C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

No smoke, No smell, No mess just a little steam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 11:33 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,739 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Default No smoke, No smell, No mess just a little steam?

Is it normal to see a little steam coming out the top of the hood near the windshield when your driving your Z06 and it is running normal temperature and the temperature outside is about 75 degrees. Opened up the hood and saw nothing at all when I parked the car. Thanks Dave

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 09-02-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:09 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 958 Likes on 621 Posts

Was it raining? Had you washed it & drove it home or washed at home then parked it recently? Perfectly normal if water gets into areas of engine bay then steams off. If not water recently then you MIGHT have something else going on. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2018, 12:15 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by madrob2020
Was it raining? Had you washed it & drove it home or washed at home then parked it recently? Perfectly normal if water gets into areas of engine bay then steams off. If not water recently then you MIGHT have something else going on. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. Car was perfectly dry no rain or wash just saw like vapor steam coming out the top of hood towards bottom of windshield. Never noticed this before . Opened up the hood when I parked the car at home and saw nothing at all.

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 09-02-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:29 PM
vettejeff
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Have never had that on my 2016 Z07. You might want to get that checked out. Should not be steam coming from hood at all!
Old 09-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,955 Likes on 5,345 Posts

I have washed my car one day and pulled it into the garage and not driven it for a couple of days and have gotten steam coming out of the hood vent after the radiator gets hot enough to boil off any moisture that hasn't evaporated out of the radiator fins yet. This is especially true in high humidity areas where water doesn't evaporate quickly in areas where there is little air movement.

Bill
Old 09-02-2018, 02:24 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have washed my car one day and pulled it into the garage and not driven it for a couple of days and have gotten steam coming out of the hood vent after the radiator gets hot enough to boil off any moisture that hasn't evaporated out of the radiator fins yet. This is especially true in high humidity areas where water doesn't evaporate quickly in areas where there is little air movement.

Bill
Yup, me too.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:49 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

this happens to me quite frequently, when it's raining and at s stoplight the car has a bunch of smoke exit the hood. lol
Old 09-02-2018, 03:15 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys it is very humid here in Massachusetts. Did not notice this before it looked like just a little vapor gas exiting the hood . Like I said when I got home opened up the hood and did not see absolutely nothing except a very clean engine. I was trying to think it was heat coming of the super charger but I don't know.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:21 PM
MP&RPZ06
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Bill
Same results for myself as well especially after driving in rain.

Last edited by MP&RPZ06; 09-02-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:34 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Bill
Thanks Bill,makes a lot of sense probably what I experienced .I will keep a eye on it on my next few cruises. Bill thanks again have gone on several more drives no problems at all!

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 09-05-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To No smoke, No smell, No mess just a little steam?

Quick Reply: No smoke, No smell, No mess just a little steam?