C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Patching/Plugging run flat PSS tire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 10:41 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 740 Likes on 486 Posts

Many tyre shops will say no to a plug/patch on these tyres, even though Michelin allow it as long as the damage is small and isn’t close to the sidewall, simply because they don’t want to take the time dismounting/mounting a ZP tyre. These tyres really are a PITA for most shops to work with, and they aren’t willing to do the repair for $20 due to the time it normally takes.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:45 AM
usrodeo4
Drifting

Received 701 Likes on 373 Posts

Thanks for the replies gentlemen...I spoke with my local GY store manager and he said they would patch/plug.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:05 PM
Dale06
Pro

Received 314 Likes on 164 Posts

I had a nail in one of my Goodyear run flats. Went to Goodyear in Minnetonka, Mn.. they would not touch it. Called another Goodyear dealer nearby and they said “ sure bring it in”.
i did and they invited me to watch them fix it. They used a plug patch, kind of a combination of a plug and a patch. Tire ran many more miles after the repair.

As a side note. I had a nail near the sidewall of a almost new tire on my 2019 silverado. Nobody would plug it. So I bought a plug kit. Plugged it and it’s run over 10,000 more miles.

Last edited by Dale06; 11-02-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:17 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Many people myself included have ran plug/patch tires on the street and the track no problems. I’ve been over 150mph on them no issues. Michelin says it’s ok and maintains the speed rating. Think about how big a tire is and how small a single nail or screw puncture is. But people continue to throw them away cheaply, I pick them up as street spares or track spares depending on cup2 or MPSS.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:48 PM
RWSjr
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hebegb
I've plugged tires on several vehicles as well as two different vettes. This includes both rears on the original set of MPSSs on my current Z06. I used the standard plug kit from Autozone. Never had them patched and never had them leak. One of the punctures on my Z06 occured with about 500 miles on the tire. It was still holding air when I replaced it after almost 13,000 miles. As long as the puncture is not close to the sidewall, I say if you aren't going to track the car consider repairing it yourself if no one will do it for you.
Similiar story for me on PS2's. Plugged rear lasted 17,000 miles and down to the cords, never leaked. Btw the hole was from a 9/16" bolt and had to put in 3 maybe 4 plugs in at same time. (Was in Texas at night on way home to St. Louis with no shops open so no choice).
Did not think it would hold, was just hoping to keep enough air to get to next town/air hose just to make it home, But it never lost any air and went the life of tire. Even had a few runs at drag strip, burn outs and all. Not at all saying that's the recommended thing to do for that big of hole, just saying plugs do work. Have had many tires plugged. Most never leaked, a couple had to be re-done cuz of slow leak, but most of the time it's plug it and done.
. YRMV....
The following users liked this post:
hebegb (11-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Patching/Plugging run flat PSS tire?