C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Turbo vs. Procharger F1X dyno comparison

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 10:53 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Turbo vs. Procharger F1X dyno comparison

We finally started to make some power on the turbo setup for the C7Z after removing the F1X when it ate itself at a 1/2 mile event last fall. Same engine (stock), heads (stock), cam (32%), trans (A8), diff, and fuel (E85). Both on the same dyno, same shop, same tuners, same Texas summer heat, and same correction factors. When you think about straight line performance, the F1X rules the landscape for the C7Z world with a few high performing JTM TT cars in there posting some impressive ET's and Trap Speeds with quite a bit less power. Now I know people make a hell of a lot more power and run a hell of a lot more boost on the F1X than 19psi, I did as well....but it's interesting to see the parasitic loss the F1X has lb for lb vs. the turbo...or it was to me at least. Before getting to worked up about dyno numbers....this dyno doesn't read high (no Dynojet numbers), actually read about 20hp less than a Mustang Dyno I used previously on 7psi when we first started to dial it in. This is just a comparison of graphs, not comparing my dyno numbers with anyone else's car on some other dyno in some different climate.

F1X at 19psi (Black) vs. Precision 88/84 single turbo (Red).

F1X at 23psi (Black) vs. Precision 88/84 single turbo (Red)

388ci ZR1 pretty well fully built (Black) vs. Precision 88/84 single turbo (Red)....that torque difference down low though, gawd damn!

In the future, I will post some more graphs once we turn up past 19psi (ran out of WG spring, stiffer one on the way). Plus I have some nitrous on the car which will be used to wake the turbo up a little faster down low, but it will turn off once we see 10psi as the turbo is capable of making more power than my motor or tranny will hold, but a big single on a stock cube motor could use a little kick to get her going. Plan is to run at the NOLA 1/2 mile this September, so between now and then is just getting it all dialed in.

Big thanks to Pat G. (HP Tuner), Naoto from NCS Designs (Motec tuner), and M2K Motorsports for building the car, turbo kit, etc. Can't say enough about their quality of their work and effort over the past few months.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:05 PM
rflow306
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by lane_change
We finally started to make some power on the turbo setup for the C7Z after removing the F1X when it ate itself at a 1/2 mile event last fall. Same engine (stock), heads (stock), cam (32%), trans (A8), diff, and fuel (E85). Both on the same dyno, same shop, same tuners, same Texas summer heat, and same correction factors. When you think about straight line performance, the F1X rules the landscape for the C7Z world with a few high performing JTM TT cars in there posting some impressive ET's and Trap Speeds with quite a bit less power. Now I know people make a hell of a lot more power and run a hell of a lot more boost on the F1X than 19psi, I did as well....but it's interesting to see the parasitic loss the F1X has lb for lb vs. the turbo...or it was to me at least. Before getting to worked up about dyno numbers....this dyno doesn't read high (no Dynojet numbers), actually read about 20hp less than a Mustang Dyno I used previously on 7psi when we first started to dial it in. This is just a comparison of graphs, not comparing my dyno numbers with anyone else's car on some other dyno in some different climate.

F1X at 19psi (Black) vs. Precision 88/84 single turbo (Red).

F1X at 23psi (Black) vs. Precision 88/84 single turbo (Red)

388ci ZR1 pretty well fully built (Black) vs. Precision 88/84 single turbo (Red)....that torque difference down low though, gawd damn!

In the future, I will post some more graphs once we turn up past 19psi (ran out of WG spring, stiffer one on the way). Plus I have some nitrous on the car which will be used to wake the turbo up a little faster down low, but it will turn off once we see 10psi as the turbo is capable of making more power than my motor or tranny will hold, but a big single on a stock cube motor could use a little kick to get her going. Plan is to run at the NOLA 1/2 mile this September, so between now and then is just getting it all dialed in.

Big thanks to Pat G. (HP Tuner), Naoto from NCS Designs (Motec tuner), and M2K Motorsports for building the car, turbo kit, etc. Can't say enough about their quality of their work and effort over the past few months.
Very nice, big single on nitrous is a killer combo.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:45 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Mentioned it in the other thread but a quick spool valve could help bring the turbo on a little quicker. Been done on older corvettes and f-body's. N2o would also hel. Maybe a 100 shot down low that tampers out as the boost comes in? Also it would be nice o see you add some more boost up top so you can carry the torque out further.

killer setup though!
Old 07-14-2018, 10:47 AM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Mentioned it in the other thread but a quick spool valve could help bring the turbo on a little quicker. Been done on older corvettes and f-body's. N2o would also hel. Maybe a 100 shot down low that tampers out as the boost comes in? Also it would be nice o see you add some more boost up top so you can carry the torque out further.

killer setup though!
Yea, we will be working on the boost curve Friday to see if we can ramp it in a little faster and we are swapping springs and will carry more power up top as well, you can see above 6100rpm is when the wastegate opens with the current spring, so that has to go away. Turbo seems like it wants more, so I feel obliged to concede to its desires.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:49 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

1040 rwhp is solid power for 19 psi... although I'm surprised its coming in so late. Are you just on the spring pressure or using a boost controller? From 5300 it rips, but below that, its hella soft... I assume the turbo is just not being pushed hard enough yet to get it its efficiency range.... It should work well though with the A8...

I bet there is another 200-300 hp sitting there at the push of a button... I KNOW Pat will find it.

And no doubt, its taking 250+hp to run that F1X at 23 psi... if not more.... That's why turbos are so much easier on engines and fuel systems....

Last edited by ajrothm; 07-14-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:15 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ajrothm
1040 rwhp is solid power for 19 psi... although I'm surprised its coming in so late. Are you just on the spring pressure or using a boost controller? From 5300 it rips, but below that, its hella soft... I assume the turbo is just not being pushed hard enough yet to get it its efficiency range.... It should work well though with the A8...

I bet there is another 200-300 hp sitting there at the push of a button... I KNOW Pat will find it.

And no doubt, its taking 250+hp to run that F1X at 23 psi... if not more.... That's why turbos are so much easier on engines and fuel systems....
This is just spring pressure...we have not started on the Motec boost control or anything to bring it on sooner. Just trying to see what duty cycle command adjustments made, and we ran out of spring at 19psi. Should be able to bring it in a bit sooner and with the stiffer spring, we can carry a few more lbs up top to keep it from laying over. Also hoping once it’s got more load on it, it comes in a bit faster as well, but who knows. Curious to see the boost response between shifts vs the rpm defendant boost on the F1X.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:41 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Forgot you had the motec on there! Get the anti-lag turned on and let it eat! That will sort out any lag between shifts / during launches!
Old 07-16-2018, 11:05 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by lane_change

This is just spring pressure...we have not started on the Motec boost control or anything to bring it on sooner. Just trying to see what duty cycle command adjustments made, and we ran out of spring at 19psi. Should be able to bring it in a bit sooner and with the stiffer spring, we can carry a few more lbs up top to keep it from laying over. Also hoping once it’s got more load on it, it comes in a bit faster as well, but who knows. Curious to see the boost response between shifts vs the rpm defendant boost on the F1X.
In reality, boost should remain fairly constant after shifts with the turbo since you are not letting off the gas (reducing the load)... MAYBE on the 4-5 shift you could see a slight dip/change but, I doubt it will be much...Unlike on a centrifugal car and the boost drops after each shift, especially on the 4-5 shift...Unless you have a converter with good shift recovery like I did in my C5Z...even with a centrifugal, I NEVER saw anything under 19 psi at any time it was WOT.... I had about 800 rpms of shift extension on each shift with the FTI converter so it kept it spinning hard.

I think the turbo will be faster over all once its moving vs your F1x combo...obviously, the hit will not be that good unless you get some anti-lag going. Also CO2 on the boost controller will help spool time. I've fought with this on my turbo bike for years....(using manifold pressure and a light gate spring vs a big spring)...

As usual, sub'd for your results... I can't wait to see you out on the streets here locally battling all of these fast Mustangs we have now days.

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo vs. Procharger F1X dyno comparison

Quick Reply: Turbo vs. Procharger F1X dyno comparison