C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Michelin Cup 2 tires with track connect

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 12:00 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 100 Posts

Default Michelin Cup 2 tires with track connect

I had my 19 Z06 in for its annual inspection and the cup tires won't pass . 4200 miles!!

Anyway, I ordered another set from Tire Rack. They are on backorder with no date in sight. Tire Rack thinks it could be 2 months. There is also a version of the tire with what's called Track Connect, a sensor in each tire that connects with an app for track guys (which I am not) and communicates info about tire pressure to an app. Seems like fun for a non track guy like me. The tires are a few bucks more expensive with this thing.

I changed the order to these because they will ship next week, as opposed to "who knows when". Anybody have experience with this Track Connect thing, and am I in for a bad experience when they are installed, as the sensor need to be installed as well?

https://www.michelinman.com/trackconnect.html
Old 08-28-2020, 12:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,947 Likes on 5,343 Posts

If you don't install the sensors I think you can just consider you just paid more money for the tires. The sensor install instructions aren't very clear. At first it looks like the sensor is installed inside the tire. However, the last picture seems to show the sensor on the outside sidewall near the rim but not touching the rim. I don't know how it would provide all of the data it is supposed to provide if it is outside of the tire. The tire jockey will have to be more qualified than the normal tire jockey you find in tire shops. I have run into a number of them that aren't all that sharp.

Bill
Old 08-28-2020, 12:24 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you don't install the sensors I think you can just consider you just paid more money for the tires. The sensor install instructions aren't very clear. At first it looks like the sensor is installed inside the tire. However, the last picture seems to show the sensor on the outside sidewall near the rim but not touching the rim. I don't know how it would provide all of the data it is supposed to provide if it is outside of the tire. The tire jockey will have to be more qualified than the normal tire jockey you find in tire shops. I have run into a number of them that aren't all that sharp.

Bill
Thanks Bill. Good info from a former upstate New Yorker.
My servicing dealer has great Corvette techs and equipment. Good to know I don't have to use the sensors if things get dicey. Again, I'm not a track guy and am willing to pay a bit more to replace the tires and pass inspection.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:30 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

Found a screw in one of my rears and was looking for a replacement & I also seen where no one had any cup 2's in stock. So basically same tire but with optional tire sensor?
Old 08-28-2020, 03:38 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

There's a patch on the inside of the tire. The sensor goes into the patch. It's very simple and you can do that before you take the tire in. The sensor has a line on it that needs to be parallel to the rib on the tire. It also has to be in the correct orientation with the valve stem. You have to buy the track connect kit as well and if I remember correctly it's around 500. You also need to know the serial number for the sensor on each tire unless you have an Ateq tool for setting it up. If you don't track it's a big waste of money.

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 08-28-2020 at 03:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MustOBeenYellow2015Z (08-29-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 03:55 PM
user0405240328
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 147 Posts

Why use Cup 2 if you do not track it? In my personal experience the Super Sport provide superior grip on the street compared to Cup 2.
The following 2 users liked this post by user0405240328:
badhabit_wb (08-28-2020), need-for-speed (08-31-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 04:13 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I use the As3's on the street and cup 2's and ss's on the track.
edster75 (08-30-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 04:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,947 Likes on 5,343 Posts

Originally Posted by khoeysr
I had my 19 Z06 in for its annual inspection and the cup tires won't pass . 4200 miles!!

Anyway, I ordered another set from Tire Rack. They are on backorder with no date in sight. Tire Rack thinks it could be 2 months. There is also a version of the tire with what's called Track Connect, a sensor in each tire that connects with an app for track guys (which I am not) and communicates info about tire pressure to an app. Seems like fun for a non track guy like me. The tires are a few bucks more expensive with this thing.

I changed the order to these because they will ship next week, as opposed to "who knows when". Anybody have experience with this Track Connect thing, and am I in for a bad experience when they are installed, as the sensor need to be installed as well?

Who was doing the inspection? I ran into this a few years ago when I used to run Kumho DOT R tires on my C5. They only had two center grooves that went around the tire and both grooves were above the wear bar. The mechanic at the dealership refused to pass then. Finally the Service Writer got fed up with the guy and told me I would have to take it someplace else for the inspection. He picked up the phone and made a call talked for a couple of minutes and gave me directions to a shop near the dealership. When I got there the owner/mechanic looked at the tires and said I hear you were having a problem with xxxxx passing the tires. Those look fine to me. He put the car up on his lift walked around under it, lowered the car, made out the inspection sticker and said that will be $15 and I was on my way.

Are your Cup2s down to the wear bars? Some mechanics might not pass them because they don't understand the outer part of the tire isn't considered from a street wear standpoint since there is no visible tread there after a few hundred miles.

The problem is it is up to the individual mechanic and what they feel is right. The mechanic at the dealership wouldn't listen to any of the other mechanics who were qualified to do NY State Inspections saying I would pass that. The Service Writer was stuck because he couldn't reassign the car without causing larger issues beyond servicing my car so he took the next best path.

Bill
badhabit_wb (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 04:46 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

I had an inspection station tell me they were going to fail me for tires when the car was new...lol.

Took it to a large Chevy dealer who sells lots of Vettes and used to looking at C2s and was fine for over 3 years and 12000 miles. They still were above the wear bars when I took them off

Find a speed shop or someone familiar with such a tire
khoeysr (08-31-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 06:29 PM
ScottKolek
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Cancel the order and get the all seasons, it's almost winter anyway, and if you don't track the car, you're wasting money. The all seasons are great, read all the people on this forum who rave about them. I've actually used the all seasons on a track too, work very well.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:18 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 790 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

I just got new front MPSS from Discount Tire, they are the new part number and it only took a few days to get them. I would think the rears are available now too. Tire Rack doesn't list them yet, try somewhere else.

Last edited by BearZ06; 08-28-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:21 PM
ScottKolek
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
I just got new front MPSS from Discount Tire, they are the new part number and it only took a few days to get them. I would think the rears are available now too. Tire Rack doesn't list them yet, try somewhere else.
Are they still run flats?
Old 08-28-2020, 07:31 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 790 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Yes, ZP's.
ScottKolek (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 03:17 AM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Tires

Originally Posted by BearZ06
I just got rears new part number, there are plenty of fronts. Took me two weeks to find rears, reply I got from Michelin was that rears are on national back order and could not give dates for availability

Old 08-29-2020, 07:41 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,023 Posts

FYI, track connect models use an updated compound, which is supposed to perform better than regular cup 2, and also more stable when heated. It'd be interesting to try and test these claims.

Last edited by X25; 08-29-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Basil2000 (08-29-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 09:33 AM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Who was doing the inspection? I ran into this a few years ago when I used to run Kumho DOT R tires on my C5. They only had two center grooves that went around the tire and both grooves were above the wear bar. The mechanic at the dealership refused to pass then. Finally the Service Writer got fed up with the guy and told me I would have to take it someplace else for the inspection. He picked up the phone and made a call talked for a couple of minutes and gave me directions to a shop near the dealership. When I got there the owner/mechanic looked at the tires and said I hear you were having a problem with xxxxx passing the tires. Those look fine to me. He put the car up on his lift walked around under it, lowered the car, made out the inspection sticker and said that will be $15 and I was on my way.

Are your Cup2s down to the wear bars? Some mechanics might not pass them because they don't understand the outer part of the tire isn't considered from a street wear standpoint since there is no visible tread there after a few hundred miles.

The problem is it is up to the individual mechanic and what they feel is right. The mechanic at the dealership wouldn't listen to any of the other mechanics who were qualified to do NY State Inspections saying I would pass that. The Service Writer was stuck because he couldn't reassign the car without causing larger issues beyond servicing my car so he took the next best path.

Bill
The inspection was done at the dealership where I bought the car. It's a top 10 Corvette dealer with great Corvette techs. The cost upcharge for getting the Track Connect option was about $140. The car is a Z07 and I want to keep it true to its features so I went with the cups. I will not be installing the Track Connect stuff so perhaps I can sell it all. The tires with Connect are supposed to ship this week; the normal Cups could be months away. When my 2015 Z06 wouldn't pass because of tires, a different dealership was ready to order me a set. I found a better price on Tire Rack. The dealer said they would not honor the lower price and would not install Tire Rack's tires as they did not sell them and couldn't "warranty" them. I had them shipped to a specialty shop that does all kind of specialty tires and rims, no problem. Needless to say, even though that dealer is local, they have seen the last of me.

Thanks for the input, a lot of good stuff here.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:12 AM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Update- the cups with the Track Connect feature were delivered to the dealer last Friday. The cups without Track Connect- no ETA. Same tires- Track Connect option causes quite a difference in delivery times.

Makes you wonder.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:59 AM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Update- the cups with the Track Connect feature were delivered to the dealer last Friday. The cups without Track Connect- no ETA. Same tires- Track Connect option causes quite a difference in delivery times.

Makes you wonder.
Just got a set of MPSS ZPs from the dealership. Tires were manufactured in late June. Had them in 2 days.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:21 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by X25
FYI, track connect models use an updated compound, which is supposed to perform better than regular cup 2, and also more stable when heated. It'd be interesting to try and test these claims.

Sorry I missed this post. So they are not exactly the same tire? I just hope they last more than 4200 miles. And I should state for the record that they failed only the front tires. It's just a thing with me that I never replace less than a full set.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Cup 2 tires with track connect

Quick Reply: Michelin Cup 2 tires with track connect