C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z vs. other fun street cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 09:01 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 641 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
​​​​​​Callaway 757? Basically a zr1 in power with terrible drag? Maybe. A 600 rwhp c6z is a weapon. People are seeing 165 with them at half miles. Manual c7 zr1s are maybe at 162...

I love my c7z but I know at high speed, they are no match for any modified c6z
Uh, huh..,
The following users liked this post:
SpeedyVette (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 02:04 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
I totally know where you're coming from. I spent years there.

Why do you think a huge pickup is, in any way, "practical"? "Fun"? Nope. Big and cumbersome? Yup. Go off road? In a huge pickup? Not a good choice. Find an old CJ. Unless your fun includes towing a boat, jet skies, or dirt bikes, I really don't know why anyone would own a pickup. Although if you're under 5'7" or like to wear baseball caps backwards, I can see why, but everyone else can too

If you want "useable" and fun. Consider a wide-body Challenger with at least a Scat Pack. At least there is a back seat that your friends can sit in. It's big, but it's way smaller than a pickup.
Well in my case, I would actually use the Silverado for home Depot runs. Drywall, siding, plywood.. etc would all fit in the full-size pickup bed. The taco bed is kind of too small to actually be usable. I am always remodeling something and I am always at the mercy of home Depot rental truck availability.

The LTZ silverados actually have optional HUD and 360 cameras. That appeals to me

Last edited by mammoth713; 10-07-2019 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:01 PM
stone150
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
I currently own a stock c5z. Im considering buying another sports car and selling my c5z. It's my DD and I rarely track the car (once a year at best). Or I might just do nothing.

Here is my short list of cars I'm considering buying and then selling my c5z:
  • 2017+ c7z m7 2lt w/steel rotors (no z07 package)
  • 2013-2014 gt500 mustang
  • 2012-2013 boss 302 mustang
  • C7 z51 m7 2lt
  • Just keeping c5z and do nothin

Have any of you guys owned these cars at the same time and provide me real world STREET comparisons. When I tracked my c5z few years ago I was stuck behind boss 302, don't know if driver sucked. But I am not as concerned with track performance right now, I care more about fun to drive on street.

My impressions based on test drives and/or reading:
  • 2013-2014 gt500 - a lot of power.. almost as much $ as c7z tho.. and I am under the impression c7z sounds a lot better. On the street they probably feel roughly as fast as each other.
  • Boss302 - One thing that appeals to me is the price (used $25-30k) + stock side pipes... I think that'd be a lot of fun on the street.
  • C7z - I'm worried the long gears, expensive wide tires, bent rim issues, are going to be a pain in *** to deal with after shelling out ~$65k for the car. The long gears will probably be pain in *** in traffic. The parking cameras would be nice for my tight garage. The sound of c7z is probably best OEM stock exhaust sound ever tho and the looks are great..
  • C7 z51 m7 2lt - the parking cameras would be nice for my tight garage. I'm worried if I bought this car it wouldn't feel "special" enough to me.. I like the fact the rims are narrower and cheaper tires but at same time obviously doesn't look as good as the GS or z06. On paper it's plenty fast on street but when I test drove one it just didn't FEEL fast. Idk...
  • My c5z - generally comfortable but the interior definitely rattles. That's part of the car's character and why it feels "racecar"... Even my c5z is almost too fast for street. The tires and consumables are cheap tho. The sound honestly isnt great unless WOT. I have Corsa Xtreme catback. I had the BB bullets when I bought car from previous owner and didn't like that sound either, was just loud all the time. The short gears make the car fine in traffic.

I tend to not mod my cars; I prefer to just pay more $ upfront for the better car. So, I tend to keep everything pretty stock with exception of rims/catback swap out.

Im just looking for opinions from ACTUAL OWNERS of these cars listed and any comparisons you personally had between them on the street.

Thanks
I think I go through similar discussions once a week
Recently I traded my 08 Z06 in for a 17' Z06, I like the new car for tech, interior quality, and what not, but I miss my old Z06. The LS7 was more savage, the new one is faster, especially around a road course, but straightline I'm not as blown away. Then again I DD a 16' cts-v. I wanted to get a car that I could take to road courses and didn't want to take the 08 for various reasons. I ended up tracking my 16' CTS-V most of the time.
I have a 18' Sierra w/6.2, 17' Z06, 16" CTS-V, and an older truck. With a new track car I debate trading in the CTS-V for an Escalade or yukon denali with a supercharger.
The older gen Mustangs are good, had a S197 and it was fun, but I wouldn't go back.
I've debated looking at a GT350 or Zl1, but can't pull the trigger.

If there is nothing you hate about the C5Z, keep it. I'm on the hunt for a C6Z
Old 10-10-2019, 12:13 PM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 202 Posts

I am a very lucky guy and have a 19 Z06 vert and a 17 4Runner Limited. No the 4R is not fast but it does what I bought it for extremely well. It is comfortable down the road and navigates Iowas' snow covered Winters with aplomb. The Z sleeps during the cold nastiness while the 4R does its' thing. In the Summer top down on the Z. Best of both worlds.
The following 2 users liked this post by GS583:
mammoth713 (10-11-2019), NortonCO (10-18-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 12:19 PM
EXCUSES.Z06
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Along with my c7z I also have a Header/Tune GT350 -- I would absolutely take that over everything on your list aside from the Z.
mammoth713 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 02:58 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I have test driven multiple c7z's.. I just cant remember the answer to my question

You're misunderstanding my question. What is the slowest MPH that 1st gear can run with your foot fully off the clutch and the motor idling? I'm guessing it's somewhere around 8mph? For example if you're in traffic and crawling at slowest possible 1st gear speed with your foot off clutch
I will test and get the speed- but know this, the C7Z is a PITA in traffic for the very reason you describe. I need everyone to be rolling at a minimum speed to spare the clutch work. My minimum rolling speed is a lot higher than the vehicles around me and I get clutch chatter in this scenario as well.

Listen to Mr. Gizmo. I too should have stayed with the C6Z. The LT4 is bland and uninspiring. The LS7 is the gem if you actually wind your car to redline regularly. Don't get me wrong, C7Z is nicer inside and the (competition) seats are better and the torque is great in traffic and a better daily and so on, but if your Z06 is more a purpose built tool for driving hard then the older car is simply more fun to drive on account of the engine and lighter weight.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:34 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
I will test and get the speed- but know this, the C7Z is a PITA in traffic for the very reason you describe. I need everyone to be rolling at a minimum speed to spare the clutch work. My minimum rolling speed is a lot higher than the vehicles around me and I get clutch chatter in this scenario as well.

Listen to Mr. Gizmo. I too should have stayed with the C6Z. The LT4 is bland and uninspiring. The LS7 is the gem if you actually wind your car to redline regularly. Don't get me wrong, C7Z is nicer inside and the (competition) seats are better and the torque is great in traffic and a better daily and so on, but if your Z06 is more a purpose built tool for driving hard then the older car is simply more fun to drive on account of the engine and lighter weight.
yep. The c6z is more fun to drive. That’s the best way to describe it. We are just splitting atoms saying the c7z is better or faster then the c6z or vice versa

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 10-14-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:16 PM
SpeedyVette
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
yep. The c6z is more fun to drive. That’s the best way to describe it. We are just splitting atoms saying the c7z is better or faster then the c6z or vice versa
SPLITTING ATOMS? HAHA! Still on the C6 Z06! The C7Z06 is far the better car and the better driver with the better handing and interior continue in your own little worldl!

Last edited by SpeedyVette; 10-18-2019 at 03:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpeedyVette:
dvilin (10-17-2019), Harbgrogan (10-16-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 12:06 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

I honestly am not interested in c6z.. I was somewhat interested in c6 zr1 but I think if I'm dropping >$50k into a newer corvette I'd just do c7z or c7 zr1 IMO
Harbgrogan (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 12:07 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rwheelz

yeah you sound like you get what im talking about with my traffic concern and the gearing. People on here must not know what real traffic is like (I live in LA) or don't DD their Vette enough to know what I'm probing at

If I just would get my *** out of bed and go to work earlier then it wouldn't be an issue lol

Last edited by mammoth713; 10-17-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:43 PM
SpeedyVette
Melting Slicks

yeah you sound like you get what im talking about with my traffic concern and the gearing. People on here must not know what real traffic is like (I live in LA) or don't DD their Vette enough to know what I'm probing at

If I just would get my *** out of bed and go to work earlier then it wouldn't be an issue lol
If you wanted a Corvette to drive in bumper to bumper as a daily. Just get the C7Z06 in the A8. To cruise and enjoy as weekend cruiser get the M7. Tough choice!
AZGASSER (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 12:45 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SpeedyVette
If you wanted a Corvette to drive in bumper to bumper as a daily. Just get the C7Z06 in the A8. To cruise and enjoy as weekend cruiser get the M7. Tough choice!
The automatic isn't even in consideration
NortonCO (10-18-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 01:31 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

The automatic isn't even in consideration
Interesting. My situation was in the same church, but a different pew. I wanted and ordered the M7 transmission in my new 2016 Z06. Probably for emissions concerns and it has been well documented, the low end hesitation/bog in the 2016 Z06 engine (may be with other years and/or in the A8's back then, don't know) made it very difficult to drive that car in hilly, stop light areas, where starting clutch engagement was required on an uphill road. I've been driving standard transmission in many high performance cars over the last 50+ years (just got rid of my Challenger Hellcat with an M6 trans) and the '06 Z06 was a very stall-able car....did it more times than I care to think about as did the trained Z06 mechanic at my dealership. Got this 2018 with the A8 and she's a blast to drive...yep, shifting was probably more fun, but going faster and jumping on the car at 40 mph, the A8 is quicker. Yes it is a slush box when using the paddles, but hammer down, it's brutally quick. I understand not wanting an A8, but I also can understand not wanting the M7. To each his own...........
Old 10-17-2019, 05:24 PM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I honestly am not interested in c6z.. I was somewhat interested in c6 zr1 but I think if I'm dropping >$50k into a newer corvette I'd just do c7z or c7 zr1 IMO
how tf are you getting into a c7zr1 if your budget is 50k? Lol

Here's a c7z that's 53k: https://www.hgreg.com/used-car?q=331...n=low_retarget
whoops it's an auto

Last edited by serpent; 10-17-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:18 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyVette
Then again why are you driving a Vette in bumper to bumper traffic imo...
serpent (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 09:40 PM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
exactly dailying your car gets old quick. Save the nice car for the weekends and get a beater for weekdays. I'm almost done paying for the weekend car, now I'm looking at cars with decent mpg like the c43 amg to replace the beater. I'd get a atsv, found somethings I didnt like, like the infotainment system is trash. Trunk is small too, does worse than c43 in mpg.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:06 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by serpent
how tf are you getting into a c7zr1 if your budget is 50k? Lol

Here's a c7z that's 53k: https://www.hgreg.com/used-car?q=331...n=low_retarget
whoops it's an auto
My comment on zr1 I meant I guess if I was to wait another year or so and prices might come down more around $100k
serpent (10-18-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z vs. other fun street cars

Old 10-17-2019, 11:11 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
Originally Posted by serpent
exactly dailying your car gets old quick. Save the nice car for the weekends and get a beater for weekdays. I'm almost done paying for the weekend car, now I'm looking at cars with decent mpg like the c43 amg to replace the beater. I'd get a atsv, found somethings I didnt like, like the infotainment system is trash. Trunk is small too, does worse than c43 in mpg.
It's not literally bumper to bumper traffic the whole way.

I have done the analysis and whatever of if I bought an actually fuel efficient DD and everytime it ends up basically yes I'd save $ on gas but do I really want to drive that mpg ca daily if I own a z06...? Hell no. Plus reg/ins on that DD immediately negate the mpg savings

Plus I don't live super far from work so mpg aren't really a driving concern of mine I guess.

BUT I have considered buying a 4runner/Tacoma/Silverado to fill that multipurpose sometimes-DD sometimes hauler role...

Our yearly registration prices are so asinine out here in CA that I do not want to be paying reg/ins on a mpg DD if I do not enjoy the car, if that makes sense... I'd rather a burly fun Tacoma with a small lift to give a stark driving contrast vs my z06 (whatever generation Vette I have at the time).

​​​​​Finally, life is too short to have boring cars.. what if I died tomorrow? I want to enjoy driving a z06 if I own it, you know? Previous owner never even took mine in rain before. LOL

Last edited by mammoth713; 10-17-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:13 AM
SpeedyVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tzoid9
Interesting. My situation was in the same church, but a different pew. I wanted and ordered the M7 transmission in my new 2016 Z06. Probably for emissions concerns and it has been well documented, the low end hesitation/bog in the 2016 Z06 engine (may be with other years and/or in the A8's back then, don't know) made it very difficult to drive that car in hilly, stop light areas, where starting clutch engagement was required on an uphill road. I've been driving standard transmission in many high performance cars over the last 50+ years (just got rid of my Challenger Hellcat with an M6 trans) and the '06 Z06 was a very stall-able car....did it more times than I care to think about as did the trained Z06 mechanic at my dealership. Got this 2018 with the A8 and she's a blast to drive...yep, shifting was probably more fun, but going faster and jumping on the car at 40 mph, the A8 is quicker. Yes it is a slush box when using the paddles, but hammer down, it's brutally quick. I understand not wanting an A8, but I also can understand not wanting the M7. To each his own...........
17 and up have no bog on idle and the 2019 Z is amazing!
Old 10-18-2019, 03:21 AM
SpeedyVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stone150
I think I go through similar discussions once a week
Recently I traded my 08 Z06 in for a 17' Z06, I like the new car for tech, interior quality, and what not, but I miss my old Z06. The LS7 was more savage, the new one is faster, especially around a road course, but straightline I'm not as blown away. Then again I DD a 16' cts-v. I wanted to get a car that I could take to road courses and didn't want to take the 08 for various reasons. I ended up tracking my 16' CTS-V most of the time.
I have a 18' Sierra w/6.2, 17' Z06, 16" CTS-V, and an older truck. With a new track car I debate trading in the CTS-V for an Escalade or yukon denali with a supercharger.
The older gen Mustangs are good, had a S197 and it was fun, but I wouldn't go back.
I've debated looking at a GT350 or Zl1, but can't pull the trigger.

If there is nothing you hate about the C5Z, keep it. I'm on the hunt for a C6Z
Just put an Halltech or AFE intake on the old 17 Z06 and report back! I think you will have a better opinion! My experience is the C7z6 is far better faster car.
the only thing the C6Z06 has is a little less weight. Weight is important!

Quick Reply: C7 Z vs. other fun street cars