C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Automatic touchless car wash drops oil temp fast and considerably

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 03:41 PM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor Mark
The problem with them (automatic car washes including touchless) is two fold. They use very harsh detergents that strip off the wax or sealant you have applied and they recycle the water. While the water may be filtered, it will still contain some dirt particles which are being projected onto your car at high pressure.
Man my best friend runs a carwash, has 4 manual bays, 1 touch bay and 1 touchless bay. The detergents are not that harsh these days. They run a neutral pH detergent just for that reason. Also at least here in Oklahoma the car washes dont recycle any water. It goes into the storm drain system.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:47 PM
Gixxerman

Received 3,762 Likes on 2,135 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Nasty lol
Old 07-29-2021, 10:14 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 873 Likes on 436 Posts

I think the soap from the car wash is the cheapest thing out there and doubt it’s very harsh it literally dissolves in your hand if you’ve ever felt it. There’s really not much to it
Old 07-29-2021, 10:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

The biggest gripe I have against the touchless washes is they really don't get the car clean. It is almost clean. Have never seen the car wash detergent take off any wax or shine products that I use. The harshness of those detergents is overrated. As for using recycled water what does that mean? All water is recycled. Maybe car wash water is recycled less than the rest but it is sufficient for the purpose. When it is 95 and humid outside and the sun is blazing down on my home from sunup to sundown due to lack of trees there is no way I am going to wash the car myself. Just trying to keep the sun from drying the soap on the car before I get done rinsing it is hard.

Bill
Old 07-30-2021, 07:01 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

I've used the touchless car washes for years and haven't noticed any adverse effects on the finish and/or clear coat. Granted, it's NOT as spotless clean as a hand wash, but for the time and effort involved it works for me!
My only complaint is the high pressure wash across the hood gets into the hood vent and discolors the inside hood liner which looks like crap after a few washes.
Although, I have to say it - some of you guys are pretty serious about detail -- it's a car !! A nice one, but still a car !!.

They had a question a few years back in the C6 forum -- "who is the most **** with their vette" The overall consensus winner was; A guy bought slippers and Ziploc bags for both the drivers side and passenger side of his corvette. When you got into the car you MUST remove your shoes and bag them, then put on the slippers for driver and passenger side while in the car. The slippers remain on ONLY in the car, never outside the car!! He won hands down as the most **** C6 owner.

Last edited by kenownr; 07-30-2021 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:47 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I always read for touchless carwash to work along with high pressure water they had to use harsh chemicals to get the dirt off. For that reason I stayed away from them. When I had my car detailed (PPF and ceramic coating) it was suggested to use waterless wash which I never heard of before. I did some research and now that is basically how I clean all my cars. On trips I just pack the spray bottle and a few microfiber towels. It simple and easy and I can clean it where ever I am. I use CarPro ECH2O and their interior products, but Im sure there are other brands.

Waterless Wash, High Gloss Detail Spray, Rinse-less Wash, and Clay Lubricant.

EcH2o is a waterless cleanser and gloss-enhancer built on years of research and development by CARPRO! EcH2o was designed to work in harmony with ceramic coatings and even provides easy cleaning of non-coated or waxed surfaces! Based on a SiO2 hybrid framework and an eco-friendly organic lubricant solution, EcH2o safely cleans and glosses a variety of exterior vehicle surfaces with ease!

Paint and chrome take on an entirely new level of gloss and reflection with this incredible formula. And better yet, it is easy to use even in extreme heat and direct sun on painted surfaces! Our solution to providing a swirl free and eco friendly waterless experience is a blend of proprietary lifting agents combined with natural organic extracts and lubricants.

The secret to the safe cleansing abilities provided by EcH2o is a combination of its modified high gloss SiO2 component and its innate cleansing abilities, which easily removes dust and light dirt whilst leaving behind a wet, glass-like surface! The finish left by EcH2o mimics the incredible properties that have become synonymous with CARPRO SiO2 sealants and CQUARTZ coatings throughout the years!

In conjunction with a quality microfiber towel, the lubricants aid in safely removing the larger particles from the surface while the remnants of the EcH2o solution become an active cleaner across the surface and begin to loosen any particulates that were left behind. Before the final step (noted in the product directions) the solution may dry to a fine haze indicating it is ready to wipe off any remaining product effortlessly!
Old 07-30-2021, 10:52 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
I always read for touchless carwash to work along with high pressure water they had to use harsh chemicals to get the dirt off. For that reason I stayed away from them. When I had my car detailed (PPF and ceramic coating) it was suggested to use waterless wash which I never heard of before. I did some research and now that is basically how I clean all my cars. On trips I just pack the spray bottle and a few microfiber towels. It simple and easy and I can clean it where ever I am. I use CarPro ECH2O and their interior products, but Im sure there are other brands.

Waterless Wash, High Gloss Detail Spray, Rinse-less Wash, and Clay Lubricant.

EcH2o is a waterless cleanser and gloss-enhancer built on years of research and development by CARPRO! EcH2o was designed to work in harmony with ceramic coatings and even provides easy cleaning of non-coated or waxed surfaces! Based on a SiO2 hybrid framework and an eco-friendly organic lubricant solution, EcH2o safely cleans and glosses a variety of exterior vehicle surfaces with ease!

Paint and chrome take on an entirely new level of gloss and reflection with this incredible formula. And better yet, it is easy to use even in extreme heat and direct sun on painted surfaces! Our solution to providing a swirl free and eco friendly waterless experience is a blend of proprietary lifting agents combined with natural organic extracts and lubricants.

The secret to the safe cleansing abilities provided by EcH2o is a combination of its modified high gloss SiO2 component and its innate cleansing abilities, which easily removes dust and light dirt whilst leaving behind a wet, glass-like surface! The finish left by EcH2o mimics the incredible properties that have become synonymous with CARPRO SiO2 sealants and CQUARTZ coatings throughout the years!

In conjunction with a quality microfiber towel, the lubricants aid in safely removing the larger particles from the surface while the remnants of the EcH2o solution become an active cleaner across the surface and begin to loosen any particulates that were left behind. Before the final step (noted in the product directions) the solution may dry to a fine haze indicating it is ready to wipe off any remaining product effortlessly!
I suspect you don't use that after a 3 day track weekend with track turds, bugs, dirt and brake dust smashed and smeared into the paint. Hit a bumblebee with the front fascia going 150 mph and it leaves a mess.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 08-02-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:59 AM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

No way in hell an automatic wash is going to clean off the crap you pick up from a track weekend. My car has expel on the front half, ceramic coating all over and while I don't have to do any major scrubbing to clean it off, it still requires some agitation to get off all the bug guts, brake dust and rubber turds off the car. Heck I had a pain in the *** time removing some rubber turds from my radiator because I saw a few pieces managed to make it inside flung from a car ahead of me. Worst yet are the really hot melted rubber turds that smear across the side panels. I have to take a soapy cloth to get it off even with ceramic coating.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:13 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I suspect you don't use that after a 3 day track weekend with track turds, bugs, dirt and brake dust smashed and smeared into the paint. Hit a bumblebee with the front fascia going 150 mph and it leaves a mess.

Bill

Bill
valid point, but you know that the closest 99% of these cars are getting to a track is the corvette coral.

Old 08-02-2021, 12:27 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
valid point, but you know that the closest 99% of these cars are getting to a track is the corvette coral.
Don't forget parade laps!!!
The following users liked this post:
TxLefty (08-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Automatic touchless car wash drops oil temp fast and considerably