C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

If you're on the fence Re: CAI don't be...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 03:25 PM
HessViper
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CSIXX1
So what your saying above is if there was no predetermined upper MAP limit programmed in the ECM/CPU then you could mod and the stock tune would automatically compensate, it would adjust any timing schedules, fueling schedules, protect from KR, and keep the AFR in the safe zone.
Please do not assume that my silence indicates that what you just asked me caused me to think about anything our team is not already well aware of.

We will provide real, proven, answers, soon.

Thank you for the first polite post towards any member on our team.

Hopefully you understand why we are in no hurry to divulge details to you at this time.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:48 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by CSIXX1
So what your saying above is if there was no predetermined upper MAP limit programmed in the ECM/CPU then you could mod and the stock tune would automatically compensate, it would adjust any timing schedules, fueling schedules, protect from KR, and keep the AFR in the safe zone.
Plus the dealer would never know and also a free unicorn ride coupon is included
Old 10-16-2018, 05:59 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HessViper
After much reading and observation on this forum, myself and a couple others have come to the conclusion that many individuals on this forum who have strong opinions, continually ignore that south florida is 7ft above sea level. Not 700, not 70, but 7.

It also has the highest barometric pressure readings in the usa, at certain times when high pressure systems come through.

Your observations are correct Trevor, and as it has been explained many times in the past on this forum, as the vehicles are approaching the p0106 limit, the vehicles take actions to limit power.

There is no point in discussing it here in the open, as we have realized most people on this forum were apparently not gifted with the mental capability to understand altitude and barometric pressure, and how both have effects on a MAP sensor, which is a sensor which is reporting to a CPU equipped with programming that is intended to limit vehicle power when too high of MAP pressures are reached, limits implemented by GM in attempt to prevent people from running more aggressive pulleys on their stock tune z06, otherwise all stock z06 could be taken to 800hp by the vehicle owners, with ease, and without negative consequence from the stock tune.

Many, many, many people on this forum with loud opinions, lack the mental capacity to comprehend the above paragraph..
More obvious is people here are really stupid about how the mod world works but continue to post BS! If you add enough mods to make anywhere near 800 hp you would have to have the car professionally tuned to make it work you talk all day but you are totally clueless! You cannot add any good mods without a tune past the intake and expect results. Tuning includes required changes to the tune.
You go from one line of BS to the NEXT Where is the two pump intercooler you were crowing about? Just more BS!
Old 10-17-2018, 10:44 PM
The T-man
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

update-

So after 150 miles or so the car runs even stronger, so the theory of it tuning out the gains seems incorrect.
And anyone chiming in w/ some strong opinions re: not using one better have at least run one to make your comments worth reading...
Old 10-18-2018, 11:10 AM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Your observation is inline with how the PCM should work and respond to additional air.

Those claiming the results will be learned away over time never ever offer a technical explanation as to how the PCM learns away power (reduces power) while adding fuel and adjusting the AFR back to commanded to compensate for more air. (worst case,still more fuel + more air=more power). Or how the CAI not seeing and accounting for more air by design which results in a slightly leaner AFR AND more air than stock can produce less power. (best case, still more air @ better afr for power= more power).

The PCM is not programmed to reduce power when it encounters more air. It simply adds fuel to keep the AFR in the intended area during closed loop. If the power is there due to increased airflow it will remain there as long as the additional airflow is there. This is all during closed loop at best.
During open loop there is very little learning. So the majority of any power gains observed on day one will remain.
There is very limited feedback from the O2 sensors to the PCM to learn from in open loop (WOT) therefore its called open loop. Very little information that is learned during closed loop is carried over to open loop and therefore during open loop (WOT) there is very little that could possibly be learned away.

Last edited by dar02081961; 10-18-2018 at 11:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dar02081961:
speedsquad (10-18-2018), timmyZ06 (11-10-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 11:30 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by dar02081961
Those claiming the results will be learned away over time never ever offer a technical explanation as to how the PCM learns away power (reduces power) while adding fuel and adjusting the AFR back to commanded to compensate for more air. (worst case,still more fuel + more air=more power)..
The way it's been explained is that the stock tune is too rich for maximum power (for detonation resistance and cooling reasons), and the aftermarket air intake leans it to a better power-producing mixture.
But after a while, the long-term fuel trims (which are carried over to open loop) compensate to take it back near stock values, so some of the initial increase goes away. I think it was Terry@BMS who actually showed this with dyno graphs.

This would apply to stock tunes, and not necessarily to cars which have been tuned.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 10-18-2018 at 11:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
C7/Z06 Man (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 04:22 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default For Your Consideration.

Terry @ BMS has pointed this out.

He has said something along this line; if the engine can 'only' consume 1,000 CFM's than building a 1,400 CFM system (CAI) will not add additional horsepower. He also said that they modified (cut the front air filter supports off, etc.) the OEM air box to accept a longer/larger 'test' filter which flowed a lot more CFM's (capable of more HP) than the one they sell but the engine picked up 'ZERO' HP on their dyno because the engine could not use the extra flow capability. According to him the "rwhp" would have to be in excess of 700 HP before a larger filter may make 'any' difference.

If the engine can only consume X amount of air regardless and the 'stock' intake tubing size can support a lot more HP according to the people who know and without a tune how does the engine make more HP?

1) The stock air filter used on the LT4 may be a little more restrictive so additional air and fuel with a less restrictive filter that is being metered correctly in the OEM setup will produce more (safe) HP. I found that out when I first went to the higher flow 'Green' OEM replacement filter that Lingenfelter uses in their 720 HP package.

2) Due to the aftermarket units overall design and/or placement of the MAF sensor, etc. the ECM may not be reading all the air that is going in the motor causing the AFR to be leaner which would produce more HP with the 'same' amount of air. However the computer now sees a leaner condition from other sensors like the exhaust 02 sensors and starts to modify to bring the tune back in line. Well now we have an engine that is being metered (per all the sensors) within acceptable limits and due to some additional air being ingested from less restriction the car still is making more hp than stock BUT not as much as that very first pull or so on the dyno, If you check my AFE/BMS real world track test out (link in my post above) I think it may point in that direction.

3) Being I have both setups that I paid for and can use I don't believe I have a dog in this fight. My interest is increasing the car performance using what really works; that is why I try stuff and also remove stuff if it does not work. And I appreciate others like Terry of BMS that will report the 'real' results.

PS: Now if its a really cold day and/or the barometric pressure is up the 02 molecules are closer together which means more oxygen in a giver space and as long as knock (reduced timing) does not step in you are going to go quicker/faster. That is why the stock record was set in the Northeast (MD) in December!

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 10-18-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:51 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
Terry @ BMS has pointed this out.

He has said something along this line; if the engine can 'only' consume 1,000 CFM's than building a 1,400 CFM system (CAI) will not add additional horsepower. He also said that they modified (cut the front air filter supports off, etc.) the OEM air box to accept a longer/larger 'test' filter which flowed a lot more CFM's (capable of more HP) than the one they sell but the engine picked up 'ZERO' HP on their dyno because the engine could not use the extra flow capability. According to him the "rwhp" would have to be in excess of 700 HP before a larger filter may make 'any' difference.

2) Due to the aftermarket units overall design and/or placement of the MAF sensor, etc. the ECM may not be reading all the air that is going in the motor causing the AFR to be leaner which would produce more HP with the 'same' amount of air. However the computer now sees a leaner condition from other sensors like the exhaust 02 sensors and starts to modify to bring the tune back in line. Well now we have an engine that is being metered (per all the sensors) within acceptable limits and due to some additional air being ingested from less restriction the car still is making more hp than stock BUT not as much as that very first pull or so on the dyno, If you check my AFE/BMS real world track test out (link in my post above) I think it may point in that direction.

That would be assuming everyone installs the Aftermarket intake on then dyno'd the car. What I saw was results 599-604 rwhp first pull on the dyno but this was after the intake had been installed for at least 3 months and driven 5,000 miles or more. Indicating a 40 rwhp over stock.
I also read the data driving around when I installed my first Halltech and it only was reading plus 3 on the long term fuel trims.
Then on the second observation a 35-30 rwhp from a second Halltech install on an A8 car. . The stock filter and intake combo restrict power vs using a Halltech intake
I no longer care about this old argument since I have one car tuned for the mods and the other is getting the mods soon the 2300 is already sitting here.
But just saying what I saw. the gains are retained and do not go away from an intake install.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 10-18-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:47 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

for those of you with HT, or AFE, post your dyno graph. I'm not buying "butt dyno"
Old 10-20-2018, 11:43 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
AFE was good for almost 40 wheel on a load bearing mustang dyno. No tune. back to back

can of race gas (octane booster) put down another 22+ mostly due to no timing being pulled.

anyone saying stock vs just an AFE isnt doing it right. They're legit. I've run Huracan's even performante's full bolt on vipers modified ZL1s etc. This car with just an AFE and can of race has pulls them all. I wouldn't have believed it if I wasmt in the car doing it. With a passenger. Something this car doesn't do without those two things. One because the factory setup is so restricting and the other because of KR.
I had the same result with the Halltech intake. 40 rwhp on M7. This post is right on! You add the 2300 and headers and you really have a *** kicker!
Old 10-23-2018, 03:58 PM
The T-man
Pro

anyone know good tuner in Norcal?
Old 10-23-2018, 08:59 PM
MP&RPZ06
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

AFE CAI, Borla- X-pipe (with no cats on x-pipe), and Katech Ported TB. Three run average was 609 RWHP and 615 RWTQ.
2000 miles on mods prior to dyno run.

First run was the best 610 and 625 RWTQ.

Last edited by MP&RPZ06; 10-23-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:34 PM
thelastday
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Trying to decide whether to do a PTB or CAI first on my Z06. What would you guys recommend?
Old 10-24-2018, 12:38 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by thelastday
Trying to decide whether to do a PTB or CAI first on my Z06. What would you guys recommend?
I did the Mamo TB first. Followed by the Borla Xpipe. No issues. Just put in a BMS filter last night but haven’t drove it yet. The BMS makes close to the CAI on the Z for under $100. I’m personally holding off on a Halltech or AFE until I upgrade the blower. Just don’t see the value with the stock 1.7.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:35 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
The way it's been explained is that the stock tune is too rich for maximum power (for detonation resistance and cooling reasons), and the aftermarket air intake leans it to a better power-producing mixture.
But after a while, the long-term fuel trims (which are carried over to open loop) compensate to take it back near stock values, so some of the initial increase goes away. I think it was Terry@BMS who actually showed this with dyno graphs.

This would apply to stock tunes, and not necessarily to cars which have been tuned.
I see.
This theory is correct to a degree. And yes some of the gains could be learned away.
But the reduction of the original gains is relatively small.

Let’s agree;
1. Some of the gains from the filter/CAI change simply come from more available air flow (less restriction).

AND

2. Some of the gains come from the CAI leaning out the AFR.

Can we agree that any gain from #1 above should remain relatively constant regardless? This is based on the fact that if the PCM sees more air we know it adds the proper amount of fuel to keep the commanded AFR. Thus as long as the additional airflow provided by the filter/CAI is available and more fuel is added to maintain the AFR the result is more air and more fuel at the correct ratio and this must result in more power. Thus the power gained from the additional air is always available.

So that brings us to #2 above but we are forced to revisit the theory in order to keep things straight.

The theory says the gains will be learned away based on the percentage of positive LTFTs. It says that after a period the LTFTs that are learned in closed loop will compensate for the intentional lean condition the CAI manufacture tricked the PCM into at WOT. This lean condition occurs because the CAI maker doesn’t allow the MAF sensor to “read/see” all of the airflow and thus it under calculates (misses) some air and underestimates the correct amount of fuel to maintain the commanded AFR. Thus the resulting leaner AFR produces more power on top of what we gained in #1 above.

Very sound logic. But let’s look a little deeper.

The theory says the PCM adds the positive LTFT’s it has learned from closed loop into the WOT fuel calculation. This brings the AFR back to commanded and this is how open loop can “learn” without having a feedback loop. This open loop “learning” (applying the LTFT’s to WOT) should correct fueling and get rid of the “lean AFR” the CAI tricked the PCM into. Thus causing some folks to claim the gains from the extra airflow are “learned” away.

The key here is SOME of the gains may be learned away.

How much of the gain can be learned away? Let’s apply some logic.

Most folks that have added CAI’s have seen the LTFT’s go positive about 2-5% (more fuel).

Many of the dyno runs done immediately following CAI installations see the AFR go .2 or.3 leaner which is in line with the LTFT’s folks are seeing after putting some miles on the car.

For the sake of discussion let’s say the initial gain from the CAI is 40 horsepower.

Let’s worst case the positive LTFT’s at 5% and say the PCM added 5% fuel to WOT.
By default this means at most 5% of the WOT fuel calculation is affected by LTFT’s.
So at WOT, 5% fuel is all that can possibly be “learned away” or corrected for by “learned” LTFT’s.

This means that of the 40 horsepower gained from installing the CAI, at most 5% of that 40hp gain came from tricking the PCM into a lean condition.
5% of 40 horsepower is a staggering 2 horsepower. Therefore at most 2 horsepower is learned away over time.

To add another blow to this theory is the fact that not all of the LTFT percentage is brought over into the WOT calculation. There are many discussions about what amount of the LTFT is added to the WOT calculation. But many say only a percentage of the entire LTFT correction is added to WOT.

Last edited by dar02081961; 10-24-2018 at 02:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dar02081961:
Oskee (10-25-2018), speedsquad (10-24-2018), timmyZ06 (11-10-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 02:45 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by thelastday
I vote CAI first, but you cant go wrong either way.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:57 PM
KillerC7zo6
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Thoughts on GM Performance intake? Trying to avoid codes on my 19 Z06

Get notified of new replies

To If you're on the fence Re: CAI don't be...

Old 10-24-2018, 11:31 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KillerC7zo6
If GM's intake had been available 3 years ago I probably would have purchased it.
It has several positives going for it even though it doesn't claim to add as much power as some of the others.
I have not seen a head to head comparison of the GM with another CAI.

So this is strictly my opinion without any data to back it up.
I think any of these CAI's made by reputable companies to include the GM CAI will all dyno within 5 hp of each other.
If this were ever proven to be true the GM would be the no brainer choice for obvious reasons. JMHO.

Last edited by dar02081961; 10-24-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:06 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I got a short test drive in last night after getting the BMS installed. Throttle response is even better than with the Mamo TB alone. Was actually quite surprised with that. Very happy with the big 3 mods with no tune and the MGW shifter. I’m calling it quits on mods until I am in position to upgrade the blower.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:09 PM
The T-man
Pro

Use aFe = no code worries

Originally Posted by KillerC7zo6

Quick Reply: If you're on the fence Re: CAI don't be...