C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 ZO6 A8 or M7 for Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 03:16 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

The auto will spin tires easier than manual because it is lower geared. With the M7 1st gear red line is 62 mph. The manual doesn't spin in 2nd very easy because of the high gearing. Yes, it spins easy in the rain, but that is because of the summer tires. If you wanted to go high tec and feel more like an F1 car you could try the A8, but it comes with some disadvantages. Such as not the same connected feel as M7, can't turn off V4 without using an aftermarket device, there have been some reliability issues, etc.
The following users liked this post:
VenomStriker (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 01:41 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

To Venomstriker, actually Sir you are correct, that is what this forum is for. You bring up valid points, my apologies

Last edited by bgspot; 04-06-2018 at 01:42 PM.
VenomStriker (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 09:09 PM
VenomStriker
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bgspot
To Venomstriker, actually Sir you are correct, that is what this forum is for. You bring up valid points, my apologies
No worries bgspot. We're good.

This issue is probably the most divisive among members of our community. Us manual people like our superior/niche feelings since we believe that a car isn't a sports car unless it's a manual--ME INCLUDED! My usual answer to the "is that a manual"--well of course, why would you even have to ask...as I'm sure many others say something similar. Driving a stick for me is as natural as anything. I was just concerned by how powerful this car is...hence the question. If this was a regular stingray, it wouldn't even enter my mind to get the A8. Btw, not judging anyone who has an A8 either, stingray or otherwise. lol
bgspot (04-07-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 09:27 PM
lupicon
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by VenomStriker
No worries bgspot. We're good.

This issue is probably the most divisive among members of our community. Us manual people like our superior/niche feelings since we believe that a car isn't a sports car unless it's a manual--ME INCLUDED! My usual answer to the "is that a manual"--well of course, why would you even have to ask...as I'm sure many others say something similar. Driving a stick for me is as natural as anything. I was just concerned by how powerful this car is...hence the question. If this was a regular stingray, it wouldn't even enter my mind to get the A8. Btw, not judging anyone who has an A8 either, stingray or otherwise. lol
Many good points here all around. I drive in major traffic all the time. No brainer to get manual if that was not the case. I'm also aligned to your point on the power of the car and that factoring into my decision. In Stingray/GS form it would be an M7 for sure..not certain I trust myself enough in a Z06 if I get on it and mess up a shift. This is my 6th sports car--with the previous 5 being manual. I'm considering a GT350 or Mustang PP2 to kick around in when I miss rowing gears.
VenomStriker (04-18-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 11:02 PM
96ss#80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Hardest decision to make when buying then you have to make that choice. For me it was I was torn between my love for the manual and my want of the Automatic. I went with the M7. but for good reason I went back and bought the A8 I wanted.

Real world both cars are different animals. I say both cars because they really are different cars. With the 2 transmissions. Esp when you equip
them differently. With the M7 I have the comp seats and MGW shifter plus headers and more. Talk about race car feel.

Then with A8 the GT seats
the Car offers not really any race car feel but a more understated more luxury feel and touring car feel. More relaxing to drive.
Love having both and feel real lucky!
Congratulations on having both! You seem like the perfect person to ask...
If you had to pick for what ever unknown reason. Which one would you keep, if you could only have one? And why?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:47 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

OP, all my prior performance vehicles have been manuals. But automatics have gotten so good, that I was on the fence this time. It was my wife who helped me make up my mind. While she is extremely competent with a manual, has driven them for years, has driven all of the extreme-performance cars I've had, and regularly drives her manual shift motorcycle, she often gets stuck in some hellatious traffic backups going to and from work, so expressed a preference for the auto based on that alone. I couldn't think of a compelling reason not to get the auto, so that's what we did. No regrets.

Yes, it took me some time to get used to, and learn how to use it to best advantage performance-wise. If one wants to shift manually, that's available via the paddles. The manual, on the other hand, has no auto shift feature available, and no option to not use the clutch during stop-and-go driving.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 04-07-2018 at 07:50 AM.
VenomStriker (04-18-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 09:20 AM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

When shopping for a C7, I had the same exact questions. I love a manual transmission in pretty much any vehicle and my previous C6 was an M6. The M6 in traffic was why I started thinking about an auto and seemed like sacrilege- my wife even questioned my sanity!

Went and drove both back-to-back in the C7 and discovered the A8 not only worked well but was a lot of fun to drive. Focused my search on an A8 and could not be happier. I'll say that I drive the Vette far more now than I did with the C6, especially going to/from work specifically because it is an auto. The car is much more enjoyable as a daily driver especially since the traffic here is varies from moderate to paralyzing.

When in a more "sporting" mood, the paddle shifters are great but freely admit not the same as a stick and clutch but will concede in some ways better. Many will complain about lag with the paddles and it IS there, if you're just poking through the gears in routine driving. Once you become a bit more aggressive (the car changes to "Performance Shift Active" mode) the shifts are crisp and would suspect much quicker than possible in a manual for all but the most experienced racers.

In the end, it is a personal decision. One I made begrudgingly (and was even 2nd guessing the day I took delivery) but have been VERY pleased with ever since. If I had it to do all over again, I'd now go with the A8 again without hesitation.

Get the A8, it is a great option IMHO...

Allen
Old 04-08-2018, 04:01 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I would go auto, quick shifts, not having to shift in traffic, and can still be fun with the paddles.

Quick Reply: C7 ZO6 A8 or M7 for Daily Driver?