C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z vs competition

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 05:04 PM
S8NZ
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Z vs competition

Hey All,
I am looking into getting a C7Z for my next sports car and was curious about how we stack up against the competition. I know vettes have been one of the best performance car deals for some time now. However these days there are some other options out there.

Are there any any other cars that has the same straight line and handing performance as these cars within a similar price point?

I recently got rid of my Jeep SRT and prior to had a Challenger Hellcat, C6Z, and others. My idea Z would be blacked out 2LZ, haven’t decided between A8 or M7, with glass roof and CCB if possible.

Cheers
Old 05-27-2019, 07:36 PM
Travis104
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I currently have an SRT Jeep, and recently traded in my 700+hp camaro ZL1 for a blacked out 2LZ Z06. You can definitely feel that the corvette is lighter in the handling department. Acceleration also seems to be better. I haven’t had a chance to get it on a track yet, but hopefully hit an autox in a couple weeks.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:46 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default I don’t think there is competition

I don’t know of a car that competes performance wise $ for $. To compete you are in a GT3, GTR, 911 Turbo.... all in a different price class.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:52 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit_Bill
I don’t know of a car that competes performance wise $ for $. To compete you are in a GT3, GTR, 911 Turbo.... all in a different price class.
THIS! You can’t get another car with Z06 performance for the money.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:02 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

GTR is "similar" in price but not my cup of tea. Not much else out there to match up.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:43 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,244 Likes on 2,175 Posts

You mean straight line or on a track?

A hellcat would give the Z a run for it's money. The Z would still win but the hellcat will be right there with it. It's heavier but has slightly more power and a better, faster shifting ZF auto.

GTR is more money, if you're talking new vs new. And i think the GTR is faster, from a dig and possibly off a roll. Every GTR is underrated in power because each engine is hand built. There's a guy on the GTR forum that dynoed his BONE STOCK GTR and it made 580awhp. And i won't even begin to talk about it's DCT. It's freaking amazing.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:48 PM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

Sort of a 'performance bargain'...coming in 2020
  • 700HP
  • 0-60 in 3.5
  • top speed 180MPH
  • quarter is sub 11.
Not bad for a base price of $70K. Maybe a performance package will put it at 3.0 secs 0-60, and 200MPH, for $10K more (?). Not Ford guy myself, but this one looks good.

Last edited by LarryFL; 05-27-2019 at 08:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
speed4tu (06-03-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 08:48 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default As an overall car

I don’t mean in a straight line. I mean on a track. The only way to understand what a Z06 is capable of is on a track. You can’t begin to approach what a Z06 is capable of on the street.
Gixxerman (05-28-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 09:01 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by LarryFL
Sort of a 'performance bargain'...coming in 2020
  • 700HP
  • 0-60 in 3.5
  • top speed 180MPH
  • quarter is sub 11.
Not bad for a base price of $70K. Maybe a performance package will put it at 3.0 secs 0-60, and 200MPH, for $10K more (?). Not Ford guy myself, but this one looks good.

My co-worker has bought ford vehicles from one dealership for the past 20 years. His son wants this car. And so do i.

But there's going to be a 15-20k, possibly more markup on first year models.

So i would suggest waiting for the 2021 or 2022 GT500 if this is what you want.

It's a BADASS machine. Everyone going DCT now
Old 05-27-2019, 09:08 PM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
My co-worker has bought ford vehicles from one dealership for the past 20 years. His son wants this car. And so do i.

But there's going to be a 15-20k, possibly more markup on first year models.

So i would suggest waiting for the 2021 or 2022 GT500 if this is what you want.

It's a BADASS machine. Everyone going DCT now
Like I said, I'm not a ford guy, and these specs are exactly what the 640HP ZL1 does now for the same price. But, you get a 3-year newer car with new features for that same price. My Z06 cost me $60K and it will trounce either car on a track (drivers being equal), but on the street ... at least a ZL1 or GT500 owner doesn't have to worry about wheels.

The GT 500 will be DSG auto, and since GM and Ford use the same hi performance transmissions, this may be the same auto we will find in the C8.

Last edited by LarryFL; 05-27-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:14 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by LarryFL
Like I said, I'm not a ford guy, and these specs are exactly what the 640HP ZL1 does now for the same price. But, you get a 3-year newer car with new features for that same price. My Z06 cost me $60K and it will trounce either car on a track (drivers being equal), but on the street ... at least a ZL1 or GT500 owner doesn't have to worry about wheels.

The GT 500 will be DSG auto, and since GM and Ford use the same hi performance transmissions, this may be the same auto we will find in the C8.
If someone said pick either the ZL1 or the GT500, i would be like ZL who??

I would much rather own the ZL1 only because it has the LT4 and it's an amazing engine but the camaro will forever be criticized at being the car with the worst visibility.

I said this before, the reason why GM didn't fix this issue, is because IMHO, corvette sales would drop. The ZL1 is a better engineered car over the z06, better cooling, can utilize the power better but a lot of people are put off because of the terrible visibility.

Otherwise i would have an SS sitting next to my Z right now.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:52 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

With all due respect Rob. A Hellcat is not in the same class as the Z06. Not in the street from a stop... and Not from a Roll..

Nothing is quicker from 0 to 150 than the A8 Z06 in Straight line performance stock for stock under 100k plenty that are quicker modified. But that's not stock.. and with not much into a Z06 you are faster than a stock C7 ZR1.

Any video you pull up on YouTube or wheever where some stock hellcat is next to an A8 Z06 is the exception to the rule. The hellcats are 4500 lbs that's 1000lbs more than the Z06... with less than 60hp more and worse aero dynamics. Downforce included.

I've run them. I've posted vids of a stock A8 walking a stock hellcat charger from behind putting 4 cars on it from 60 to 130 with the charger getting the hit not even knowing the Z06 was coming as he was running a tuned Huracan for example.

I've run a tuned F12 and that tuned Huracan a dozen or more times. The A8 Z06 takes them every time and all the way to 150. And those guys hate it. Swear my car is modified somehow.. not to mention that everyone swears these cars dont do anything at 125.. they do. Driver mod is real. (Stop using the paddles.... you're doing it wrong)

On a track I couldn't speak as to this car's capabilities.. but going off of Chevrolet especially with the mag ride update, it's as fast as a Ford gt around the VIR grand course ... that's impressive...

Its not a perfect car. But no car is.. and for how little this car costs vs the performance? Insane value.

see the above for any skeptics. 1,000lbs... for 60hp.. think about it. Would it surprise you that a C7Z walks a Hellcat?

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 05-27-2019 at 09:57 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
GhostBluZ06 (05-29-2019), Harbgrogan (05-28-2019), Road machine (05-28-2019), SuperdadZ06 (05-27-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 05:29 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

2015 hellcat, taken by motor trend.

" Our best run in the Hellcat resulted in 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds before whacking the quarter mile upside the head in 11.7 seconds at 125.4 mph."

2016 z06, taken by motor trend.

"The Z06 hits 60 mph in 3.3 seconds before laying wood to the quarter in 11.4 seconds at 124.4 mph."

This is from the same magazine test driver. Every race varies but these are done by professionals, not you nor I, or your "buddy" where there are too many variables on any given race, where ever your races take place.

So even if you don't want to acknowledge those times, they're still identical.

So i don't know what do you mean by a z06 "walking" a hellcat. Will it beat it, i already said yes, go back and read what i wrote. But i said the hellcat will be right there with it. It has a better trans, and if racing a full aero z06, will have better top end, and a higher top speed.

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 05-28-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:35 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by S8NZ
Hey All,
I am looking into getting a C7Z for my next sports car and was curious about how we stack up against the competition. I know vettes have been one of the best performance car deals for some time now. However these days there are some other options out there.

Are there any any other cars that has the same straight line and handing performance as these cars within a similar price point?

I recently got rid of my Jeep SRT and prior to had a Challenger Hellcat, C6Z, and others. My idea Z would be blacked out 2LZ, haven’t decided between A8 or M7, with glass roof and CCB if possible.

Cheers
Probably can’t get anything close to the c7z. Especially if you wait to late fall and heavy discounts are possible bringing your price point way down. From my experience with my c4zr1 and the dual roof option the glass top when I ran with that was too hot. Not sure if the technology is better since then to keep the car feeling cooler. If your primary reasons for the ccb option is cleaner wheels — and you don’t track the car. Get the standard brake option and put some power stop z26 pads on. Wheels stay clean.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:39 AM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 764 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
If someone said pick either the ZL1 or the GT500, i would be like ZL who??

I would much rather own the ZL1 only because it has the LT4 and it's an amazing engine but the camaro will forever be criticized at being the car with the worst visibility.

I said this before, the reason why GM didn't fix this issue, is because IMHO, corvette sales would drop. The ZL1 is a better engineered car over the z06, better cooling, can utilize the power better but a lot of people are put off because of the terrible visibility.

Otherwise i would have an SS sitting next to my Z right now.
Have you driven the Alpha Platform Camaro ZL1 (2017+)? The visibility is fine.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:31 AM
S8NZ
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Probably can’t get anything close to the c7z. Especially if you wait to late fall and heavy discounts are possible bringing your price point way down. From my experience with my c4zr1 and the dual roof option the glass top when I ran with that was too hot. Not sure if the technology is better since then to keep the car feeling cooler. If your primary reasons for the ccb option is cleaner wheels — and you don’t track the car. Get the standard brake option and put some power stop z26 pads on. Wheels stay clean.
Yeah I plan on waiting until the right deal comes up. I have heard complaints of the glass roof running hot , so will keep in mind and try to have an extended test drive with it. The removable roof (glass or not) is one of favorite things about the car.

The powerstop brakes were my second thought as I ran them before to minimize the brake dust. The car may see the track 1-2 times a year. Mainly just looking for a bad *** street car.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-28-2019, 10:36 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts

Is the new GT500 really going to be 4200 plus pounds? That’s not a sports car. ZR1 gets bashed for being 3650.
Gixxerman (05-28-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z vs competition

Old 05-28-2019, 10:41 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by 94Lt1Vette
Have you driven the Alpha Platform Camaro ZL1 (2017+)? The visibility is fine.
5th and 6th gen Camaro have the same bad visibility.

High door panel, low roof line, small windshield.

Its like you're driving a tank. And I dont mean because if the weight, because of your line of sight. It's the worst.

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 05-28-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:58 AM
Mike00
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fatsport
Is the new GT500 really going to be 4200 plus pounds? That’s not a sports car. ZR1 gets bashed for being 3650.
You have to remember backseat and a bit more to the car. It's in line with the ZL1 in terms of weight. Frankly if it really comes in at $70k~ it's going to be a great bargain. EXCEPT for the fact that we will see $20-$40k in ADM. Frankly if there was no ADM And it came in a manual I'd consider it as a my next purchase. FInally getting back into a fun car this summer since the wife and I finally got the house built the way we want and relatively new marriage (2 years) all settled in. I've been doing a lot of research and considered everything on the market in this range Porsche, Z06, Zl1, Hellcat (briefly tossed it quick though even though I like the ca) even a GT350 and GT500.

It quickly became a toss up between ZO6 and ZL1. The Gt350 just doesn't have the performance for the dollar - can't just ify it even though engine sound and drive feel is wonderful. And I considered saving money with the ZL1 but frankly with the discounts on the Z06 I don't see the $5k worth saving over ZO6. If you want a manual V8 I really feel like the Z06 is the bargain at the moment - well more bargain than typical.

Now if only I could find a Vert and/or order (following the general thread on that now to see if we can still order a Vert over next 2 weeks or so).
Old 05-28-2019, 02:11 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

I never thought i'd see the full circle turn of the wheel in this rivalry: the porsche vs vette, but i DID live long enough! According the professional Porsche race car driver, Randy Probst, the very thing that created a cult status for the original Porsche 911, Snap Oversteer, has now been thoroughly massaged out of the newest Porsches. But that exact uber-Porsche skill/thrill set demand is the reason, yes, snap oversteer, that the big dogs in the Corvette Corral (ZR1 and Z06) are so scary fun to drive.
High-powered 'Vettes are diabolically prone to snap power oversteer in the lower gears.
Only Mr. Probst worries about the common man facing the ability to control of these MAN's sports cars. Porsche guys for decades have stood in line to test that sort of mettle within them. New Corvette guys dream of mid-engines to avoid facing that test. One man's meat is another man's poison. Go Figure.

This handling issue is nothing new. Chevy has never solved the perennial problem of the rear suspension not putting power down well or the general fright-inspiring twitchiness of the rear end. It frustrates me, and it holds the 'Vette back from its far greater ultimate potential. The unruly and untrustworthy rear grip makes the car a wild ride in first through third gears, which means in most corners. The Motor Trend notebook is rife with editor remarks about it. It's a thrill and an adrenaline rush, sure, but not exactly for the right reasons (fear and terror being culprits cited by some pretty veteran scribes).
Best damn Corvette review ever, but not for the reasons that Mr. Probst found that he liked the new "civilized" Porsche GT2RS. Suddenly it's 1963 again and the C7 Corvette, not the Porsche, has the skill set to learn and conquer for personal best this time.

True story: (Mr. Probst) I kicked out the ZR1's tail on a deserted side street, and it ripped the wheel from my hands so hard I reinjured a torn rotator cuff. Brutal. In these cars, the driver had best leave the multimode traction and stability controls activated.
Challenge met, challenge accepted.

The only Corvette test you have to pass.

Disclaimer: I did not write the Motor Trend article quoted (and linked in-full directly above) As for Mr. Probst's bias to Porsche he remarked
When I set the lap record at Road Atlanta in the new ZR1 on a Chevy press day, the car was stable and hooked up in the high-speed Turn 12 and dropping into the esses, which is critical to a quick time there. I mean really well behaved.
Sounds competent enough in the cars to comment on the Z06/Z07 and ZR1 handling characteristics.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 05-28-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: C7 Z vs competition