C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2018 Z06/Z07 vs. ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 12:09 PM
hawk02
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 616 Posts

As a ZL1 owner who seriously considered a Z06 last year, there were three things that swayed my decision.

1. Bang for the buck. The performance and options offered by the ZL1 at roughly $20G less than a Z06 is a huge advantage for the ZL1. Yes the Z06 is smaller and lighter, but performance wise they're awfully close. The alpha platform of the ZL1 is a giant leap forward over the previous gen Camaro.

2. Uniqueness. C7 Stingrays, Grand Sports and Z06s are a dime a dozen in my area. It seems every middle aged man has a Corvette. In the year I've owned my ZL1, I've seen a total of four in my area. If you want a car that stands out from the crowd, the ZL1 is your choice.

3. Getting in and out of the car, especially for my wife with bad knees was a major deal killer for me. The Corvette just sits too low and the cockpit is too small. My wife has a rough time getting in and out my Camaro. No way she could get in and out of a Z06.

Both are great cars. It was a buddy's '66 Corvette that got me interested in cars during my college days, so I have a soft spot in my heart for Corvettes. With the 6th gen ZL1, the Camaro team has moved the car to a whole new level.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2017, 12:47 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

^^^

Thanks for the perspective. I'm in a C7 Z51 and will probably swap it out at some point next year. On the short list is a Z06 and a ZL1 among others. Up side to the ZL1 is I'd probably drive it more as a daily. For me, I prefer that people think it's a 25K Camaro and don't give it a second look.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:04 PM
revo1059
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Some of the Corvette arrogance is shining through in this thread. Sad.
The following users liked this post:
pkincy (12-06-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Dethsupp0rt
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by revo1059
Some of the Corvette arrogance is shining through in this thread. Sad.
Meh, I don't think it's that bad, and I have a ZL1. People defend what they bought.

I got the ZL1 because I wanted some semblance of a rear seat (my SO and kid fit fine on the passenger side), and the A10 is way better than the A8 in the Z06.

However, I do like the lighter weight of the Z06 . . . so I might trade this for a lightly used Z06 in the future when I no longer require the rear seat.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Torquem
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I was looking to buy an auto Z06 when I saw a ZL1. Test drove an A10 ZL1 and took it home. The transmission is magic. If I had been in the market for a manual?.... I would have gone home in the vette. That being said I get way more comments on this car than I ever did in my last vette. I think the color nabs their attention.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Torquem; 12-05-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:43 PM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

I really liked what they did with the ZL1. There were other reasons, but what killed it for me was the Camaro logo on the steering wheel. There were a lot of things right, but that was very wrong. I can't think of any other car that has wording on the steering wheel for the model. Logo's ok, not word badging though. Terrible.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,952 Likes on 5,345 Posts

There is something about driving a Corvette that is different. When I got my 15 Z06 I took my young neighbor out for a ride. He was into Turbo'd, tuned german cars. While we were riding along a section of Interstate with 4 lanes each way he asked me does this happen all the time? I had no idea what he was talking about and asked him what he meant. He waved his hand and pointed to the other cars around us. He said the people in the cars were staring at us and that many had picked up speed to catch up to us and then pulled in front of us and basically circled around us. There were thumbs up all around us. Having driven Corvettes since 1972 I had gotten jaded on it and didn't pay much attention but his awe at the reactions of the people in the other cars around us brought my first experience in 1972 back to me. I stopped at a McDonalds on the way back home from some trip and the counter workers all went out side and took pictures of my car. Do they do that for Camaro's? Corvettes may be a dime a dozen where you live but plain jane cars are more plentiful and the Camaro falls into that plain jane category as in its basic form it is just a grocery getter.

Bill
Old 12-05-2017, 10:52 PM
mcmillion
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I just sold my Z06, due to a leg injury and got a ZL1. Most of the feedback in this thread is right on. The z06 is a rockstar lots of attention everywhere you go, people taping you, yelling at you, following right in your blind spots etc. it's lighter and you feel that weight difference when you stomp it. No doubt it's a supercar in the way it drives and looks. The ZL1 is quite the opposite it's as comfortable as my wife's Q50 and it blends in pretty well, only car guys know what it is. You won't get the stupid questions at the gas stations like what do you do for work, how much was it. The a10 is magic, I have been devastated not driving manual for the last few months, but this thing is so responsive the hype is real. Even a manual lover could enjoy this car. I would give the interior to the Camaro, lots more microfiber and better layout and the tiny backseat which do work for little ones, mine is 4. Trunk space goes to the vette. Supercharger whine goes to the Camaro, but exhaust sound goes to the Z06, oh my it sounds monsterous when you punch it. The ZL1 has a better stance stock, lower and wheels are more flush with fenders. When I got my Z06 all I could focus on was the 4x4 look and bulging fenders with sunken in wheels. Rear end goes to the z06, the Tail lights on the ZL1 are hideous compared to the z06, luckily they can be changed out with the 1le tails and look more like the Z06. Well you will be happy either way, both great cars and nowadays you can mod anything you want to make you happy. Unfortunately for me manual to auto was not a cost effective swap and once you drive the lt4/a10 it's hard to step down to the a8. Just my opinions so take them for that and I loved my Corvette and hopefully I can love a lowly Camaro, we will see.

Last edited by mcmillion; 12-05-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:53 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
There is something about driving a Corvette that is different. When I got my 15 Z06 I took my young neighbor out for a ride. He was into Turbo'd, tuned german cars. While we were riding along a section of Interstate with 4 lanes each way he asked me does this happen all the time? I had no idea what he was talking about and asked him what he meant. He waved his hand and pointed to the other cars around us. He said the people in the cars were staring at us and that many had picked up speed to catch up to us and then pulled in front of us and basically circled around us. There were thumbs up all around us. Having driven Corvettes since 1972 I had gotten jaded on it and didn't pay much attention but his awe at the reactions of the people in the other cars around us brought my first experience in 1972 back to me. I stopped at a McDonalds on the way back home from some trip and the counter workers all went out side and took pictures of my car. Do they do that for Camaro's? Corvettes may be a dime a dozen where you live but plain jane cars are more plentiful and the Camaro falls into that plain jane category as in its basic form it is just a grocery getter.

Bill
​​​​​
You you are so spot-on bill when I first got my C7 ZO6 I was in awe as well I've been driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the past 15 years and it was so fun every time I would get in the Corvette. People ask if you can rev the engine all the time, they pool around you on the freeway, take videos all the time. The ZL1 Camaro is really cool but to most people's eyes it just looks like a modified Camaro.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:24 AM
C7ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 772 Likes on 371 Posts

Corvettes may be a dime a dozen where you live but plain jane cars are more plentiful and the Camaro falls into that plain jane category as in its basic form it is just a grocery getter.

Bill[/QUOTE]

its interesting that even in Beverly Hills area where u see every exotic car you can imagine, corvette grabs a lot of attn, u won't pass unnoticed, c7 body and interior took corvette to another level, I personally would not buy a corvette if it was any less beautiful than other exotic cars, and in fact z06 is an exotic car,

how many convertible z06/ z07s have you seen ? I can remember only few.
I see about 30 camaros a day on average.

its almost impossible to compare those two cars, camaro is absolutely amazing in every way, and probably more reliable and comfortable and manageable and drivable, but

this is the same argument for Ferrari vs Maserati
same drive train lot more manageable great looking and more affordable but at the end of the day u want the Ferrari not the Maserati to be in your garage.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:38 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I think finances make a huge part of the decision and only you know the answer to that question. Taking that out of the equation, the Z06 is more of a single purpose car and the Camaro more of a Dual Purpose. Early on and single I bought a Corvette. Married with a small child I bought a Camaro. Once I could own multiple cars I had a Corvette and a Camaro and a Mustang. Once I could afford 4 or more cars I always had more Camaros but always had one Corvette, but do to finances and mod costs and possible breakage costs, I first autocrossed a Camaro and weekend drove the Corvette. Than I HPDEd a Camaro and weekend drove a Camaro. Then I road raced a Camaro in CamaroMustangChallenge all the while having one or two Corvettes for weekend use. As you can see sometimes the relative cost of driving, autoxing, or racing the Camaro simply leads you there. I dropped Camaros in the 5th Gen when they became a lot heavier than the C6Zs. Since then I have only had Corvettes. Also I have retired from active racing so don't have that cost factor to consider.

Maybe that gives you an idea what you can look forward to. Whatever you buy now you can buy the other in a couple/few years.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:38 AM
stanklr
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Was in the same boat recently shopping for a used Z06 or a used 2017 ZL1.

Pulled the trigger on 2016 Z06.

Reasons:
- Looks: Z06 looks like a supercar, where the ZL1 looks like any other Camaro with body kits.
- Removable top: loved it in my previous Stingray.
- Weight and size in favour of Z06.
- Seating position: in the Corvette its like you are sitting in an F16, wheres in the ZL1 its like sitting in a boat (high with huge seats)
- Resale value, my expectation the Z06 will hold better value (last front engine Z06 maybe).

ZL1 is great bang for the buck though.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:26 AM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 147 Posts

Nuff said.
Attached Images   
Old 12-06-2017, 09:00 AM
Kazman1960
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
I looked at the Camaro when I was looking at beaters, mustang, hellcat or Camaro, the Camaro was the worst in terms of blind spots for me, didn't want another Ford with the GT coming, don't tell my wife, so I went with the hellcat, nothing melts tires like the hellcat
Much as i like the New Camaro , the newer Mustangs with Ford Racing supercharger are quite a car
Old 12-06-2017, 10:13 AM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

This guy on the 'Ring in a Camaro is pretty pulse-pounding if you ask me.
http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/camaro-sports-car

( You have to scroll to the bottom to see the Nürburgring drive )

That said, I had a 2000 Z28 and it never would hook up. I even bought the wheel/tire package for it from SLP, and it was still a disaster at a stop light, and not fast enough once it got moving. Today's Camaro looks like a much better competitor to Corvette on a price/performance basis.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Stuman45
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 33 Posts

I went through this same decision. I had a 2011 Camaro SS Convertible prior to purchasing my Z06. I was looking at the ZL1 and then went and test drove the Z06. I ended up buying a Z06 because of the removable top and the fact that it is more sports car than muscle car.

I don't daily drive my Z06, I got it only for sunny weekends and track days.

I would think that after driving them both, it should be pretty easy to figure out what you want. I think if I was going to drive it every day, I might lean more towards the Camaro as it is a little more roomy and rides a little better (softer) on the freeway.

I think they are both great cars, but for me the better performance of the Z06, the looks and the removable top are what made me want the Z06 more.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:39 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I had planned on getting a 2017 ZL1 or 2017 GS but when the 2016 Z06s were discounted 20% it allowed me to make a decision to go that way. Both the ZL1 and the GS would have been near the same cost. And at the same cost range it is not a hard decision.

Get notified of new replies

To 2018 Z06/Z07 vs. ZL1

Old 12-06-2017, 08:27 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

My last "fun" car was a '15 Z/28 which, IMO, was the coolest Camaro built. After owning it 2 1/2 years, I started getting the itch for something new. I looked at the ZL1, and 1LE and didn't really care for the body. I thought the Z/28 looked so much better. I wanted a Z07 but at the time couldn't swing the $100,000 to get one. Then the prices dropped $20,000 and it was a no-brainer. The Z/28 was and always will be a cool car, to car people. But it is inferior to the Z06, just as the new ZL1 is. To the common person walking down the street, it's a Camaro, regardless of which letters you put behind the word Camaro.

I don't want to come off as being pompous. That's not my intent. If I could've kept the Z/28 and bought the Z06, I would've.

To me, the Z06/Z07 is way more special than any Camaro.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:38 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 606 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette72778
The Camaro isn't a prestigious car. The Corvette is. If you drive by people in a ZL1, they probably won't say wow. But they will with a Z07. Everywhere I go in my Z07 people want to talk about the car. I'm a celebrity with my Z.
You really care what people think about you and what you drive? Weird.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:29 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wright
I know this being the corvette forum the answer will be Z06 but I’m curious why people chose the corvette over the new ZL1. Price isn’t a determining factor. I’m planning to buy one of the two. How does build quality compare as well as limiting performance factors. I will be DDing whichever chosen. That being said, I don’t want to worry about overheating the z06. Will be purchasing the 7 speed if I choose the corvette.

thanks in advance guys.
for me it was which car I liked the looks of better. ThAf was fhe z06. If it’s a daily driver and your only car then maybe fhe camaro is more practical.

Quick Reply: 2018 Z06/Z07 vs. ZL1