C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Swerve to the left

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 10:49 AM
king off the hill
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Swerve to the left

Any ideas would be very helpful .When i step on from a start always goes left had a alinement no change seems to cause front to fly left?
Old 04-06-2021, 11:01 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Tire diameter not the same in the rear or the thrust angle is off pushing the rear to the right, the front goes left.
The following users liked this post:
king off the hill (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 11:03 AM
Dougpaper
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

go to the southern hemisphere it will swerve the other way as well as the toilet water.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dougpaper:
B747VET (04-09-2021), JasonVette (04-06-2021), LagunaSecaZ06 (04-06-2021), ZR1Bob (04-12-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 11:17 AM
JasonVette
Drifting

Received 1,211 Likes on 596 Posts

Is this like a WOT thing from a dig? If so it's good that it's predictable at least. Have you checked your tire life? Pressure?
Old 04-06-2021, 11:28 AM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

A lot of alignment shops don't check nor can adjust rear caster. Just tossing it out there that I always had a hard pull to passenger side when it broke loose contrary to what the road conditions and steering angle should having me braking loose to the driver side. It showed in a more worn passenger side in terms of wear, the driver's side would grip more and the passenger side tended to break loose first. My stock tires look like the passenger side tire had 1/3 more wear in it when I pulled them off.

I would examine the tire wear, compare sides to see which is spinning more as that would be my next guess after confirming alignment is actually good.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:42 AM
JasonVette
Drifting

You know now that I think about it my car also has a tendency to go left whenever I lose traction....I've had an alignment (granted I lowered the car after), but even before then on the stock tires and on worn R888R.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:55 AM
kloudin
Advanced

If you are saying you have to counter steer to keep the car straight under acceleration I would start with rear caster.
madrob2020 (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 12:46 PM
king off the hill
Racer

Originally Posted by kloudin
If you are saying you have to counter steer to keep the car straight under acceleration I would start with rear caster.
Got contental tires the good ones both new but when i go from dead start with a little jam my *** end just slides and my Z fly left but if doing 40 or fifty look out strait as a arrow and fast.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:40 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Are we talking "neck snapping I will have whiplash tomorrow" snap to the left, or just a bit of a pull?

With all ESC and traction controls on, there's a bias to pull driver's side usually due to weight distribution side to side. The ESC and traction will catch it and flash a few lights but it shouldn't be too bad and the car will track more or less straight without any real need for steering input intervention. Look up Z06 review videos and you will see this intervention common for reviewers when punching it, they are surprised by the power, the car wiggles (if there's PDR or a video capturing the car view from behind) and without any real intervention from steering, all that is noted is there is power and a big smile.

Then there's that whiplash inducing caster is bad kind of snap. This one the car catches pretty much after the fact, ie if there was a wall there odds are you would have kissed it or worse and when the power cut, it cut it hard after the fact. This is one where you find yourself trying to control it via steering input, but your reaction will be a step behind the computer.

Last edited by SladeX; 04-06-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:52 PM
king off the hill
Racer

[QUOTE=SladeX;1603262622]Are we talking "neck snapping I will have whiplash tomorrow" snap to the left, or just a bit of a pull?

With all ESC and traction controls on, there's a bias to pull driver's side usually due to weight distribution side to side. The ESC and traction will catch it and flash a few lights but it shouldn't be too bad and the car will track more or less straight without any real need for steering input intervention. Look up Z06 review videos and you will see this intervention common for reviewers when punching it, they are surprised by the power, the car wiggles (if there's PDR or a video capturing the car view from behind) and without any real intervention from steering, all that is noted is there is power and a big smile.

Then there's that whiplash inducing caster is bad kind of snap. This one the car catches pretty much after the fact, ie if there was a wall there odds are you would have kissed it or worse and when the power cut, it cut it hard after the fact. This is one where you find yourself trying to control it via steering input, but your reaction will be a step behind the computer.[/QUOI I have to let the pedal up or it would wipe out ,
Old 04-06-2021, 03:05 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Since you mentioned its the latter version, I'm sharing my experience with my own car. It was mismatched caster where I had too much positive on the driver side and negative on the passenger side. Punching it from a crawl or a hard launch would always snap the car towards the passenger side. Every other vette and camaro I've owned launched hard and straight save for the camaro when it was stock and had a panhard rod which always pulled driver's side.

Last edited by SladeX; 04-06-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:07 PM
JasonVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by SladeX
Since you mentioned its the latter version, I'm sharing my experience with my own car. It was mismatched caster where I had too much positive on the driver side and negative on the passenger side.
Where do you get your alignment done? I go to Firestone, but because my car is lowered there are only a couple that can handle it and the managers there are always so difficult to deal with.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:09 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Gotta find an alignment shop more or less local to you that vette owners trust. Check the local groups around your area and see who they trust with alignment. Chain shops are hit or miss, some places have good chain shops with knowledgeable and friendly people, while most are just average mechanics.

Last edited by SladeX; 04-06-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:21 PM
2ZORNOT2Z
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 259 Posts

Just make sure they have the right tools to measure and set rear caster since it sounds like that may be your issue. Not even all dealers carry those either. Most cars don't have rear caster adjustments so, if they look at you like you are crazy or try to talk about rear camber just say thanks and walk out. The typical alignment racks won't measure or adjust rear caster. It should be set between 0 up to +0.8. I wouldn't set it negative but the most important thing is both rears are the same. I take mine to a speed shop that does alignments for all the weekend racers around here.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:54 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 960 Likes on 622 Posts

^^^^^This. Caster/Caster! Had a ‘16Z & now a ‘19Z. Both would make your *** pucker trying to rocket 🚀 off a dead stop or low speed WOT launch. Had the dealer do the caster with the proper SET of 2 specialty tools required & the snap left/right COMPLETELY went away. The dealer can get them on loan from his Global Connect portal if they are enrolled in the “loan a tool” program which last I checked is around $900 per year. Google “caster” & you will see how drastically it affects straight line WOT pulls. Normal alignment numbers don’t affect WOT from stop or low speed pulls, only when just going down the road & carving thru the twisties. MHO
Old 04-06-2021, 05:56 PM
king off the hill
Racer

Originally Posted by 2ZORNOT2Z
Just make sure they have the right tools to measure and set rear caster since it sounds like that may be your issue. Not even all dealers carry those either. Most cars don't have rear caster adjustments so, if they look at you like you are crazy or try to talk about rear camber just say thanks and walk out. The typical alignment racks won't measure or adjust rear caster. It should be set between 0 up to +0.8. I wouldn't set it negative but the most important thing is both rears are the same. I take mine to a speed shop that does alignments for all the weekend racers around here.
Thank you here are my spec caster 6.72 right 7.05 camber _074 right _073 camber left _76 right _0.78thrust angle 000
Old 04-06-2021, 06:34 PM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by king off the hill
Thank you here are my spec caster 6.72 right 7.05 camber _074 right _073 camber left _76 right _0.78thrust angle 000
Those are front caster values. You need to find somewhere to check and set rear caster.

Get notified of new replies

To Swerve to the left

Old 04-06-2021, 11:13 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

I punched it from a dead stop today and it just launched like a rocket, other than an initial wheel spin, the car just spun a tiny amount then hooked with no drama. Rear caster is what fixed my issues. Will probably fix yours too.
king off the hill (04-07-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 07:34 PM
king off the hill
Racer

My friend you were right just got her out of G.M alinement camber was out thank you goes strait now ,
Old 04-11-2021, 11:10 AM
king off the hill
Racer

Originally Posted by king off the hill
Any ideas would be very helpful .When i step on from a start always goes left had a alinement no change seems to cause front to fly left?
Thank you all great advice rear cambers set and much better does lowering the car help traction?

Quick Reply: Swerve to the left