C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

NEED HELP PLEASE!!! Sport Cup 2 is flat

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 01:10 AM
Shawn_Randhawa
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default NEED HELP PLEASE!!! Sport Cup 2 is flat

After it goes flat can I still drive it home which is about 3 miles from my location?? Also, can I leave it parked while the tire is flat?(drivers side front) if not then what should I do? Thanks
Old 06-02-2019, 01:38 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

You can drive on the run flat, but if I remember correctly they are no good after you drive on them. Better to have someone bring an air tank or pump and fill it with air then drive home. Then you can find a shop that will plug it.

Last edited by djnice; 06-02-2019 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:25 AM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Or call AAA
Old 06-02-2019, 07:49 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 849 Posts

Driving on a run flat without air in it ruins the tire. I think the max distance before damage when flat is a mile at no more than 35mph IIRC. They are only made so you are not stranded somewhere.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:08 AM
f1reb1rd
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

i think mine had a nail in it still. pressure was 20 low light came on. drove 12 miles plugged it been ok for 3000 mile.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:02 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by f1reb1rd
i think mine had a nail in it still. pressure was 20 low light came on. drove 12 miles plugged it been ok for 3000 mile.

I was referencing 0 psi. 20psi is in your case is still enough air to avoid damage.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:23 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default You can fix it on the spot if needed.

I had 3 or 4 screws/nails in my MPSS tires since owning the car. I have a small air compressor and a tire repair kit that you insert the rope style plug into the tire from the outside which I added a pair of pliers (nail/screw removal) and razor blade to make the kit complete which all fits into the rear cubby.

A couple of times it was a slow leak so I could drive it home before using my tire repair kit but there have been one or two times I repaired the tire on the spot. If it was in a front tire I rolled the repair area to 'approx.' 2 or 10 o'clock and turned the repair area out with the steering wheel which made it 'really easy' to repair & if the leak was in the rear tire I would roll it around to the area between the rear of the fender and the ground which makes it tougher but doable.

If you buy a tire repair kit I would suggest a kit that 'also' has a little tube of glue in it and follow directions.

Example: On the rear tire the plug never lost any air even after the rear tires went completely bald from doing heavy duty burnouts to get the A8/Z06 to do some 1.53 60 ft. times on a good track.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 06-02-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

OP:
You can repair a Michelin ZP tire after it has been driven on with no air pressure. Driving on it without air doesn't necessarily ruin the tire. The rules are no more than 50 miles at speeds at or lower than 50 mph. Michelin says the tire can be repaired once.

See this Tire Rack Tech Tip about repairing run flats after driving on them with 0 pressure.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=226

However, one way to extend the distance you can drive with the tire is if the leak isn't too fast you stop and add air every so often so the pressure isn't zero while driving. If you know the tire can't be repaired due to a hole in the side wall or too close to the side wall then just drive on it at speeds less than 50 mph until you decide where to get it replaced. You might get a couple more thousand miles out of it that way although I would suggest stopping every now and then to let the tire cool off.

There is no big hurry especially if you are driving in slow moving rush hour traffic.

If you find a shop that doesn't want to repair the tire go to another shop. As long as the tire meets Michelin's repair rules it is repairable despite what some shops say.

Don't let the Chicken Little's influence you on this. The sky isn't falling.

Bill
Old 06-02-2019, 02:40 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 958 Likes on 621 Posts

Why do some on here offer OPINIONS when asked a technical/important question that HAS to be answered correctly to protect/help the OP. If you are not sure then just observe & perhaps learn something. As usual, thanks Bill for a correct/succinct answer with link to back it up.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:53 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Can you safely drive a run-flat 3 miles when it's flat? Yes, that's why they're called run-flats.

Officially, ok, they're "zero pressure" or "extended mobility." All right then, can you drive a ZP tire that in fact has ZP to extend its mobility for 3 whole miles? Yes, that's why they're called ZP or EMT.

On my C6 I drove a run-flat with no pressure for probably a couple thousand miles with no effect. This wasn't on purpose, but a combination of the tire installer swapping the front wheels so that TPMS said the right front was flat, which it wasn't, and being too lazy/unbelieving to look at the LEFT front closely, which would have shown it to be mighty flat. The same tire installer easily repaired it and it lived its normal life, which isn't long of course.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:06 PM
corbin7
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty sure a cup 2 is not a run flat... I would just have it towed home or leave the car and bring a jack. I’m sure you can drive on it but I am not sure if you should.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:35 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by corbin7
Pretty sure a cup 2 is not a run flat... I would just have it towed home or leave the car and bring a jack. I’m sure you can drive on it but I am not sure if you should.
They come in ZP and non-ZP models
Old 06-02-2019, 08:50 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by corbin7
The MPSC2s that are OEM standard equipment are ZP run flats.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:37 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

When I read the post last night it seemed like the guy was looking for a quick answer last night. Appears from reading tire rack's link that you cannot drive on them and guarantee they won't be structurally damaged so if you can manage to, you are really better off putting air in them before driving.

Last edited by djnice; 06-02-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
When I read the post last night it seemed like the guy was looking for a quick answer last night. Appears from reading tire rack's link that you cannot drive on them and guarantee they won't be structurally damaged so if you can manage to, you are really better off putting air in them before driving.
There can be indicators if the tire has been driven too far or too fast. When they are operated at zero pressure they may not look flat but they sure do get hot and the heat is what damages them.

I had an acquaintance offer me a set of 4 GY EMTs with one that he said had been driven for 100 miles with no air pressure. He thought the tire was still in good shape but when I looked inside the tire I could tell the inside of both sidewalls were different than the other 3 tires. It looked darker and wrinkled. I pointed out the difference and didn't purchase the tires.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To NEED HELP PLEASE!!! Sport Cup 2 is flat

Quick Reply: NEED HELP PLEASE!!! Sport Cup 2 is flat