C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Engine Problem - I Fear the Worse - YOUR THOUGHTS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 02:22 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
C6 Z06 or C7 Z06?
Believe he said C7
Old 06-15-2018, 06:32 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by mdz06vetter
Believe he said C7
Might be worth checking back with him. It was common on the C6Z. Haven't heard of it on the C7Z.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:40 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

UPDATE: Car not fixed yet. It's been down over 3 weeks and I was just informed by my dealer 2 days ago they've been waiting on needed parts that are unavailable/back ordered. I made some calls and pulled some strings like last June when I couldn't get a water pump for my car for over 2 months. The folks with the GM Performance group in Detroit came through again and got me what I needed FedEx'd to my dealer in two days (i.e., final part(s) being delivered today). If my dealer had told me parts were not available I could have sourced them with my contacts in MI much earlier.

In addition to the cylinder head my service adviser emailed me they also need to replace a "wiring harness". Adviser also stated the entire engine came close to "blowing" up. The tech working on the car is very competent but has been away at GM training this week so I haven't been able to discuss what all they found. He returns Monday.

I do know I'll be missing a long scheduled track day this coming Tuesday. Even with the needed parts in hand the dealer won't be able to have it ready for my event.

The service manager says it's a 15 hour job to put it back together. That's a lot of hours. I don't believe the book would call for anywhere near that many hours for a cylinder head so I'm assuming the "wiring" harness work must be significant. Just wish I knew what harness and why it needs to be replaced. I'm struggling to make a connection between a failed cylinder head and a wiring harness.

Sort of sucks but does no good to sweat the little things in life. I'll update when I know more.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 06-15-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:43 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Rick hope you get it back soon and it runs better than new. Keep us posted.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:47 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Hey Rick - was talking with Tony Avedisian of Tony's Corvette Shop in Gaithersburg, MD on Saturday and he indicated he has had to replace heads on several Z06's because the valve guides were elongated!!! He showed me one of the heads and there was so much play between the valve shaft and the guide it was unbelievable! He indicated there have been around THIRTY engine failures plus other problems like you indicate and GM is aware...........
I would imagine he's referring to C6Z's. I do a LOT of reading on these cars am unaware of any issues with the valves/heads on the LT4 as on the LS7.

Leave it to me to be the first....

However, I'm quite certain my current LT4 head issue is not related to valves. Steam coming out the engine compartment AND exhaust sounds like a cracked or warped head to me. FWIW, the car never got "hot".

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 06-15-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:24 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by rikhek
I would imagine he's referring to C6Z's. I do a LOT of reading on these cars am unaware of any issues with the valves/heads on the LT4 as on the LS7.
I'm pretty sure what Tony has to say has absolutely nothing at all to do with the issues you're experiencing, Rick. Keep working through your dealer, you'll get this beaten.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:11 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
UPDATE:
Just wish I knew what harness and why it needs to be replaced. I'm struggling to make a connection between a failed cylinder head and a wiring harness.

Rick
If your cracked head spewed coolant, fuel and/or exhaust unto the harness or their connectors they may need to be replaced. It just takes one line that is partially screwed up and intermittent to have you chasing your tail.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:16 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Hey Rick - was talking with Tony Avedisian of Tony's Corvette Shop in Gaithersburg, MD on Saturday and he indicated he has had to replace heads on several Z06's because the valve guides were elongated!!! He showed me one of the heads and there was so much play between the valve shaft and the guide it was unbelievable! He indicated there have been around THIRTY engine failures plus other problems like you indicate and GM is aware...........
Interesting.... as I am fully aware of the LS7 issues this is the first for the LT4 for me too. I wonder, when I come off the track running hot laps, park the car and restart soon after or up to hours later the car will blow some blue smoke out the exhaust. It last for a few seconds only then all is well. Could it be when hot the valve guides are allowing oil into the cylinders?

Anyone else notice this?
Old 08-27-2021, 02:04 AM
Joedan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Anyone who owns a car has had to fix it, and sometimes we don't even know what's broken. For example code P0603 on a 7.3L engine, a code that indicates something is wrong. What Is P0603 Code On 7.3 Powerstroke: How To Fix? These are the questions I had. I will be able to find the answers. And I will be able to solve this problem.

Last edited by Joedan; 08-27-2021 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:43 AM
Harbgrogan
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

/clap
Old 08-27-2021, 09:51 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

The combined knowledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me. Much more knowledge than I'll ever have.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:12 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,954 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Joedan
Hi. Anyone who owns a car has had to fix it, and sometimes we don't even know what's broken. For example code P0603 on a 7.3L engine, a code that indicates something is wrong. What Is P0603 Code On 7.3 Powerstroke: How To Fix? These are the questions I had. I will be able to find the answers. And I will be able to solve this problem.
You do know this is a 3 year old thread??

Bill

Quick Reply: Engine Problem - I Fear the Worse - YOUR THOUGHTS?