C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Mobil 1 European car formula

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 10:12 PM
JKU007FL
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 173 Posts

I am new here but not new to internet forums and I realize that it's a touchy subject.
I'm in south Florida where daytime temperatures here are year around above 80 and hotter in summer.

Is 0W-40 still the way to go? What about track days? Filter? GM or Mobil 1?
I'm always looking to do better than factory recommended if possible.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:25 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Zinc and Phosphorus are anti-wear chemistry.
Zinc and Phosphorus can cause cats to fail-after many, many miles IMO.
Zinc and Phosphorus ppm is less in ESP oil than in the European Formula.
Zinc and Phosphorus ppm is higher in Racing Oil, what does this mean

—————————ESP—-European ———Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50
Phosphorus ppm 900——-1000 ——————1750
Zinc ppm ————990——-1100——————-1850

Below is the old Mobil 1 add recommending European Formula 0W-40 for Corvettes.
It’s good oil. I ran it in my 08 Z06 and then in the 13 ZR1 for years, had zero cat problems.

Last edited by BearZ06; 05-13-2020 at 11:46 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BearZ06:
Elk (05-14-2020), juanvaldez (05-14-2020), mjdart (04-08-2021)
Old 05-14-2020, 03:16 AM
GM-4-LIFE
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JKU007FL
I am new here but not new to internet forums and I realize that it's a touchy subject.
I'm in south Florida where daytime temperatures here are year around above 80 and hotter in summer.

Is 0W-40 still the way to go? What about track days? Filter? GM or Mobil 1?
I'm always looking to do better than factory recommended if possible.
Doesn't matter where you live, the new 0W-40 will give you plenty of protection. Only use the new 0W-40 Mobil 1 ESP formula. The new formula is for street AND track. I'd use the OEM filter. Mobil 1 isn't that great of a filter. It's a cellulose blend media and not even a full synthetic filter like the Fram Ultra filters. The OEM filter is more than adequate for how often we all change our oil. We aren't going to go 20K miles between oil changes. As long as the OEM filter can function for 3K-4K miles, I am good. GM's OEM filter has the proper pressure specs that other aftermarket filters don't have. That's another concern of mine. I also don't want any warranty issues where GM will blame me for using an aftermarket oil filter.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:37 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by GM-4-LIFE
Doesn't matter where you live, the new 0W-40 will give you plenty of protection. Only use the new 0W-40 Mobil 1 ESP formula. The new formula is for street AND track. I'd use the OEM filter. Mobil 1 isn't that great of a filter. It's a cellulose blend media and not even a full synthetic filter like the Fram Ultra filters. The OEM filter is more than adequate for how often we all change our oil. We aren't going to go 20K miles between oil changes. As long as the OEM filter can function for 3K-4K miles, I am good. GM's OEM filter has the proper pressure specs that other aftermarket filters don't have. That's another concern of mine. I also don't want any warranty issues where GM will blame me for using an aftermarket oil filter.
Several aftermarket filters have the correct bypass valve spec to include Wix.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:38 AM
sdba11
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
If you're having trouble finding the oil look here.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mobil...ts,371931.html
I second ronsc1985's link to speedway. I ordered their 12quart kit for our engines:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mobil...it,386340.html

OK, $105 for oil + filter is a bit more than whatever a regular trip to Autozone would be - say two gallons of Mobil 1 and filter, around $70-$75... but it's only $30 more, which is less than a tank of gas, and keeps the vehicle exactly (my car is new) to manufacturer's specs for warranty. I'd also remind that we're talking an insanely powered supercar, and as Corvette guys, we do expect our vehicles to be maintained at regular prices... OK, so $105 vs. $60/$70. But can we imagine an oil change on some other exotica that would cost way more than that.

Example: in writing this reply, I just Googled 'oil change lamborghini huracan' and saw prices run a few $1000 (!!!!) for an oil change. And then I saw this video -
- and I had to fast-forward, and then gave up - it looks like it took them 30 minutes just to get to the drain plug!

I love the fact that for our Corvettes, an "expensive" thing is $105 worth of oil for an oil change. I'll take that any day!
The following users liked this post:
JKU007FL (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 09:16 AM
JKU007FL
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 173 Posts

Thank you for your reply. Just got a used 2019 Z06 and dealer changed the oil but I have no clue what oil they put in, I just checked the level and it looks under fill too (but looks new) so I'll be changing it this weekend with M1 0w-40.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:13 PM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ ******
... try extra extra Virgin Mary Mother of God olive oil

I use extra extra extra virgin olive oil with 'extra' zinc. I also put it on my pasta to help me resist a virus. I read on the internet that zinc helps our defense mechanism. My car is full of mechanisms so I figured....
The following users liked this post:
CJ Willys (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 03:10 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Thank you for your reply. Just got a used 2019 Z06 and dealer changed the oil but I have no clue what oil they put in, I just checked the level and it looks under fill too (but looks new) so I'll be changing it this weekend with M1 0w-40.
Don't use the European Formula. That is what is used in Corvettes in Europe and this is America!
Old 05-14-2020, 03:38 PM
GM-4-LIFE
Racer

The dealer you bought the car from should have the service record detailing what they used. I am pretty sure they used the 2019 spec Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP. GM dealers all stock this oil as they are required to do so.

You have to check the oil level with the oil temp at or above 175 degrees. You have to shut the engine off and let the engine sit for 5-10 minutes and then check it. You can't check the oil level when the engine is cold.

Last edited by GM-4-LIFE; 05-14-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:40 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Elk
This is interesting. Please provide some detail.

What oil would destroy an otherwise perfectly good engine? What was specified as correct, what was used, and how did the wrong oil cause the failure?
I believe most people in the industry believe that Caterpillar manufactures some of the finest diesel engines in that manufacturing niche. In the last few decades, they have become very specific as to the spec of the powertrain oils used in their equipment...so specific and concerned that they require powertrain oil samples be taken by the owners and run by the Cat dealer so the results can be fed back to Cat's Engineering group. I can't begin to tell you how many different oil spec changes they have issued over those decades of changes and in most cases have said oils that were perfectly acceptable in yesterday's Cat engines are totally unacceptable in the then current product being produced. In most cases (not all), the new spec oil was acceptable in prior years product. Their engineering group could rattle off all of the reasons the new oils had changed and why they were required and we had customers who felt it was all manufacturer's BS. We saw quite a few engines come in with failures that were termed "lack of lub"....which simply meant there was a lack of oil in the crankcase for any number of reasons OR the oil that was put in the engine did not meet the necessary spec and caused a failure. Engine crankshaft bearing failures where the oil broke down (film strength) due to pressures between the rotating crankshaft and the rod or main bearings causing such violent failures the block was ventilated, piston seizure because the lubrication and cooling effect was not sufficient, cam lobe failures, etc.. On some of the larger engines (rebuild price of a tired, not failed engine was $500-600,000+) the entire engine was so badly damaged, it had to be replaced with new ($1-1.5+ million). It's somewhat true that diesel engines are more abusive than gasoline engines, due to operating pressures, but working with Caterpillar, you get to know and understand those design engineers really know their sh*t....and our better mechanics had the utmost respect for their knowledge and followed their directions for fluids.
Here's a lubrication spec from 2008...and it's waaay out of date, these oils would not comply with today's components. For this reason, I would believe the GM engineers know what they're talking about, who knows, but as an owner, I follow what they recommend.
http://oa.upm.es/14340/2/Documentaci...ns%20Guide.pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by tzoid9:
Elk (05-14-2020), Rod1967 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-14-2020, 03:42 PM
GM-4-LIFE
Racer

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Several aftermarket filters have the correct bypass valve spec to include Wix.
Not taking a chance with aftermarket filters. GM can't deny any warranty claims if you're using the OEM filter. I don't go many miles between oil changes to justify going with extended interval oil filters. Pointless for me. The OEM filter is more than enough for me.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:53 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Not taking a chance with aftermarket filters. GM can't deny any warranty claims if you're using the OEM filter. I don't go many miles between oil changes to justify going with extended interval oil filters. Pointless for me. The OEM filter is more than enough for me.
Why take a chance with aftermarket oil?
Old 05-14-2020, 05:33 PM
GM-4-LIFE
Racer

Why take a chance with aftermarket oil?
Aftermarket oil? LOL!! I use Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP in both of my LT4 engines with OEM filter. Mobil 1 is endorsed by GM. GM doesn't make oil. Come on.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:49 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
I believe most people in the industry believe that Caterpillar manufactures some of the finest diesel engines in that manufacturing niche. In the last few decades, they have become very specific as to the spec of the powertrain oils used in their equipment...so specific and concerned that they require powertrain oil samples be taken by the owners and run by the Cat dealer so the results can be fed back to Cat's Engineering group.
Fascinating information. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2020, 06:21 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Aftermarket oil? LOL!! I use Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP in both of my LT4 engines with OEM filter. Mobil 1 is endorsed by GM. GM doesn't make oil. Come on.
They don't make oil filters, either!
Old 05-14-2020, 06:26 PM
GM-4-LIFE
Racer

They don't make oil filters, either!
The oil filter is a GM branded filter with GM markings and that's all you need. I'm not taking chances.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:33 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

I seem to remember Car and Driver or was it Road and Track testing the new C7. LT1 blew up because of a failed oil filter, probably Mobil 1 or some off brand.

Get notified of new replies

To Mobil 1 European car formula

Old 05-14-2020, 06:54 PM
GM-4-LIFE
Racer

I seem to remember Car and Driver or was it Road and Track testing the new C7. LT1 blew up because of a failed oil filter, probably Mobil 1 or some off brand.
I remember that! If that happens and GM sees an aftermarket oil filter, they automatically deny the warranty claim and you are left holding the bag. If the engine blows up and I have the Delco oil filter, they have to cover it and they will!

Last edited by GM-4-LIFE; 05-14-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:07 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

I remember that! If that happens and GM sees an aftermarket oil filter, they automatically deny the warranty claim and you are left holding the bag. If the engine blows up and I have the Delco oil filter, they have to cover it and they will!
I dodged the bullet. Ran the **** out of my '16 Z51 M7 coupe. Had it to redline before it had 30 miles on it, on the track at Bowling Green before it had 100. Mostly ran Mobil 1 5w30 but also 0w40 European. Ran Wix, PF64 and Pureone. Autocrossed it a bunch, spent a lot of time bounching off the rev limiter. Got a Cow tune and Vararam CAI so warranty is no longer a concern.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:35 PM
vindicator
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I called Mobil 1 and they said definitely use ONLY the ESP mobil 1 and never the european formula in a Corvette. No written warnings
Oddly, the european version is in the stores and all over e bay. I think its easy to choose the wrong oil if you are not paying attention
Lots of parts store people and some techs don t know the difference. When I go to the dealer, I only have a corvette certified tech work on my cars and I talk to the tech and watch him. Shops that say you can t go back I don t use.
Bottom line, I am responsible for my cars and I want everything done right. I am coming up on 10000 mile Oil and filter change on my 19 zo6. I just ordered the correct Oil and filter off e bay. Will use race ramps and some wood and I know that the job will be done right.
Save the wave, John
The following 2 users liked this post by vindicator:
KM1959 (05-27-2020), mjdart (04-08-2021)

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 European car formula