C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

CAI - No "ACTUAL" Performance Gain Despite Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 02:41 PM
DocHollywood
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

As another poster mentioned, here is an easy test:

Set your performance timer to 30-100 MPH. And log times with and without the CAI.

The 30-100 MPH is a perfect HP test as it's only 1 shift (2-3) and should yield consistent results.

On to your top speed results. I believe it takes MUCH more than 38 HP to move from 167 to 168 due to wind drag. Might be why you didnt see any gains on your run.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:49 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by wagoetzmann
Wouldn't "terminal Velocity" be the speed at which the tires start spinning due to the wind force overcomming the available traction...without adding any additional downforce?
Or where the power required to push the car through the air equals the maximum that the engine can produce. You're more likely to be traction limited on sand (like Bonneville) but I imagine it could happen on pavement too with enough power.

There's a lot of random wrong information in this thread, however. Terminal velocity (when not a function of traction, that is) will increase as does horsepower.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:16 PM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

I think I would have done a before and after on the dyno and maybe 0-60 or 0-100 on the performance timer in your car. You can set it for 0-250 but you won' t ever reach that number.

Anyway good thought provoking thread. I'm preparing to do a video on an aftermarket intake...before and after on the dyno. And I will include some 0-60 and 0-100 times (before and after too).

I will say that the numbers, speaking of the performance timer, will move around in just a 1 hour period. I video'd some 0-60 runs in my stock Z06 using the performance timer and launch control. LC was used to try to be consistent with the launches. I still got a .3 second swing in results.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:03 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHollywood
As another poster mentioned, here is an easy test:

Set your performance timer to 30-100 MPH. And log times with and without the CAI.

The 30-100 MPH is a perfect HP test as it's only 1 shift (2-3) and should yield consistent results.

On to your top speed results. I believe it takes MUCH more than 38 HP to move from 167 to 168 due to wind drag. Might be why you didnt see any gains on your run.
I think you're pretty much spot on here regarding hp and what the difference is that you'll see at a 30-100 mph run. What might be even better is a 60-160 mph run to negate any traction or wheel spin.

Maybe the stock system does well at speed because of the ram air effect once you're over 80 plus mph. On the dyno you don't have this so the aftermarket CAI makes more power, but once you're at high speeds the stock system is competitive since it's getting a lot more air pushed in as opposed to a static dyno run.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:42 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

Late to the party but best way to tell "real world" performance gains are using a VBOX for verified 60-130 times... Or second best way hitting up a good old fashioned 1/4 mile track and evaluating MPH during similar traction runs.

Last edited by Terry@BMS; 10-02-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:17 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry@BMS
Late to the party but best way to tell "real world" performance gains are using a VBOX for verified 60-130 times... Or second best way hitting up a good old fashioned 1/4 mile track and evaluating MPH during similar traction runs.
Terry,

I smirked when I saw you posted to this thread fully expecting a sales pitch extolling the virtues of your air filter at the expense of other available products.

So very refreshing to see you didn't go the sales route, rather, offered a viable option for determining if gains are realized from an aftermarket modification.

You earned my respect! If I end up pulling the CAI after my track day I'll be trying your filter to see if that helps with lap times.

Thanks for contributing and not turning this into a promotional sales thread. Hell, you didn't even mention your filter as an option. Much respect!

Rick

P.S. Sort of ironic that you didn't have to, I went ahead and did it.... Almost feel like I was set up

Last edited by rikhek; 10-02-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:20 AM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

lol I've been a member here since ~1999, I'm an enthusiast first.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,404 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Rick, do you have PDR data from before and after runs? Take a look at the "Boost Pressure Ind", "Intake Boost Pressure", and "Engine Torque Req" values in Pi toolbox.

Also, a better test would have been to see how soon you can get ~140 MPH. The drag over 140 is a big deal on this car.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:50 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Rick, do you have PDR data from before and after runs? Take a look at the "Boost Pressure Ind", "Intake Boost Pressure", and "Engine Torque Req" values in Pi toolbox.

Also, a better test would have been to see how soon you can get ~140 MPH. The drag over 140 is a big deal on this car.
Sean,

I'm guessing you haven't read the entire thread? Main point I make is I was an idiot by mistakenly deleting the "before" run data from my PDR. I had the after but as you know that's useless without the before.

I also state it was really stupid of me to even start the thread without having any "times". The whole "test" was an exercise in futility and worthless without data, most importantly, times....

It will be interesting to me to see what my times are on track on 10/18. I would think if the the CAI helps it will be evident in lap times.

Rick
Old 12-10-2017, 03:22 AM
meinersk
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I added alot of mods and horsepower to my c6z06 but car didn't go that much faster..Clutch was not holding the power...I can only put down what clutch will hold..

Quick Reply: CAI - No "ACTUAL" Performance Gain Despite Dyno Results