C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

3 month update on wreck: GM can't/won't find this ONE PART

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 08:10 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Agreed with contact Mary Barra. Directly. And remind her this will be the last GM product you ever buy after this experience. And nobody would blame you. It's unacceptable.

her office will rectify issue.

some of us have a phone number of a guy on the corvette team. I will send a text today with a pic and the link. Who knows? Maybe the right people haven't heard about this yet?

I'll pm you when i hear back.
Much obliged. The thought that I might never see my car again because of a few seconds of somebody else's road rage, followed by inability or unwillingness of a gigantic corporation to cough up one critical part, is a mighty sad one.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:08 AM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by trevor90
for those of you saying "total it" this is not up to you. Dont care who you are. This is up to your insurance.

I'm having some of the same diffuculties right now getting parts for a 18' ZL1, it's been a month long **** show with the dealer bringing me 1, 2 parts every other day... it's a mess.

But it sounds like the other insurance is at fault. If he gets his insurance involved because there seems to be no resolution maybe they can get the ball rolling.

If the at fault insurance company feels like they are going to have to eat it I bet the part gets tracked down in a hurry.

If not... it goes away.

At least the power of CF seems to be getting this Mary gal involved.

Who is she for those of us who don't know?? She sounds brilliant!
Old 02-14-2018, 10:43 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

^^ Mary Barra = CEO of General Motors. Drives a black Z06 convertible.

You could be on the right track about letting the at-fault insurer know of the holdup. They'd rather pay for repairs than a total, I'm sure. Let's see what magic we can do here first, though.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:55 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Made the call to the official GM customer assistance line today. The rep was of course a great listener and very sympathetic and gladly took all my information. I should get a call back from a more senior rep by Monday. I'm sure I will, but whether it's to say our part is underway, or no longer available, or somewhere in between, I won't know until then or later.

Those of you who have strings to pull quietly, feel free to do so. Today it's vert weather, almost 80 and sunny, and will be tomorrow. Rolling down the windows in an Altima just isn't the same.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:37 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Again, write an email to Mary Barra.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:23 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
GM Customer service will get you nowhere, you are just wasting time.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:44 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Repeat. Get in touch with Mary. However, don't threaten with useless threats such as this is going to be the last GM car you are going to buy. Just tell her the problem and what will make you happy. That way the GM people know exactly what it will take to satisfy you. That makes the job easier.

I suspect Service Parts is scrambling trying to get more parts on order and parts intended for the assembly plant can't be diverted to spare parts duty due to production constraints. Depending on when they saw they were short parts and started the replacement order it could be a while before the supplier produces the parts. It used to be you could get an estimate of the lead time it would take for a back order part to be provided but over the last few decades manufacturers have stopped providing that courtesy.

Bill
Old 02-19-2018, 05:50 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Try emailing SMC Performance there in Auburn Hills, Mich. www.smcperformance.com A few years back I needed a part for C5 and GM had the part as out of production corvette shop or dealers could not find part in USA. I found this company that had it in new old stock and they had a few of this part . They do new old stock on C5, C6 ,Caddy XLR and there web page says C7 but I didn't C7 parts listed might be worth giving them a call or email. They carry a lot of C5 and C6 parts. Hopefully they will have the C7 part you need. I did most conversation by email.

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 02-19-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:58 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

you need to call''gm corporate customer service in the gm reinessinse center in Detroit,,this is 2 steps above the regular customer service

they are the ones to get the ball rolling,and you need to call your insurance every day and get them involved too

3-4 months is 2-3 months too long to get a car fixed
Old 02-19-2018, 06:11 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by trevor90
for those of you saying "total it" this is not up to you. Dont care who you are. This is up to your insurance.

I'm having some of the same diffuculties right now getting parts for a 18' ZL1, it's been a month long **** show with the dealer bringing me 1, 2 parts every other day... it's a mess.

Not true. My adjuster called me and asked what my choice was. They would go either way and left it up to me. I guess technically that left it up to the insurance company, but ultimately I had final say.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:24 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette
Not true. My adjuster called me and asked what my choice was. They would go either way and left it up to me. I guess technically that left it up to the insurance company, but ultimately I had final say.

who is your insurance company? Disney land?
Old 02-20-2018, 12:43 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
you need to call''gm corporate customer service in the gm reinessinse center in Detroit,,this is 2 steps above the regular customer service

they are the ones to get the ball rolling,and you need to call your insurance every day and get them involved too

3-4 months is 2-3 months too long to get a car fixed
They are still flunkies. You need to call the person who will get somebody to do what you want them to do. When I first started my career with IBM I worked for a manager who when looking for some cooperation from another area would ask anybody who said NO, "Who do I have to call to get you to do what I want you to do". That is the lowest level person you call. If you don't know the hierarchy starting with Mary is the way to do it.

Bill
Old 02-20-2018, 11:31 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

If a vehicle is unrepairable regardless of reason its a total loss. If a part is not available for sale it makes the vehicle unrepairable from the insurance perspective. Get back with the insured's insurance adjuster and let them know parts to repair have become unavailable and the car is not repairable and ask them to total on that basis.

Also if you are not at fault and the other party insurance is footing the bill for a rental, why in the world are you putting around in a Nissan Altima? You are entitled to like kind replacement transportation. Likely not a vette, even though Hertz does rent them but you could have pushed for significantly better than a Nissan Altima. Likely could have been driving a Caddy or full size SUV.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:33 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Somebody somewhere must have touched a nerve, because this morning the collision shop called to say my part will be here Thursday and we should be back on the road in two weeks. I suppose I shouldn't believe it until I see it, but that's good to hear.

To be fair about the delay in getting it, this part only fits a microscopic percentage of C7s, that is, the 590 MY2016 Z06 Convertibles with manual transmission, so it's not something you'd keep on the shelf. I better try not to get hit again.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:35 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Hooray!
Old 02-20-2018, 12:06 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Also if you are not at fault and the other party insurance is footing the bill for a rental, why in the world are you putting around in a Nissan Altima? You are entitled to like kind replacement transportation. Likely not a vette, even though Hertz does rent them but you could have pushed for significantly better than a Nissan Altima. Likely could have been driving a Caddy or full size SUV.
Exactly. When my car was hit in a parking lot last month (while parked), I was given the run of the lot (except premiums) when choosing a rental car.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:28 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Had a guy pull out in front of me in my '15 Z about 40mph took the left front wheel and control arms off. Had them total it I wouldn't accept anything less. Course mine was front collision so dealing with air bags, a lot more safely issues. Key is taking it to a good shop that is also registered with your insurance company.

Hate to hear what you are going through been there it sucks. Worked out for me got a 2017 Z07 new last year after the wreck, just have to be patient. It will work out for you.

Get notified of new replies

To 3 month update on wreck: GM can't/won't find this ONE PART

Old 02-20-2018, 12:44 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Anything else would have been extra cost. The next one up was a Chevy Equinox, which is a great car that I've driven as a service loaner, but it was $5/day extra. That's not a good value for me, since even the Altima is more space than I need. I drive 500 miles/week normally and a full size SUV fuel bill would be ruinously expensive for no benefit.

On the bright side, the Altima averages 33 MPG with regular gas and I don't have to buy tires, which are a major expense in daily driving any kind of Corvette.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:54 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

HolyRoller Your situation is very disturbing because this is not the first thread complaining about spare parts not being available. I remember there was a shortage of water pumps a while back. Since then, there have been other threads about cars sitting waiting for a part from GM. I'm having trouble understanding how a car can be in production going on five years, but GM has spare parts problems.
I hope you get this worked out. I also hope no one else has to go through what you're experiencing, but I got a feeling we'll see more of these threads.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:03 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,150 Posts

3 dudes in our local club got in various degree of accidents, one was actually hit leaving the dealer after an oil change. All 3 had their cars towed to their favorite dealer and traded them off as is.

Not sure the cost but lot less hassle and they got new cars.

Guy I knew had a Cadillac got hit leaving the dealer, his fault, they had an identical car on the showroom floor he drove it home. Didn’t even wait for the cops to show. Walked into the dealer and told them to get it ready.

Got cited but had a new Cadillac to drive home.

Quick Reply: 3 month update on wreck: GM can't/won't find this ONE PART