C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tire issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 07:02 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Tire issue

I'm having to make a decison (possibly) regarding the tires on my 2015 C7 2LT (21,000 miles)

Several months ago I purchased a 2015 2LT coupe from a local dealer. This is not my first Corvette, but it is my first time asking for tire advice.

I have a slow leaking front tire. from what I've been able to discern these are BF Goodrich tires and given the mileage and what looks to me, juding on the tread left, I'm thinking these are not the original tires (but who knows?)

The fundamental question is, since I presume these are run flats is if it's safe to repair the tire in question. I only just discovered the problem but Have a feeling I've been driving on that tire - and the other three for about 800 miles. If it can be repaired, fine, but I'm not entirely convinced that's the right way to go.

If I replace the tire, should I replace the opposite tire on the same "axle"?
If I replace both front tires and change brands (I lean toward Michelins) should I replace all 4 tires? I'm retired, on a fixed income and am looking for the most cost-effective - yet safest solution.

Could use some advice here. Thanks
Old 04-04-2022, 12:14 AM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Just have a tire retailer, like discount tire, belle tire, etc, check for the leak. Usually, you can repair a runflat, and I have numerous times, without issue, as along as the repair isn't on the shoulder of the tire. If you choose to replace it, buy two, so they are on the same axle, they can be a different brand too, as long as you don't mind if it's a noticeable difference in the way they look. You are close to needing new rubber though with that many miles, hopefully, all you'll need is the repair. Good Luck!
Old 04-04-2022, 02:48 AM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

Could be a cracked rim - pretty common.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:46 AM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

If it's a Z06, suspect bent rim/cracked. But you say 2LT meaning it's a narrow body and they had stronger wheels just from being narrower or in the case of a Z51, actually used forged wheels. BFG is not the stock tire and even runflats can be patched at least once as long as the patch is not near the edge of the tire or on the sidewall.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:12 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Agree with the possibility of a nail or cracked or bent rim, but also check the valve. I had Costco mount Michelins on my C4 ZR-1 at one point and a couple of years later had a slow leak. Took it to a tire expert recommended by other ZR-1 owners but they could not find the leak even after testing with soap solution and a dunk tank. Finally took it to Costco and asked their thoughts. Without testing they said bad valve, replaced it (at no cost to me) and I never had a problem after that. I had confessed that I usually would push the tire pressures up to 55-60 psi to minimize flat spotting during winter storage, and they said the valves were only warranted to 44 psi. If it is a nail or screw in the center portion of the tire it can usually be repaired by a tire installer; on the outer edge, no. If it is the valve, a simple fix.Cracked wheel--get forged ones. --Bob
Old 04-04-2022, 03:21 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default How "personally embarassing"

Finally got the car into the dealer and was instantly received and the C7 rushed on and put on the lift.

Was barely able to fix myself a cup of coffee in the waiting room when the tecnhician came in to advise me that they could find anything wrong (except perhaps my poor vison and maybe dirty eyeglasses 0 my thoughts) In fact I had somehow managed to overinflate the tire to 37PSI the other evening in preparation for this morning.

At least they didn't charge me for the coffee I thanked the and (red faced) left for home. I did ask why the "indicator" didn't seem to working and learned there was no warning light but was actually part of the ture valve stam assembly. Oc course since the tire was reset to the proper settings, they couldn't demonstrate it. Probably figured it would't matter anyway given the (perceived) issues anyway.

Then they asked me if I would like to sell them my car. Don't know if they thought I should not have a Corvette at my age, or - as they explained - they were low on inventory.

I tel you, that tire sure looked underinflated to me.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:29 PM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

There is almost no way to tell if a run-flat tire is low just by looking at it.

On my previous C6 Z06, I was backing out of the garage one morning and got a zero tire pressure warning for the passenger side rear tire. I got out and looked - tire looked fine, figured it was a bad TMPS on that wheel.

Just to be safe, I got out my tire gage - it read zero - the tire had no air at all (it had a screw in the tread). Took the tire off and Discount Tire patched it.

Bottom line - run-flat tires can't be visually checked for inflation.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:02 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks. All good advice. I'm learning more every day. Just hope now I don't become overconfident when I incur a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire issue

Quick Reply: Tire issue