled system is essential for the track. Not for the street.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:41 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 849 Posts

Dex-cool using a 70/30 blend will be just as good. The higher the water content the more efficient the heat transfer capability.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:57 AM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
Dex-cool using a 70/30 blend will be just as good. The higher the water content the more efficient the heat transfer capability.
NInja, thanks for the input. Heat Exchanger will be installed and the radiator and supercharger drained/flushed then replaced with the VP Stay Frosty-Hi Performance Formula Coolant. I had purchased the VP during their Black Friday sale and I was fortunate to receive the 30% off. It was a lot of gallons. I hope 12 gallons is enough to do both the radiator and supercharger.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by D C
NInja, thanks for the input. Heat Exchanger will be installed and the radiator and supercharger drained/flushed then replaced with the VP Stay Frosty-Hi Performance Formula Coolant. I had purchased the VP during their Black Friday sale and I was fortunate to receive the 30% off. It was a lot of gallons. I hope 12 gallons is enough to do both the radiator and supercharger.
12 gallons is more than likely enough to replace the coolant in both systems. The engine cooling system takes about 11.8 quarts (~3 gallons) and the stock intercooler system takes about 4.5 quarts (1 gallon). Adding the expansion tanks would maybe add another 2 or 3 gallons. If you have a 2019 A8 with a larger radiator (heavy duty cooling system RPO V08) the engine cooling system capacity is increased to 12.7 quarts.

As for a Propylene Glycol based coolant read the following information as it may surprise you about its value as an automotive coolant: https://www.dynalene.com/propolene-g...hylene-glycol/

I suspect the added cooling capacity of the product you have purchased is due to the 70% water content. When compared to Dexcool at a 60% water content (what GM recommends for stock engines) there may be no added advantage and definitely a detriment if compared to Dex which is mixed at 70% water content.

Bill
Old 12-10-2022, 04:07 PM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
12 gallons is more than likely enough to replace the coolant in both systems. The engine cooling system takes about 11.8 quarts (~3 gallons) and the stock intercooler system takes about 4.5 quarts (1 gallon). Adding the expansion tanks would maybe add another 2 or 3 gallons. If you have a 2019 A8 with a larger radiator (heavy duty cooling system RPO V08) the engine cooling system capacity is increased to 12.7 quarts.

As for a Propylene Glycol based coolant read the following information as it may surprise you about its value as an automotive coolant: https://www.dynalene.com/propolene-g...hylene-glycol/

I suspect the added cooling capacity of the product you have purchased is due to the 70% water content. When compared to Dexcool at a 60% water content (what GM recommends for stock engines) there may be no added advantage and definitely a detriment if compared to Dex which is mixed at 70% water content.

Bill
Bill, thank you very much for the input. I truly value your provided inputs here in our forum. I have a 2019 M7 Z06. I will give this a try, collect cooling IAT data via HPTUNER MPVI3. Since I have to change it in 2 years anyway, I will then go back to DEX and collect the data there as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine and Supercharger coolant

Quick Reply: Engine and Supercharger coolant