C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Issues with my 2016 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 11:28 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Issues with my 2016 Z06

I am having four issues concerning my 2016 Z06, one of which I have decided what to do about, that I want to comment on here. Feel free to comment back.
1. I have been trying for almost 2 months to arrange with Weapon X (Ben) to have them give me a date to install a second meth nozzle and retune my Z06 without success. This is a communications problem as I have specifically asked to be reached by phone directly or by e-mail, not by texting. I have decided to move on and find another tuner (Shane Hines probably) and I will install the damn nozzle myself. Others here have complained about communication and service problems with Weapon X but that was not my experience last year. I will not beg any vendor to take my money for services, end of discussion, I am moving on.

2. I need to find a shop to install the 4 spider gear diff conversion I purchased from another member here and the stronger stub shafts I got from RPM. Louisville is not a small town but I cannot find a shop here willing to do this job which doesn't look that difficult for a professional. I also tried RPM but they didn't respond.

3. I am seeking feedback on a cam for my Z06. I have heard from two sources not to expect as much additional HP % on my C7 Z06 as I got from a cam change on my old C6 LS3 NA motor. Not looking for a race cam just a good streetable kit that will extend the usable RPM range and give a decent increase in performance. Presently leaning toward a BTR stage 2 LS7 cam kit with Ti retainers.

4. I am experiencing a leaner shift in my A/F ratio at part throttle. Until recently the A/f was right on 14.5/1 to 14.7/1 at idle and low throttle settings. It has shifted up to 16/1 at these low throttle settings. It is still at 12/1 at full throttle. This is new. I am curious if a leaking meth nozzle check valve could cause this?

Popular Reply

06-25-2019, 07:15 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

goddamnit i can't get anyone to change my oil, telegram only please and I also prefer to turn down all suggested appt times until my request is fulfilled until I write a bad review.

this is such a stupid thread.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:17 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

1. Can't help you on that one. Those guys get way busy!

2. There are several GM technicians that can do this type of work, you might have to go to a dealer and pull one of those guys aside and ask about doing side work. Or, if it ain't broke yet, don't mess with it until it breaks, lol.

3. I hear good things about BTR, but I hear even better things from the Texas Speed Stage III cams. Don't hesitate to give the guys a call at 21st Century Muscle Cars or the guys at Cordes Performance, those fellas all know their stuff.

4. At part throttle or even at idle, these cars try very hard to stay within a certain range, a lean part throttle will not hurt anything and yes, WOT should still stay where it was programmed/commanded to run. It should not change, unless you took it to the dealer recently and they reflashed it for whatever reason. 12.1:1 or 12.2 are good A/F ratios from what I can tell.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:03 AM
us3rname
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 106 Posts

They might be further than you want to drive but I'm willing to bet DBR High Performance just outside of Nashville can get you squared away on numbers 2,3,4
The following users liked this post:
jcdives (06-21-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 07:12 AM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

best advice: pass on WeaponX and Ben. ZERO service after the sale as you have discovered. Numerous complaints to this effect.

Last edited by TSLAVette; 06-10-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:22 AM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

Remember when Mike warned you about _______?

There is a guy in cinci area by the name of Danny Popp... (he is a great driver and knows these cars very well, he is a tech at a dealership if I remember right, you might want to track him down, and see if he can't help you on the rear diff install. You will learn things from him, he is one of those guys who knows a lot about a lot)

As far as tuning the car goes, I would reach out to Chris Crawford and see who he recommends. He will also fill your vendor void moving forward.

The person you bought the rear diff from may also be able to help you with tuning to some degree, we know he is knowledgable.

Stay away from columbus ohio vette tuners

If you were to come up here, ironically the best tuner you will find is a guy at "pickups plus" up off 23 north in Lewis Center, and his name is Brady. He does Mustuangs mostly, but he tuned my TT car flawlessly. Ford flies him to Cali to tune the super snakes for many many years, as their factory tuners always come up short of his talent. He has a gift, he is very intelligent.

If weaponX is just busy, I would be patient with them, since they did the tune the first time.

Last edited by bbbvettes.com; 06-10-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:46 AM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by jstewart
I am having four issues concerning my 2016 Z06, one of which I have decided what to do about, that I want to comment on here. Feel free to comment back.
1. I have been trying for almost 2 months to arrange with Weapon X (Ben) to have them give me a date to install a second meth nozzle and retune my Z06 without success. This is a communications problem as I have specifically asked to be reached by phone directly or by e-mail, not by texting. I have decided to move on and find another tuner (Shane Hines probably) and I will install the damn nozzle myself. Others here have complained about communication and service problems with Weapon X but that was not my experience last year. I will not beg any vendor to take my money for services, end of discussion, I am moving on.

2. I need to find a shop to install the 4 spider gear diff conversion I purchased from another member here and the stronger stub shafts I got from RPM. Louisville is not a small town but I cannot find a shop here willing to do this job which doesn't look that difficult for a professional. I also tried RPM but they didn't respond.

3. I am seeking feedback on a cam for my Z06. I have heard from two sources not to expect as much additional HP % on my C7 Z06 as I got from a cam change on my old C6 LS3 NA motor. Not looking for a race cam just a good streetable kit that will extend the usable RPM range and give a decent increase in performance. Presently leaning toward a BTR stage 2 LS7 cam kit with Ti retainers.

4. I am experiencing a leaner shift in my A/F ratio at part throttle. Until recently the A/f was right on 14.5/1 to 14.7/1 at idle and low throttle settings. It has shifted up to 16/1 at these low throttle settings. It is still at 12/1 at full throttle. This is new. I am curious if a leaking meth nozzle check valve could cause this?
John this “review” is pretty appalling considering I have offered you multiple days to bring the car in last month, to which you didn’t reply to any of them, but a week or two later you would start a new email thread asking for a date again?

The following 7 users liked this post by Ben@WeaponX:
23/C8Z (06-22-2019), AaronZ51 (06-15-2019), ajrothm (06-28-2019), bbbvettes.com (06-10-2019), GeorgeR_Zed06 (06-10-2019), Harbgrogan (06-21-2019), philadd (06-25-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-10-2019, 09:52 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 849 Posts

lol
Old 06-10-2019, 02:18 PM
Zan Dad
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

TACO's....TACO's everywhere lol
Old 06-14-2019, 09:01 AM
ShaneFap
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like for sure you should have brought the car down here and let the shop i work with perform the work and let me know it like you asked me about multiple times.
Sucks.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:15 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Shane sorry for the misunderstanding. Based on my conversation with you it was my understanding you do not do mechanical work , only tuning. We were talking about bringing the car to St Louis to have it tuned and I asked you if you could install the 18% O.D..lower pulley as well as other work and tune the car. I thought you owned your own shop there but apparently you tune in others dyno shop facilities which is fine but I wanted one source responsibility for the install & tune which I got from Weapon X. There was no problem with the Weapon X install or initial tune on my car. The problem was with follow up work. I specifically asked to be contacted by direct phone or e-mail. I no longer communicate by text messages and I made that clear in several requests including one directly by phone to another Weapon X employee who forwarded my request internally to Ben and copied me with the request.. As a result of Ben replying by messenger I did not see the return messages from Ben in time to take advantage of. I finally gave up and moved on.

I have decided to use resources closer to home. The cam install & diff work will be handled by Race Proven Performance in Harrodsburg KY and the tuning will be done by Shor tuning in Harrodsburg KY.

Last edited by jstewart; 06-21-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:40 AM
NinjaBum
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 103 Posts

We talkin Facebook messages or actual cell phone to cell phone texts? I could see the former being a PITA if you got rid of Facebook apps ans such. If it's the latter then I don't really understand your issue and this seems to be self-inflicted haha.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:51 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,229 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Lol this why I never thought about highly modifying my car. I trust no one lol
Harbgrogan (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 11:04 AM
NinjaBum
Racer

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Lol this why I never thought about highly modifying my car. I trust no one lol
It is kind of a pain in the rear if you don't live next to your reputable shop that did the tuning and such or if you are a real do-it-your-self mechanic wiz type.

Otherwise anytime you take it to another shop for issues you have to explain what you have installed, what they should or should not mess with, etc. Big reason why I ultimately went with this car was it already makes big-ish power stock vs. say, tuning an M3/4 to this level or what have you. I have basically had a whole slew of 400-450hp cars stock and I always wanted more power and wound up with annoying issues. This time I figured buy one with more that comes warrantied and avoid the hassle.
Z0HS1CK (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 05:10 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NinjaBum
We talkin Facebook messages or actual cell phone to cell phone texts? I could see the former being a PITA if you got rid of Facebook apps ans such. If it's the latter then I don't really understand your issue and this seems to be self-inflicted haha.
I no longer use text messaging period and I do not check for text messages. I specifically asked to schedule through e-mail or a direct phone call. I am not knocking Weapon X for the work they did for me, it was excellent as well as the communication from Ben & crew determining what I wanted to do and the original scheduling, just the after experience with trying to schedule additional work. This was just a matter of not getting an answer in the manner I requested which is not unreasonable on my part. Ben & I originally communicated thru e-mail concerning my original work and it worked out fine. There is no longer a problem since I decided to move on rather than frustrate both Ben and myself because we chose to communicate differently.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:57 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,229 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by NinjaBum
It is kind of a pain in the rear if you don't live next to your reputable shop that did the tuning and such or if you are a real do-it-your-self mechanic wiz type.

Otherwise anytime you take it to another shop for issues you have to explain what you have installed, what they should or should not mess with, etc. Big reason why I ultimately went with this car was it already makes big-ish power stock vs. say, tuning an M3/4 to this level or what have you. I have basically had a whole slew of 400-450hp cars stock and I always wanted more power and wound up with annoying issues. This time I figured buy one with more that comes warrantied and avoid the hassle.

I agree, not only was i drawn in by the exotic looks of the C7Z (i originally went to the dealer to get a grand sport lol, thank god i didn't do that dumb *** move haha) but mainly it was the power that got me. At first i wanted to keep the car bone stock, not even doing wheels or anything. I wanted a reliable, high hp beast with a warranty. I got it.

But as the months went on, i did little things that i could do myself. The PTB, the BMS filter. I had a shop install my xpipe though. Then later added wheels etc.

It's fine the way it is. Very fast already. Even 2nd gear pulls on my conti's sometimes spin. So it's good enough for me at this power level. But i did think about just ruining the warranty and going with E85, long tubes, ported blower etc.

But then i'm like wait a minute, if i do all this, my reliability will go down. Cars are never the same once it's been tampered with, i don't care who works on it. You don't touch what's done from factory.

It's never the same. And only a matter of time, or mileage, that something go wrong, that's most likely associated to the mod you recently installed.

And also, i don't trust any shop lol. Even if i been to a few. All cool guys. But in the end, i don't trust anyone.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:26 PM
NinjaBum
Racer

I no longer use text messaging period and I do not check for text messages. I specifically asked to schedule through e-mail or a direct phone call. I am not knocking Weapon X for the work they did for me, it was excellent as well as the communication from Ben & crew determining what I wanted to do and the original scheduling, just the after experience with trying to schedule additional work. This was just a matter of not getting an answer in the manner I requested which is not unreasonable on my part. Ben & I originally communicated thru e-mail concerning my original work and it worked out fine. There is no longer a problem since I decided to move on rather than frustrate both Ben and myself because we chose to communicate differently.
I mean I get not liking it but thats more and more how business is done these days and you get generally quicker responses that way from a lot of places. If I liked a place and the work they did for me and I just refused to communicate in the method they generally utilize most of the time seems like that'd be knowingly creating a communication barrier between us. For something like a realtor or whatever, sure, you don't use what I like then maybe I will find someone who does. But reputable shops who do good work aren't a dime a dozen. No way I'd give that up just for the sake of demanding a specific contact style. But that's just me. For a good business with a high demand there are probably a hundred guys lining up to pay them money and fill my spot who dgaf about texting. Probably not the same luxury in the same radius around me for good shops.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:48 PM
ShaneFap
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Shane sorry for the misunderstanding. Based on my conversation with you it was my understanding you do not do mechanical work , only tuning. We were talking about bringing the car to St Louis to have it tuned and I asked you if you could install the 18% O.D..lower pulley as well as other work and tune the car. I thought you owned your own shop there but apparently you tune in others dyno shop facilities which is fine but I wanted one source responsibility for the install & tune which I got from Weapon X. There was no problem with the Weapon X install or initial tune on my car. The problem was with follow up work. I specifically asked to be contacted by direct phone or e-mail. I no longer communicate by text messages and I made that clear in several requests including one directly by phone to another Weapon X employee who forwarded my request internally to Ben and copied me with the request.. As a result of Ben replying by messenger I did not see the return messages from Ben in time to take advantage of. I finally gave up and moved on.

I have decided to use resources closer to home. The cam install & diff work will be handled by Race Proven Performance in Harrodsburg KY and the tuning will be done by Shor tuning in Harrodsburg KY.
Best of luck. I'm not here to waste time or stroke Egos. My car that had parts installed by one of the shops i tune for and my old BOLT on LT4 c7z ran better than most every cammed one in the country.
Also have a customer who just went 9.5 in a c7z in 3700 DA just last week worked on by the same shop now making it one of the quickest LT4 blower corvettes in the US.

Yep I don't have time to install parts only tune and make happy customers. Sorry for the bad luck with weapon X.

Get notified of new replies

To Issues with my 2016 Z06

Old 06-22-2019, 07:45 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaneFap
sounds like for sure you should have brought the car down here and let the shop i work with perform the work and let me know it like you asked me about multiple times.
Sucks.
In the Midwest, Shane rocks. I have worked with him personally and highly recommend him. He steered me to CBI south of STL. They swapped out a meth pump for me and were fast and easy to work with. STG in the STL area is another shop. PM Shane and pick his brain. I will be getting back with Shane to tune my Z for the better air of MO compared to AZ. He was able to get another 25hp/75tq when I moved here last year. I think he can get some more out of my build now. Reach out to him. You wont be disappointed.

Last edited by AZGASSER; 06-22-2019 at 07:47 PM.
ShaneFap (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:15 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

goddamnit i can't get anyone to change my oil, telegram only please and I also prefer to turn down all suggested appt times until my request is fulfilled until I write a bad review.

this is such a stupid thread.
The following 9 users liked this post by Higgs Boson:
ajrothm (06-28-2019), badhabit_wb (06-28-2019), BearZ06 (06-25-2019), BrunoTheMellow (06-28-2019), edster75 (06-26-2019), NinjaBum (06-25-2019), philadd (06-25-2019), speed4tu (06-25-2019), Z0HS1CK (06-26-2019) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:49 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Admittedly you do come off a little difficult to deal with OP, but it is your money.....James at Shor Tuning is a rock star!

Good luck with your project!

Quick Reply: Issues with my 2016 Z06