C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Personal Best Lap Time at VIR this Last Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Bigg Slimm
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Koan
I have Bigg Slimm to thank for introducing me to Corvette
Chuck, as always, nice driving.

next year at mid Ohio maybe we can split a session in my z06 and you can let me know your thoughts. I know, you're not getting a z06.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:16 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

Has a DSC and Raybestos pads.

Sorry video unavailable. I can see it and play it, but I'm not a youtube expert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yhv...ature=youtu.be

Absolutely flying in a GS. 3 to 5 seconds quicker than most Driver's are in their C7Z's. I would be nowhere near that quick in my Wife's car. You did it without any drama and a passenger. Just awesome driving!!

Michelin Super Sport's or Cup 2's?

Last edited by Racingswh; 11-11-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:26 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Very nice driving, I really enjoyed your good apex and track out when you were off line entering the corners due to traffic.

You use 2nd gear in a couple of corners. Have you tried 3rd (except in Oak Tree) to see if the saved shift would get you some time?
Old 11-12-2017, 07:24 AM
Koan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm on Pirelli takeoffs...305 and 315 18"s. It is a little undersized in the rear, but not as important with slicks.

I need 2nd to get the scoot out of a few turns. I am losing time with all of the shifts, and I find it difficult to shift quickly with the Corvette's tranny, although the rev matching can make anyone look like a hero. I did try 3rd at the top of the Roller Coaster and in the 4a-4b complex, and it dropped the rev's below 4k.

This car is new to me, and I will say ( as I mentioned to Bigg Slimm), it needs more power. But I'm afraid of the heating issues in the Z. The way I drive, I think I would be tempting fate. The GS has no issue.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

I'm on Pirelli takeoffs...305 and 315 18"s. It is a little undersized in the rear, but not as important with slicks.

I need 2nd to get the scoot out of a few turns. I am losing time with all of the shifts, and I find it difficult to shift quickly with the Corvette's tranny, although the rev matching can make anyone look like a hero. I did try 3rd at the top of the Roller Coaster and in the 4a-4b complex, and it dropped the rev's below 4k.

This car is new to me, and I will say ( as I mentioned to Bigg Slimm), it needs more power. But I'm afraid of the heating issues in the Z. The way I drive, I think I would be tempting fate. The GS has no issue.
Great smooth.......driving You have proved that with our C7's its more about the chassis than the power. Can you tell us about your set ups or mods if any?

I snowmobile with guys that run 800+ cc engines, myself and a friend run 30 hp less 600's. The 600's are just as fast from point A to B and even faster in the tighter corners being more nimble and smoother. The big 800's only have a bit more top end on the straights, negated in braking and turns. It is so similar to tracking why I love both sports.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:38 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

The way I drive, I think I would be tempting fate. The GS has no issue.
Thanks! I was surprised at the grip the Super Sports were providing you.

I think in a Z you would find yourself a gear up which may mitigate most of the overheating or whatever it is that sometimes happens. You may have too much wasted wheel spin costing you time in the lower gear.

A Z will always be 3 to 5 seconds a lap quicker at VIR than your GS driven with the same skill and level of commitment. You just won't come across very many that are.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:43 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24

I snowmobile with guys that run 800+ cc engines, myself and a friend run 30 hp less 600's. The 600's are just as fast from point A to B and even faster in the tighter corners being more nimble and smoother. The big 800's only have a bit more top end on the straights, negated in braking and turns. It is so similar to tracking why I love both sports.
Gilles Villeneuve often times credited Snowmobiling for his exceptional car control. I also have a friend that is very gifted in this respect and does a lot of Snowmobiling as well. Fun sport!!
Old 11-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Koan
Instructor

I think the same is true of downhill skiing. When I get a green student who is a very good driver from the start, more often than not, they are skiers or soccer players.

I don't like the run flats for track. They are surprisingly good at 80%. Above that, they are too abrupt when they lose grip, at least for my driving style.

I agree that at a track like VIR, HP would have a few second advantage.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

We need to figure out how to get down to VIR with everyone from here on CF within a reasonable distance all there at the same time.

In this thread nice driving by everyone. Bill is going extremely quick, Koan is driving the wheels straight off his new GS and Poor-sha's new times made my mouth hang open. Very cool to see these cars being utilized the way they are!!
Old 11-12-2017, 09:30 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the comments back.

Something to think about, at the top of the roller coaster you are going downhill quite steeply and being below 4K for that short time vs concentration on nailing the line (solid already) may get you payback. In 4a/4b complex you upshift to 3rd coming out of the 1st righthander but then breath the throttle before the 2nd righthander so again maybe focus will get you the payback. You also get full on the throttle at/after the 2nd right hand apex which is well before what the torquier Z06 and your entry speed into the climbing esses is strong.

I'd be interested to hear what you find if you try it one session the next time at VIR.

I noted in your video that you were trapping almost as fast at the end of the back straight as the majority of Z06s and were up ~
5 MPH thru the climbing esses. Great drive.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
We need to figure out how to get down to VIR with everyone from here on CF within a reasonable distance all there at the same time....
The National Corvette Museum HPDE the end of June every year is when I believe more of us are together at VIR than any other time of the year - it's the only VIR event I drive 700 miles to get to every year.

Hope to see you there next June!!

Old 11-12-2017, 09:51 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
The National Corvette Museum HPDE the end of June every year is when I believe more of us are together at VIR than any other time of the year - it's the only VIR event I drive 700 miles to get to every year.

Great idea! Hope to see you there.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:35 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

I know my friend Jim McCombs goes every year in his yellow T1 prepared C5Z with a red Phoenix cage in it.

Do they allow cars other than Corvettes to participate in the DE event? I never asked Jim that question as we always had a conflict with one of our events at that time.

Since I have taken a step back from my role with our club it's given me more time to concentrate on driving and opened up the opportunity to head out to other tracks.

We are already planning next season and want to do the March event with Zone 2 PCA at VIR.

I would head down to Daytona but my cars are too slow !!
Old 11-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd love to see what I could do in a C7Z at VIR
Old 11-12-2017, 06:53 PM
Koan
Instructor

AzDave47,

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll try them next time I'm there. Shifting can cost 1/4 second each, so I might be half way there!
Old 11-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!

I think the same is true of downhill skiing. When I get a green student who is a very good driver from the start, more often than not, they are skiers or soccer players.

I don't like the run flats for track. They are surprisingly good at 80%. Above that, they are too abrupt when they lose grip, at least for my driving style.

I agree that at a track like VIR, HP would have a few second advantage.
I took a set of RF Cup2s for a PB 2.03 at WGI last summer in the heat. I got home and could see the cords thru the rubber on the rears all 4 were junk. They do surprise me too on how well they do till death. I need to try a set of slicks soon.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

That would be great during that event to get everyone together. Us VIR newbies could use a few experienced drivers from this CF group to get us up to speed.

Get notified of new replies

To Personal Best Lap Time at VIR this Last Weekend

Old 11-12-2017, 07:24 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
That would be great during that event to get everyone together. Us VIR newbies could use a few experienced drivers from this CF group to get us up to speed.
VIR has some very good high speed turns that pay back good time on the stopwatch if you go after them as Koan does, but they can bite hard, too. Enjoy, learn and run within your skill level. 99% right can be very expensive.

Last edited by AzDave47; 11-12-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:38 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Default Power Loss

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
During the private VIR event on Thursday I had intermittent periods of lower power. Speeds cresting the hill on the back straight are right around 150 when engine is running right and about 10 mph slower when it isn't. When it was occurring I could feel a slight surging in power delivery. No CEL this time. Definitely wasn't an over heating situation. Ambient temps were 71/72 with cloudy skies.

Bill
I finally got the car to the dealership on 11/17 so about a month after I experienced the reduction in power in some VIR sessions. The mechanic checked the Intercooler coolant level and it is right where it was when he vacuum filled it before the event. Some air at the top of the reservoir and the plumbing at the top of the engine is full of coolant with no air in the horizontal parts of the plumbing. There have been no more CELs since he reset the code while working on the car 5 weeks ago. However, when he checked if any codes had been set there were two 0300 misfire codes which means they couldn't be isolated to a particular cylinder. He is going to contact the GM Engineer who was advising him the last time and send the Freeze Frame Records to him. I thought I would post a copy of them here to see if anybody has any thoughts about what is going on. They will be in the attached PDF file. I will be uploading the videos from the last track day as well.

Bill
Old 11-18-2017, 09:02 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I finally got the car to the dealership on 11/17 so about a month after I experienced the reduction in power in some VIR sessions. The mechanic checked the Intercooler coolant level and it is right where it was when he vacuum filled it before the event. Some air at the top of the reservoir and the plumbing at the top of the engine is full of coolant with no air in the horizontal parts of the plumbing. There have been no more CELs since he reset the code while working on the car 5 weeks ago. However, when he checked if any codes had been set there were two 0300 misfire codes which means they couldn't be isolated to a particular cylinder. He is going to contact the GM Engineer who was advising him the last time and send the Freeze Frame Records to him. I thought I would post a copy of them here to see if anybody has any thoughts about what is going on. They will be in the attached PDF file. I will be uploading the videos from the last track day as well.

Bill
Not sure what difference it makes but the fuel rail pressure sensor voltage on sensor 1 is 3.21 and sensor 2 is 1.86. I'm sure you've already seen it but that's the first thing that really caught my eye. That and the fact that all of the misfires occur after 5,000 rpm. Your cat temps look high but that might be normal at that speed and rpm. Looks like all the misfires were in a narrow range of mileage so they all probably occurred at VIR.
Sorry I'm not much help.

Quick Reply: Personal Best Lap Time at VIR this Last Weekend