C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Right Valve Cover Breather Valve Tab Broken Off

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 11:02 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Right Valve Cover Breather Valve Tab Broken Off

Guys,
Need some advice. I was removing the right side (passenger side) coil cover and while pulling on the vent tube breather piece (pictured), one of the tabs broke off and I'm not sure if it came off outside or inside the valve cover. Will that little piece of plastic damage the engine if left alone? Or should I remove the valve cover and look for the broken piece and replace the valve cover gasket?

Worried...MT

What is this called?

What is this called?

Old 02-03-2022, 03:02 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Mine also broke off, but I was lucky to see the broken part right by the opening. I added another, one step thicker o-ring to secure it back to its place.

It'd likely not cause any damage, but if you can't find it, you'd be better off opening the cover and getting it out.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:41 AM
MTsVette
Drifting

Thanks X25...that's what my thought was too. A gasket is cheap, and a little time involved.

MT
Old 02-03-2022, 08:58 AM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

Worst case scenario is it drops to the bottom and you get it out at an oil change. It's not going to get picked up by the sump due to the screen size at the orifice.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:28 AM
Gixxerman

Received 3,758 Likes on 2,132 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I don't think that little part would do damage or survive long in a hot engine.. still sux though
Old 02-04-2022, 09:14 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,289 Likes on 849 Posts

No need to worry about it at all.
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (02-04-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 01:52 AM
MTsVette
Drifting

Update: I ended up removing the passenger side valve cover and then discovered that the inside of the valve cover has a metal cover on it that is factory sealed. It has 9 very small pressed in holes that I suspect for air flow. The design of the inside of the valve cover makes is really impossible for a small piece of anything getting inside the valves and engine. So, I ordered a new gasket and put it all back together. Not hard, except I could use regular 1/2-drive10mm socket with a 6-inch extension for the top bolts. But the left side and bottom bolts required me using a 1/4-inch 10mm socket with a 1/4-inch ratchet. and extension. Finally, to make the job easier, I removed all the front air tube related pieces to the engine, to include the whole airbox, because in order to loosen/remove the alternator bolts, to pull it back and away, the air box has to come out, which gives you more space to remove the lower right valve cover bolt.

All in all, took me about 1.5 hrs.

MT
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (02-11-2022)
Old 02-12-2023, 11:34 PM
jimktm
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I broke the same plastic fitting tab on my Z51 today. Was trying to remove it to just so I could swing line out of way to access cabin air filter. I was pulling it out straight with my fingers and wiggling it, but it took a lot of force to get it out, and tab snapped.

If I buy a new plastic fitting to replace it, I'm guessing it's pretty tough to get the plastic line off the barbed part of the fitting, plus I don't see a good way to remove this fitting from valve cover again in future without breaking a tang again. Re the alternative mentioned above about putting a thicker o-ring in to help secure it in place, would that be a better way to fix it, and what size o-ring would I need?
Old 02-13-2023, 10:15 AM
Harbgrogan
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

I did the same thing and pulled the valve cover as well only to find the built in baffling prevents you from getting to it. I also used a slightly larger o-ring, not sure what size.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:34 AM
thefitzvh
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts

Same happened to me. I figure it'll end up in a screen somewhere. it's also so small and doggone fragile that im not sure anything other than obliteration would happen to it if it actually got into somewhere :-)
Old 02-17-2023, 02:10 PM
jimktm
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the correct technique to remove this elbow from valve cover so a tab doesn't break? Seems bad they have a 90 degree tang at the end of the each tab instead of a slightly angled tang.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:05 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,289 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by jimktm
What's the correct technique to remove this elbow from valve cover so a tab doesn't break? Seems bad they have a 90 degree tang at the end of the each tab instead of a slightly angled tang.
Pull straight up. Do not twist or angle is side to side. One firm smooth pull upward and it will pop out.

Get notified of new replies

To Right Valve Cover Breather Valve Tab Broken Off

Quick Reply: Right Valve Cover Breather Valve Tab Broken Off