C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Help!? 2017 Z06/Z07 pkg surges right before coming to complete stop....

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 10:31 AM
WELOVEVETTES
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Help!? 2017 Z06/Z07 pkg surges right before coming to complete stop....

Ok so I just purchased a 17 Z06 with 3400 miles. Car is in mint condition. It has Z07 pkg. This is my 5th Z06 but first with Z07. The car drives and shifts perfect but noticed yesterday on numerous occasions that when I would come to a stop it would feel like the car was lunging or surging right before coming to complete stop. Only seem to do it if I was coming to stop from say 30 or 35 mph and above. My first thought was maybe the brakes were sticking but since it really only did it from higher speeds where tranny had shifted up through gears then I’m afraid it’s in the transmission . I know there are numerous topics about the A8 and issues but I’ve had multiple vettes and Z06’s with A8 and zero problem. I’m afraid maybe this one has one of the issues. Please advise with similar problem. I’m seriously dreading having to take and leave with service guys at chevy store....

Thanks in advance!

David

Last edited by WELOVEVETTES; 10-03-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:45 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by WELOVEVETTES
Ok so I just purchased a 17 Z06 with 3400 miles. Car is in mint condition. It has Z07 pkg. This is my 5th Z06 but first with Z07. The car drives and shifts perfect but noticed yesterday on numerous occasions that when I would come to a stop it would feel like the car was lunging or surging right before coming to complete stop. Only seem to do it if I was coming to stop from say 30 or 35 mph and above. My first thought was maybe the brakes were sticking but since it really only did it from higher speeds where tranny had shifted up through gears then I’m afraid it’s in the transmission . I know there are numerous topics about the A8 and issues but I’ve had multiple vettes and Z06’s with A8 and zero problem. I’m afraid maybe this one has one of the issues. Please advise with similar problem. I’m seriously dreading having to take and leave with service guys at chevy store....

Thanks in advance!

David
it's definitely the z07 spring causing this. (Kidding) completely unrelated to your suspension. It's under warranty so just go to the dealer and let them break I mean fix it.

Last edited by Pacembellum; 10-03-2019 at 11:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
B747VET (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 12:02 PM
stone150
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Were you driving spirited or had it in sport/track mode?
In my 16 CTS-V with the A8, if you are or were driving spirited and have it full auto and track or sport mode, it will downshift to add engine brake as you brake, at the last second it will shift and cause the car to surge at the last moment. This happens if you were driving spirited that moment or anytime within the last minute or so.
Harbgrogan (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 01:59 PM
WELOVEVETTES
Pro

Originally Posted by stone150
Were you driving spirited or had it in sport/track mode?
In my 16 CTS-V with the A8, if you are or were driving spirited and have it full auto and track or sport mode, it will downshift to add engine brake as you brake, at the last second it will shift and cause the car to surge at the last moment. This happens if you were driving spirited that moment or anytime within the last minute or so.

Thanks for response . I drive like a granny . Actually had in Touring mode.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:18 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

. a 17 Z06 with 3400 miles. Car is in mint condition
actually a mint condition car does not lurch. A used car is just a puzzle to determine what was the problem which motivated the last owner to sell it. Take it back if you can. Fix it if the dealer can. Or just enjoy your new BFF:

Old 10-03-2019, 05:38 PM
WELOVEVETTES
Pro

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
actually a mint condition car does not lurch. A used car is just a puzzle to determine what was the problem which motivated the last owner to sell it. Take it back if you can. Fix it if the dealer can. Or just enjoy your new BFF:

Got some comedians on here 😊 It’s under warranty so no reason for someone to dump as you implied. THE ONLY reason I took the time to post this question was to see if anyone had experienced the same thing. Thanks for the input to the jokesters.

Last edited by WELOVEVETTES; 10-03-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:04 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

To isolate brakes from tranny, bring the car up to speed, shift into neutral and brake to a stop.
WELOVEVETTES (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 11:16 PM
ttomczak
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

So I will say, in manual mode, downshifting to second, I do get a slight surge... This only began after I put on a ported throttle body... Does not happen in automatic mode.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Thanks in advance!

David
David,
I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the brakes. They are brakes just line any other brake with the only difference the rotors are ceramic. I suspect it may have more to do with emissions programming than anything else. GM may be increasing throttle opening just a smidge to permit more air in the final stages of the vehicle slowing. Some manufacturers have programmed in things like this to change the particles per million. More air in reduces the particles per million which may mean they pass that part of the EPA drive cycle test. If you don't have any codes I doubt there is much anybody can do about it if the car is left stock.

Since some codes don't light the CEL it is worth a trip to the dealer to have them look at it. Just describe what is happening and that you feel it is unusual. Remember others may not even notice what you are noticing. If others have noticed then GM may have a solution developed for the car. It could be different than other C7s you have owned if they were prior year models.

Bill
WELOVEVETTES (10-07-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 04:15 PM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks in advance!

David

My 17 Z07 M7 does this too. My car is stock. It definitely feels like the throttle is being opened for a split second before shutting off (my foot is on the brakes and off the throttle by this point). Not sure if this is a part of the stock tune or if there's an issue with the car.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:27 PM
user0405240328
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 148 Posts

I have a 2016 Z06/Z07 A8 and I encounter the same issue sporadically. It's maybe only 10% of the time it occurs. For me, seems to happen only when doing moderately fast braking down to a complete stop (as in when approaching a red light). There is a forward surge just before reaching a full stop. It's as if it shifts down into 1st slightly too early. I only drive in Tour mode on the street. Again, doesn't happen every time. It can happen in either "D" or "M". Car is completely stock except for a Range device in OBD2 port.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:54 AM
WELOVEVETTES
Pro

Originally Posted by user0405240328
I have a 2016 Z06/Z07 A8 and I encounter the same issue sporadically. It's maybe only 10% of the time it occurs. For me, seems to happen only when doing moderately fast braking down to a complete stop (as in when approaching a red light). There is a forward surge just before reaching a full stop. It's as if it shifts down into 1st slightly too early. I only drive in Tour mode on the street. Again, doesn't happen every time. It can happen in either "D" or "M". Car is completely stock except for a Range device in OBD2 port.

Thanks for the input guys. I’m gonna run by dealer one day soon and have my service guy ride with me and see what they say. Will update here when I get more info.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:37 PM
S.FLA..Z06
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I’m gonna run by dealer one day soon and have my service guy ride with me and see what they say. Will update here when I get more info.

Got a 16z w z07 and have same issue asell , not all the time but def happens! last time it happenned i actually thought i got rear ended ! kinda just learned to live w it , not all time and not terr , i just assoc it w a Chevy z thing lol

Neil
WELOVEVETTES (10-10-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 08:47 PM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

It’s the A8. My truck and car did it. The car quit after transmission flush for shudder. Traded 2019 AT4 iN and told them to light a match.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:35 PM
user0405240328
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by grocerygetter
It’s the A8. My truck and car did it. The car quit after transmission flush for shudder.
Are you saying that the problem went away after doing a transmission flush?
Old 10-10-2019, 06:27 AM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, after hard driving it will always do it. It’s just the adaptives and they are engaging engine braking. But always doing it...yes that went away after the flush. But I don’t think it was the flush as much as it may have been the reflash with it. My truck was also A8 and it did it every time you stopped until you went out and flogged it good. Then it would be ok for a while. I really think it’s the adaptives in the A8. Just sharing my recent experience, that’s all.

Get notified of new replies

To Help!? 2017 Z06/Z07 pkg surges right before coming to complete stop....

Quick Reply: Help!? 2017 Z06/Z07 pkg surges right before coming to complete stop....