C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7Z owners - HP Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 10:32 AM
DonC6LS3
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C7Z owners - HP Tuner

How many C7Z owners are tuning themselves using HPTuners?
Ive been to HP tuners forum and there doesn't seem to be many C7Z guys over there.
Is there a forum or page Ive not seen to be able to post/read with other C7Z owner/tuners?
Old 11-15-2019, 11:16 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Default tuning

Originally Posted by DonC6LS3
Ive been to HP tuners forum and there doesn't seem to be many C7Z guys over there.
Is there a forum or page Ive not seen to be able to post/read with other C7Z owner/tuners?
I have a HP Tuner. I have about 12 different tunes that I can choose from. A few for " hot tracks " a couple for nitrous and a few for autoX, road racing and a couple for street driving. I didn't do the tuning, a local guy near me did and Alex Peitz did a little for me at the Optima event in Colorado a couple of years back. So I can't be of much help, but thought you might like to have the same options. Alex does tuning schools. I wish I had the time to go to one of them, but my schedule just won't allow it. I've talked to some guys that have and they all absolutely loved it. He did a great job and they learned a lot. My local guy does a great job as well, but I don't think offers any instructions beyond how he showed me to select which one I wanted.
I don't see anything about where you are. Maybe ask around your area or get in touch with Alex about his classes. Just let me know if you need his contact info or if you wanted my local guy's info.

Last edited by Thomasmoto; 11-15-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:30 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 849 Posts

I have HPTuners and tune my own C7 Z06. But I've also been tuning cars for almost 20 years now. Started back when LT1 Edit was the only thing around. The new Torque based ECU's are far more complex than even the LS1/LS6 stuff and it's not an easy learning curve. You won't find very many "self tuners" these days on the new platforms.
The following 2 users liked this post by Internets_Ninja:
NortonCO (11-16-2019), usrodeo4 (11-16-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 01:48 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

There are plenty of GenV ECM tuners but most don't post much on HPT as once we worked through the teething issues there's not much to talk about. The platform isn't old enough yet for a huge amount of people like a GenIII or now GenIV stuff.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:22 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by DonC6LS3
Yes like Higgs and the others eluded to.
The info you seek will be under the "GM V8 Tuning - Engine, Gas (Gen 5)".
You wont find a section dedicated to the C7 or the LT engines per say.

Again you will have to read and reread as the learning curve is steep for the torque based controllers.
That being said you should be ok if you read and have an understanding of the PCM control logic.
We know a lot more than we did 7 or 8 years ago, but there is still a bunch to learn.

https://forum.hptuners.com/forumdisp...e-Gas-(Gen-5)&
Old 11-15-2019, 09:01 PM
Prop Job
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 180 Posts

After spending $2k on tuning with two different shops and still having an unfinished tune I decided to learn it myself. The guys over on hptuners forum are very tight lipped on the gen 5 tuning, they all think they're going to become millionaires or something with their gen 5 tuning knowledge so they are very reluctant to share.

My advice would be to start doing as much research as you can and start with going back and forth with remote tuning with a shop like Vengeance until you understand the software well enough to fine tune it yourself.

It takes a significant amount of time to dial these things in, drivability wise, WOT is fairly simple. The shops that are crapping out a tune for you in a couple hours will be about a 25% solution, if you're lucky.

Last edited by Prop Job; 11-15-2019 at 10:48 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Prop Job:
djyankees31 (08-31-2022), JasonVette (08-31-2022), orrwhat (11-15-2019), SteenC7Z (02-12-2021)
Old 11-15-2019, 10:38 PM
orrwhat
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

I totally agree with Prop Job! Ive paid the local tune shop on 4 or 5 cars to get a half assed tune each time. I have resorted to email tuning to fix the local shop tunes twice.
On this car I am going to try figure this stuff out if I can. Goat Roap Garage on YouTube has a lot of valuable information along with TheTuningSchool but not as much.

Last edited by orrwhat; 11-15-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:43 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Prop Job
After spending $2k on tuning with two different shops and still having an unfinished tune I decided to learn it myself. The guys over on hptuners forum are very tight lipped on the gen 5 tuning, they all think they're going to become millionaires or something with their gen 5 tuning knowledge so they are very reluctant to share.

My advice would be to start doing as much research as you can and start with going back and forth with remote tuning with a shop like Vengeance until you understand the software well enough to fine tune it yourself.

It takes a significant amount of time to dial these things in, drivability wise, WOT is fairly simple. The shops that are crapping out a tune for you in a couple hours will be about a 25% solution, if you're lucky.
I don't think it's about the money at all. No one wants to answer posts like, "Hey how do you tune these cars???? Can anyone post a file????" Especially when there are discussions searchable and readable for 6 years.....
Specific questions or observations are better to elicit specific conversations/responses.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:30 AM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

I've been tuning my own LS1, LS3 cars for almost 15 years now. I've only recently started looking at the GenV of my LT4 and there's a lot more involved due to the torque management. I'm in the same situation, I want to tune it, but there's no definite guides of things to change outside the minor tweaks. Getting drivability down is long process and even as of last year I still made minor adjustments to my LS3 to nail down some small hot start stalling issues.

I think outside of "how do I ensure my WOT is safe" there isn't a lot of information on GenV to balance the TM and more power to keep it livable. If anything, its a ton of trial and error which is not really documented by anyone at this time.

Last edited by SladeX; 11-16-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:39 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I don't think it's about the money at all. No one wants to answer posts like, "Hey how do you tune these cars???? Can anyone post a file????" Especially when there are discussions searchable and readable for 6 years.....
Specific questions or observations are better to elicit specific conversations/responses.
Thats BS and you know it. He was spot on. You’d be lucky to get some hints by reading the gen5 forum. The threads that get specific are a bunch of arguing. Nobody reaches a conclusion. Look at the stickies. Zero direction. The help files have Jack ****.

Compare that to years past. Tuning 101 guides, people posting complete tunes, etc.

I’m learning now. I will be sharing all learned.

if profits are what it’s about that’s perfectly fine, but ******* own it. That’s not directed just at you but everyone who is making money on this directly without any contribution to the community.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:01 PM
usrodeo4
Drifting

Received 701 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
I have HPTuners and tune my own C7 Z06. But I've also been tuning cars for almost 20 years now. Started back when LT1 Edit was the only thing around. The new Torque based ECU's are far more complex than even the LS1/LS6 stuff and it's not an easy learning curve. You won't find very many "self tuners" these days on the new platforms.
True...most high end tuning today involves taking Torque out at key moments to save the engine.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:24 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by user_name
Thats BS and you know it. He was spot on. You’d be lucky to get some hints by reading the gen5 forum. The threads that get specific are a bunch of arguing. Nobody reaches a conclusion. Look at the stickies. Zero direction. The help files have Jack ****.

Compare that to years past. Tuning 101 guides, people posting complete tunes, etc.

I’m learning now. I will be sharing all learned.

if profits are what it’s about that’s perfectly fine, but ******* own it. That’s not directed just at you but everyone who is making money on this directly without any contribution to the community.
very hostile, lol.

we are talking about tuning or daddy issues?

again, it's not about the money, that's just what people want to blame it on when they want to learn to tune on the most complex system GM has brought out so far and they don't get spoon fed.

please, DO share what you find, I am very curious to see your solutions. And I mean that in a sincere way. PM me the link to your thread when it's ready, I don't want to miss it.

edit: and just for your record.....I am not a tuner. I taught myself to tune many years ago because the local tuners couldn't get it done on my 01 Z06. So it's NOT about money because I don't make any from tuning. occasionally I have helped others with their tunes.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 11-16-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-31-2022, 07:11 AM
NashZ06
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I see it's been a while. Did anyone ever get anywhere with tuning?
Old 08-31-2022, 03:12 PM
JasonVette
Drifting

Received 1,211 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by NashZ06
With self tuning? Because tons of cars are tuned today...
Originally Posted by Prop Job
After spending $2k on tuning with two different shops and still having an unfinished tune I decided to learn it myself.

This is still so true years later. Spent money twice on a tune only to find out it was only good at WOT. Drivability was so terrible. From rolling coal to stalling at lights. New tuner spent hours street tuning it with me and turned it into a new car.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:30 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by NashZ06
Do you have specific questions?

Many of us in this thread had been tinkering with the tunes in Z06's for years prior to this thread being started.
The following users liked this post:
NashZ06 (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 03:33 PM
NashZ06
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a 2019 z06. I have installed a afe cai. Looking for advice on best tuner to run E85. Future mods being exhaust, pulley, meth and anything else recommended.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:50 PM
9sec
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonVette
With self tuning? Because tons of cars are tuned today...

This is still so true years later. Spent money twice on a tune only to find out it was only good at WOT. Drivability was so terrible. From rolling coal to stalling at lights. New tuner spent hours street tuning it with me and turned it into a new car.
my tuner sounds the first day going over the car mechanically to make sure theres no leaks oil vacuum etc. then 2 days street tuning for the best drivability. THEN and only then after the car runs great on the street does he strap it down to his mainline hub dyno and tun e for power. 800$ and worth every penny and the cars run better than they did when new. no way I could ever learn what he already knows
The following users liked this post:
Thomasmoto (08-31-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 09:51 AM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

The street tune has been problematic for over 20 years since I started messing with gen 1 blocks. Majority of places will get your dyno numbers right, but street tuning takes a lot of messing around to cover a lot of the weather and driving conditions you may encounter. On gen3/4 I was doing my own street tunes for my car and spent the time it took to get the situations I had datalogged, checked with forum resources for pointers and updated my tune as necessary to clear the situation. So pretty much, it's worth it to get hp tuners and once you have settled on the mods, prepare to do some data logging and just keep coming back here and the hp tuners forum to get pointers to fix whatever you encounter. If you do find one of those gem of a tuners whole datalog and fix your street tune, like 9sec, go for it, but that's the exception, not the norm for most tuners.

Get notified of new replies

To C7Z owners - HP Tuner

Quick Reply: C7Z owners - HP Tuner