C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

New Z is out..Do prices come down now ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 05:35 PM
zfighters
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The Japanese learned from when Fukushima went nuclear. They stocked up and created inventory for all of their parts mfg'd in Japan. That's why the Japanese big 3 are not as affected as much. But since this issue has gone on so long it is finally starting to affect them too. It seems VW was particularly affected (or maybe the whole EU tighter lockdown). Their lots are EMPTY.

And finally anything imported is being slammed by the truck driver shortage and global supply bottlenecks.

Some companies, domestic and others, are all removing features that are consuming excess chips from their cars just so they can put the cars on the lot. Plenty of clueless buyers don't even know.

I think GM in particular is saving chips for their most profitable vehicles aka trucks. And will likely do so for the corvette as much as they can. Who cars about a Malibu with a 5% profit margin when you can get that sweet 20% and higher MSRP on a truck.

In my opinion having 50 + chips in a vehicle is ridiculously over and under-engineered. They should centralize with some heavier duty chips and double or triple redundancy them (I know its not that simple esp with some new self drive tech but the point remains).

Back on topic. I bought my Z used so over the 3.5 years it has only lost about 10-12k value, about $35k down from msrp. It will likely dip over the winter and probably increase a bit in spring/summer. Once the C8Z is out it will slowly decline but still hold value well.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:22 PM
Cedar
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks Bill for the detailed explanation. I learned a lot from you today, much appreciated!

And thank you zfighters for your explanation. I learned from you too!

Last edited by Cedar; 10-30-2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:37 PM
JoeCT
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

I just think most discussions about C7 versus C8, Z06 or otherwise, miss an important point. C8 is unlike any prior generation change.

The C8 is a completely different vehicle. Quantifiably “better“ than C7 in many many ways - but also it’s just different. Does that mean that a C7 will hold it’s value? Well, I won’t argue that it’s going to be a collectible given its mass production but it’s reasonable to think that the C7, especially Z06, the last front mid-engine and particularly the manuals will have some additional staying power. After all, it was and remains a great sports car. Obviously, it’s hard to draw any conclusions right now given the craziness over last 18 months.

In my opinion, the Corvette whose value will suffer the most from the C8 Z06 hitting the streets is the C8.

Last edited by JoeCT; 10-30-2021 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:04 AM
WPGZ06
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeCT
I just think most discussions about C7 versus C8, Z06 or otherwise, miss an important point. C8 is unlike any prior generation change.

The C8 is a completely different vehicle. Quantifiably “better“ than C7 in many many ways - but also it’s just different. Does that mean that a C7 will hold it’s value? Well, I won’t argue that it’s going to be a collectible given its mass production but it’s reasonable to think that the C7, especially Z06, the last front mid-engine and particularly the manuals will have some additional staying power. After all, it was and remains a great sports car. Obviously, it’s hard to draw any conclusions right now given the craziness over last 18 months.

In my opinion, the Corvette whose value will suffer the most from the C8 Z06 hitting the streets is the C8.
This is what I believe as well, time will tell if we are right. I look at the forums and from speaking to local club guys, it is the C8 ray guys who are lining up for the C8Z along with those who just dropped their C8 base all together to just wait it out for the C8Z. The C7 forum guys here don't (mostly) interested in changing and same is seen locally here, C7 guys aren't changing over. Truth will be seen in years though so we won't know for a while.
The following users liked this post:
JoeCT (10-31-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 02:46 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Track
Is the new Z available yet? I don't think you can get it for another year?

With the current supply chain issues you can barely find new cars on the lot, so I don't think the prices will be dropping any time soon.
Middle summer 2022 I thought.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:05 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 360 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
the new Z is not out.
True....But would you pay 119,000 for a used 2019 Z06 ? Even 100 K ? Not me...
Old 11-01-2021, 03:20 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 360 Likes on 261 Posts

I have always had manuals in the 4 corvettes I have owned over the years...Manuals are fun and give you I’m guessing a more controlled feel for the car....

Have to say though with today’s technology it seems that a dual clutch auto will beat any similar HP car that’s manually equipped...

I have seen the difference in manual cars against other manual cars that have different shifters....

Have a modified C6Z with a hurst shifter...Better than stock,but to me not the greatest shifter ( bought the car equipped with it ) Drove a C6Z with similar power to mine with a Hinson shifter and it was so much of a faster shift...If we drag raced and had similar driver experience he would win a lot of the times..

With a technologically advanced dual clutch you will most likely beat other cars manually equipped even with more HP...

I guess I’m getting old but I could see myself just using my middle finger to throw gears...

Old 11-01-2021, 03:29 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

Originally Posted by I got your ZO6
Reasons prices will drop
1. New Z is here
2. Production will pick up again (assuming chips are available) may not have hurt corvettes as much but it elevated prices as a whole
3. People will want to unload to create up cash to purchase the new Z and will be willing to part at a lower price

Reasons Prices will stay high
1. it’s still the last of the front engines
2. last available manual (if you have one)
3. Still the best looking corvette of all time (subjective)
4. Inflation is here and it’s real
And mine is a last of the soft top convertibles in addition to M7, front engine design.
The following users liked this post:
RidgeRunner0207 (11-06-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 03:23 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

So if the ABS goes kaput, the car is essentially kaput?

Great description and info from you, as always!

Timely thread. Have been on the fence about jumping into C8. Very simply just love the looks of my C5Z. Heck I've been on fence about C6Z and C7Z for years since all of 'em came out. Just never floated my boat enough to upgrade!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You can see this happening with some C5s now. ABS controllers for 1997 - 2000 model year cars have been unavailable for several years.

Bill

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 11-03-2021 at 03:30 AM.

Quick Reply: New Z is out..Do prices come down now ?