C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Must have/must do mods for a Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 08:50 PM
Firulice
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

Don't forget window tint!
Old 03-15-2022, 08:59 AM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Thank you guys! The car already has PPF on it and tinted windows.

I'll dig more into the recommendations above this weekend. This car is an absolute blast to drive!
The following users liked this post:
need-for-speed (03-21-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 09:31 AM
Scarlett-73
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts

The best advice I can offer is to buy a set of Forgeline Monoblock forged wheels and keep the stock wheels in the basement for when you trade in or sell the car. The stock wheels have a history of warping and cracking leaving you with a flat when you least need it. Never mind that I have five sets of wheels and tires.
I have also done a Halltech CAI, Solar Throttle controller, upgraded the pulley, Soon I'll be adding ARH Headers and x-pipe and a new tune. My goal is to have 650 at the wheels not at the crank. Currently with the Halltech, CAI, Pulley upgrade throttle controller and a tune I'm pulling 618 RWHP and 612 ftlbs TQ. Now I'm thinking about a Tony Mamo Ported Throttle body, DeWitt's dual core radiator and upgraded fan. (gotta keep it cool)
StevieATL (04-14-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 12:33 PM
WPGZ06
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 337 Posts

Enjoy it, Drive it a Bit, then decide what your missing. Like others have said it is plenty fast, so many do nothing, 1 or 2 things, or you can go crazy with mods. All depends on what your looking for.
Old 03-19-2022, 11:49 PM
Firulice
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by VirginiaAgent
Catless X-Pipe
Soler Ported Throttle Body
BMS drop in filter
ACS XL front rock guards
Mighty Mouse Catch Can
Clear LED side lights
XPel wrap (expensive but worth it)

It's plenty fast for me the way it is, and it's coming out of hibernation any day now!
where can you get a catless xpipe now? It seems the borla ones now start after the secondary cats?
Old 03-19-2022, 11:51 PM
JUICEBOX
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 101 Posts

AFM disabler
Klaus-96 (04-14-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 01:05 AM
WilkZ06
Heel & Toe

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 2015 Z06/Z07 package, I first went with window tint, all side and rear markers tinted, all black lug nut caps, and black wheel caps instead of the chrome trim ones that came on it and black corvette emblem valve stem covers. Put on a small rear window top sunshade and tail light covers. Came with a clear bra protector pretty much all over.

Then I went with the AWE axle back Track exhaust with the AWE off road x-pipe, before they were all gone. Right now my car is at Brewer Speed & Racing in Columbus, Ga. Adding a TSP stage 3 Cam, ARH long tube headers with high flow cats, Halltech CAI, DSX fuel system for E-85, ATI balancer with new belt. Should be ready for pick up this up coming week. Received a sound clip on Fri. Needs to be test driving and final Tune before a detailed cleaning job. Then ready for pickup.

Last edited by WilkZ06; 03-20-2022 at 01:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WilkZ06:
Firulice (03-20-2022), ReelPatriot (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 11:17 AM
DaChile
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Jimbob8915, I pretty much have the same mods you have on your C7Z except for going with an AFE CAI w/ blue filter. I think I'm good with my stock exhaust but was looking into changing my X-pipe. Since I live in Commie California I was wandering if it was worth changing because I will have to keep the secondary cats for smog and registration. My main goal is to have it sound a little meaner without drone at highway cruising speeds. The car has plenty of horses but , would not say no to a few more.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:28 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by DaChile
Jimbob8915, I pretty much have the same mods you have on your C7Z except for going with an AFE CAI w/ blue filter. I think I'm good with my stock exhaust but was looking into changing my X-pipe. Since I live in Commie California I was wandering if it was worth changing because I will have to keep the secondary cats for smog and registration. My main goal is to have it sound a little meaner without drone at highway cruising speeds. The car has plenty of horses but , would not say no to a few more.
I actually have not installed any of these parts yet. They are sitting in my garage. I have a set of factory manifolds being ported and when they back I will throw them on. Right no I am trying to find someone to give me a baseline pull to see where I am and how much difference these parts make.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:41 PM
Zidane
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Mamo throttle body and cat-less X-Pipe for sure. We need to get together so you can see if you like it on mine!
Old 03-21-2022, 09:24 PM
Theron4569
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have done cam, pulley, ARH headers and hi flow cats into AWE Touring exhaust. Getting Kong porting on the blower, Nick Williams throttle body and DSX low side fueling done this week. I do have videos of the exhaust sound if you are interested.

Ron
ReelPatriot (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 10:10 AM
ir0nman11
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

You probably meant for power mods, but one of the cheapest mods I consider essential will be on the interior and it is an upgraded cup holder. Like these for example: www.afmediaspec.icu/shop
Old 03-22-2022, 12:20 PM
ReelPatriot
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Theron4569
I have done cam, pulley, ARH headers and hi flow cats into AWE Touring exhaust. Getting Kong porting on the blower, Nick Williams throttle body and DSX low side fueling done this week. I do have videos of the exhaust sound if you are interested.

Ron
Ron - I’m looking to do something similar. Would love to see and hear the finished product!
joe
Old 04-14-2022, 03:29 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The first mod I plan to install in the ZO6 I'm buying are those nifty stickers that cover the seat belt and air bag warnings on the sun visors!
SthngWkdThisWayComes (04-14-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 11:35 PM
Wavedoggie
Navigator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Must-have: Sound dampening around the back, window tint, and a Uniden R7.
Nice to have: I added a audio control LC2 bass booster, a small Kenwood KAC-M3400 amp in addition to the Bose amp, and subwoofers in the factory locations 'cause the weakest thing in the car is the sound system!
Old 04-17-2022, 10:54 AM
427muscle
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wavedoggie
Must-have: Sound dampening around the back, window tint, and a Uniden R7.
Nice to have: I added a audio control LC2 bass booster, a small Kenwood KAC-M3400 amp in addition to the Bose amp, and subwoofers in the factory locations 'cause the weakest thing in the car is the sound system!
Do you mean KAC-M3004? Also, where did you mount it at? Really thinking this is a perfect solution to one of the audio shortcomings on the car
Old 04-17-2022, 03:53 PM
Wavedoggie
Navigator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After picking up advice from This excellent thread I used a axxess AX-DSP-MOST1 wire harness to save the factory connectors and splice into the LC2 input. The LC2 fits under the lip to the right of the video module. I cut off the rearmost mounting stud and skewed the Stability control module so the amp fits right between them.
I am running the amp in 3-channel mode with the bridged amp going to a Pioneer TSA2000LD2 sub in the stock location and the other two going to the door woofers. It gets hot in there so I added a fan that switches on with the amp. Since the tweeters are in parallel with the door woofers I added a 10 ohm 5 watt resistor on them to tame them down.
This is the sweet spot for Bang for the buck.

The next step in cost/complexity is the amp will strain the stock woofers if you like it LOUD though so I added a pair of Pioneer TS-SW2502S4's which is overkill, but work nicely. Disregard the speakers in the pic, they were a poor choice for my setup.
joemessman (04-17-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 08:51 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 528 Likes on 283 Posts

I've only had my Z since November. I did a lot of research over the winter before doing any mods. Two of my biggest issues with the car were the stumbling (and sometimes stalling) off idle, and the lack of response from the gas pedal.

My first mod was a drop in BMS air filter. Believe it or not, it made a very noticable difference in how the car felt. At first, there was a bit of surging at medium throttle. But after giving the computer about 100 miles to acclimate to the increased air flow, the engine pulls smooth and harder than before. And even better, it eliminated about 80% of the off idle stumbling. I'm convinced that an aftermarket intake is a waste of money on the LT4. The bottle neck seems to be the filter.

My next mod (last weekend) was a Soler throttle controller. OMG! It's unbelievable! You can dial up the throttle responsiveness to any level that you want. I'm still playing with it to find my happy spot. In the higher settings the throttle can be overly sensitive off idle. But, when you find the right setting it virtually eliminates the off idle stumbling.

The next logical mod would be the Soler ported throttle body, which I'm hoping will make the engine even smoother, and feel stronger than it already does. I'm going to order one later this spring.

Technically, new Forgestar wheels and Michelin Pilot AS4 tires were my first mod. But they went on at about the same time as the BMS filter. With the cold spring and fall weather around Chicagoland, I needed some all season tires. But they struggle to handle the power of the car when pushed aggressively. The Forgestars were probably a mistake because they have crappy quality control, and may not be any more bend or crack resistant than the stock wheels. I had them powdercoated to correct the finish. We'll see how they hold up structurally.

To me, the stock exhaust is way too quiet. I have a new Corsa Xtreme setup with double helix x-pipe waiting for me to install. It's been too cold when I've had the time to do it...so it will probably have to wait until later this month.

Of course, there are always cosmetic mods to do....but those are all personal preference. However, I can highly recommend the ACS extra wide splash guards. They look great, and do an excellent job of preventing rock chips. PPF was already on much of the car when I bought. That would have otherwise been my 1st mod.

Last edited by car2fast4you; 04-17-2022 at 09:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Must have/must do mods for a Z06?