C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Shifting question on the A8 - M to D??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 05:38 PM
Busa196
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Shifting question on the A8 - M to D??

Every other paddle shift car that I’ve owned had the ability to let me manually down shift to the gear selection of your choice (speed permitting obviously), maintain that gear for 3-5 seconds, hammer it, and then the car would upshift itself as it in full D mode - AND- they had the option to go to full M mode where the car would only downshift by itself, but would NOT upshift unless done by the paddle.

My ‘18 A8 Z doesn’t seem to have the first option mentioned above? The second I use the paddle to downshift (to race someone from a roll) the car goes into full M mode and will not upshift by itself. Is that really it? Do I HAVE to either manually shift the car or leave in D for it to upshift when wanting to get into the correct gear for a roll on??

Old 05-06-2020, 06:02 PM
ArcticZ1
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Busa196
Every other paddle shift car that I’ve owned had the ability to let me manually down shift to the gear selection of your choice (speed permitting obviously), maintain that gear for 3-5 seconds, hammer it, and then the car would upshift itself as it in full D mode - AND- they had the option to go to full M mode where the car would only downshift by itself, but would NOT upshift unless done by the paddle.

My ‘18 A8 Z doesn’t seem to have the first option mentioned above? The second I use the paddle to downshift (to race someone from a roll) the car goes into full M mode and will not upshift by itself. Is that really it? Do I HAVE to either manually shift the car or leave in D for it to upshift when wanting to get into the correct gear for a roll on??
Drop the car into manual mode, select the desired gear and the second you punch it, push the selector back in drive. Works for me.
The following users liked this post:
23/C8Z (05-07-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 09:32 PM
Chonger
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ1
Drop the car into manual mode, select the desired gear and the second you punch it, push the selector back in drive. Works for me.
This is the absolute best way to accelerate from a roll........If done right it works flawlessly. Stay away from the paddle shifters leave the car in D for best acceleration.

Another method is to stomp on the accelerator for a split second and the car will down shift and hold that gear for about 2-3- seconds, then accelerate.

The M to D method is best though.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:34 AM
pk2401
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

You can also pull and hold the downshift lever and it will put you to the lowest gear for your speed.
The following users liked this post:
VNAMVET (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 10:39 AM
Busa196
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ1
Ok, appreciate that 👍 I figured there was an easier way than changing the cars shifting mode mid-acceleration, but I guess not.

Get notified of new replies

To Shifting question on the A8 - M to D??

Quick Reply: Shifting question on the A8 - M to D??