C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tire help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 10:33 AM
Reggie927
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Tire help please!!!

I have a 2016 z06/z07 package and i am trying to purchase and install Michelin super sport tires. I live in the northern va area and i have received multiple quotes from 2400-2900 from every dealer in the area. The only reasonable quote i received was from criswell because they would match tire rack prices. Should i just order tires and take them somewhere? Is this kind of price gouging normal for corvettes? I have a jeep and the tires at the dealer are the same prices as online, yet the vette tire are around 100-150 more each.
Thanks
Reggie
Old 04-27-2019, 11:19 AM
Pribilof
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Dealer? That's your first problem. Find a good discount tire or similar in your area. I usually just take in my wheels and tires so the shop doesn't have to even touch my car.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:07 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Reggie927
I have a 2016 z06/z07 package and i am trying to purchase and install Michelin super sport tires. I live in the northern va area and i have received multiple quotes from 2400-2900 from every dealer in the area. The only reasonable quote i received was from criswell because they would match tire rack prices. Should i just order tires and take them somewhere? Is this kind of price gouging normal for corvettes? I have a jeep and the tires at the dealer are the same prices as online, yet the vette tire are around 100-150 more each.
Thanks
Reggie
Your dealerships suck.
Some price match so see if that's an option, but I only take my car to discount tire like the other user said. Never had an issue with discount tire in the last 10 years and their prices are very competitive.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:54 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Stop worrying about finding the lowest price, find a good shop that can mount those tires, not chip your CCMs, and not damage your rims.

Always plenty of specialty shops in metro areas that are comfortable with wheels and brakes.
The following users liked this post:
AZGASSER (05-01-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 03:42 PM
Reggie927
Instructor

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Stop worrying about finding the lowest price, find a good shop that can mount those tires, not chip your CCMs, and not damage your rims.

Always plenty of specialty shops in metro areas that are comfortable with wheels and brakes.
its not the install price that worries me its the fact the tires cost $150+ more each than online retailers. I wanted to know what guys on the forum are doing about tire cost and if its a normal thing for dealers to charge so much more.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

The tire purchase price is only part of the equation. If you don't know the overall cost including tire purchase, shipping (if ordering online), mounting, balance, used tire disposal charges and tax you can't make a decision.

You say Criswell is offering to match tire rack prices, does that include installation or is installation extra? The other dealers that are giving you quotes do those quotes include installation? Quotes are one thing, how much can you negotiate out of their total install price? Most dealerships know the out door price of a set of tires from the average discount tire store in their area. They know if you can get a $1 better deal at a tire store it is easy to drive down the street to that shop.

If you purchase from Tire Rack how much is it going to cost you to get the tires installed? Typically, I see tire installation costs for four ZP tires mounted and balanced at Discount Tire ranging between $85 and $100 based on whether or not they play around with the sensors. I usually tell them I don't want them removing the sensors and replacing the seals. If I have them done at a Custom Truck shop the cost goes to about $110.

Bill
Old 04-27-2019, 04:15 PM
Reggie927
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The tire purchase price is only part of the equation. If you don't know the overall cost including tire purchase, shipping (if ordering online), mounting, balance, used tire disposal charges and tax you can't make a decision.

You say Criswell is offering to match tire rack prices, does that include installation or is installation extra? The other dealers that are giving you quotes do those quotes include installation? Quotes are one thing, how much can you negotiate out of their total install price? Most dealerships know the out door price of a set of tires from the average discount tire store in their area. They know if you can get a $1 better deal at a tire store it is easy to drive down the street to that shop.

If you purchase from Tire Rack how much is it going to cost you to get the tires installed? Typically, I see tire installation costs for four ZP tires mounted and balanced at Discount Tire ranging between $85 and $100 based on whether or not they play around with the sensors. I usually tell them I don't want them removing the sensors and replacing the seals. If I have them done at a Custom Truck shop the cost goes to about $110.

Bill
Bill

i was qouted about 85$ Each to mount balance by a performance wheel shop in the area that does corvettes i really wanted to so at the dealer so i could do the MRC update at the same time. Im just going to order the tires and remove the wheels myself and bring to the shop saves me 500$ dealer was charging about 90$ Each tire

Reggie
Old 04-28-2019, 06:10 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

I always buy from Tire Rack and then bring them in to a Goodyear store or the dealer.

Whatever shop you use to mount, it is critical that you get a firm commitment from them that they have the correct equipment and will take responsibility for rim damage. These wide tires are really tough to mount. If the shop sounds iffy, take it to the dealer. If the dealer screws up your rims, they are responsible.

I always go to the dealer for alignments, because they have the proper equipment and readouts. Given you want to do the MRC upgrade, the dealer is the place to go.

FYI they will want to keep your car overnight for the firmware update.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:30 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

op should be very nice but firmly demand the shop allow him to be with the car and the tech’s doing the work wherever he gets tires. Do that with the sales guy right before you pencil whip a check or hand over your credit card to pay. They are more likely to cooperate when they are on the verge of a big tire sale.

1st thing is instruct the techs where to raise the place the jacking pucks on the jacking points to raise the car , demand the tech use sockets you provide wrapped in duct tape so as not to chip the wheels and placement of the rotor protectors and place a cloth over the calipers not to chip the paint on the calipers. Stand over these guys like a f-ing hawk and start out being firm but be nice as all get out and if they give you any attitude give them that attitude back 100 fold worse. If they do a good job and follow your lead and they don’t scratch anything tip them a hundred backs and tell rhem you appreciate their service. And you appreciate them letting you be s pain in their *** babysitting your baby.

if you get all shy and embarrassed about being a demanding a-hole with all this — then take your lumps and damage to your wheels and car and don’t come here bitching like a 12 year old girl.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 04-28-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:43 PM
Jack W
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is ridiculous! I take my tires, which I usually get at discount or tire rack, to costco and get them mounted. They do a fine job, had two michelin ss mounted yesterday on new wheels. Cost $28 total. Anyone that charges more than $20 bucks each is ripping you off.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:09 PM
stevebullard
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default tires

Have the same identical car as you and did exact tires a week ago. 1900.00 from tire rack shipped to our Chevy dealer. 250.00 Install price and make sure they have the Hunter tire machine that wont chip the black wheels
Old 04-28-2019, 08:27 PM
lupicon
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Appreciate the desire to get the best price, but also DO NOT underestimate this advice. The most important thing in all of this is your rims and CCB's--go to the right place or you'll be sorry.

Last edited by lupicon; 04-28-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:29 PM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack W
This is ridiculous! I take my tires, which I usually get at discount or tire rack, to costco and get them mounted. They do a fine job, had two michelin ss mounted yesterday on new wheels. Cost $28 total. Anyone that charges more than $20 bucks each is ripping you off.
Costco here does not road-force balance. Road force balancing produces the best results IMO.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:51 PM
lupicon
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebullard
Have the same identical car as you and did exact tires a week ago. 1900.00 from tire rack shipped to our Chevy dealer. 250.00 Install price and make sure they have the Hunter tire machine that wont chip the black wheels
Don't assume Hunter machine wont chip wheels. It's a big step in the right direction, but run flats in particular are a challenge to mount and rims can easily still be damaged. It takes a lot of time and experience to it without damage-so wherever you choose to go, make sure the right crew is working on the car. I just had a big volume GM Corvette dealer chip 3 out of 4 rims and they used a Hunter. They fixed them all their cost, but don't assume it's risk free.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:24 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

I have news for you there is no money in tires. The dealer is not ripping you off they are just trying to feed their families. The dealership has the best equipment, the best training, the specialty tools. It is not a cheap thing to run. If you think they are going to be the cheapest game in town you are mistaken. Car dealers are not that they are made out to be on these forums.
lupicon (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 01:28 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
op should be very nice but firmly demand the shop allow him to be with the car and the tech’s doing the work wherever he gets tires. Do that with the sales guy right before you pencil whip a check or hand over your credit card to pay. They are more likely to cooperate when they are on the verge of a big tire sale.

1st thing is instruct the techs where to raise the place the jacking pucks on the jacking points to raise the car , demand the tech use sockets you provide wrapped in duct tape so as not to chip the wheels and placement of the rotor protectors and place a cloth over the calipers not to chip the paint on the calipers. Stand over these guys like a f-ing hawk and start out being firm but be nice as all get out and if they give you any attitude give them that attitude back 100 fold worse. If they do a good job and follow your lead and they don’t scratch anything tip them a hundred backs and tell rhem you appreciate their service. And you appreciate them letting you be s pain in their *** babysitting your baby.

if you get all shy and embarrassed about being a demanding a-hole with all this — then take your lumps and damage to your wheels and car and don’t come here bitching like a 12 year old girl.
If you made demands like that I would show you the door. You are going to instruct the techs? How does this go... listen I spend lots of time on the internet and I know things? I don't know what you do but if your customer treated you like that what would you do? Hey listen Mr Gizmo, I assume you are incompetent so let me guide you through the process. Then in the end I will further insult you with a tip for allowing me to hover over you.
Pribilof (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 01:39 PM
Pribilof
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

If I ran a shop you'd be refused service with that attitude. Go buy a jack and do it yourself in your garage with your own "sockets wrapped in duct tape." Who's ever heard of doing that anyway? I've never done that and I've never scratched, scuffed, or nicked a wheel in all my years of being a shade tree mechanic.
Toddiesel (05-27-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Tire help please!!!

Old 04-30-2019, 02:38 PM
tripz
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie927
Thanks
Reggie
Reggie -

Mechanic John at Bill Page Chevrolet (in Alexandria, VA off Little River Turnpike) is good. He mounted my Sport Cup 2's on another set of wheels. They charged $220 to mount for all 4. No Hunter road force balancing machine, but tires were balanced nicely. He knows how to mount the Cup 2's. For super sports, any shop should be able to mount them, but John wont mess up your wheels in the process

Id probably order a set on tire rack or buy a set on craigslist (Someone selling a used set for $1k in Ashburn)

Last edited by tripz; 04-30-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:47 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I have purchased several sets on Tire Rack over the years and use one of their local installers. They will ship the tires direct to the installer that you select after you purchase the tires online. Read reviews of the installers before making your selection on yelp or other platforms. Take your car in and pay the installer. I have never had a problem and have received great service over the years. Easy peasey
Old 04-30-2019, 06:59 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Discount tire under 2000 for 4 they knew how to mount tires.
z51vett
Doug

Quick Reply: Tire help please!!!